Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 15,301 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I've been reading all the forums of people moving and receiving great advice, now im hoping to receive the same thing. i just want to say this place is an amazing reference and blessing for some people trying to make a new life somewhere.
My wife and i are moving to either vero beach or sebastian sometime between July 15th and September 1st. we currently live in upstate ny and are attracted to the area due to the sun, warmth (im from st croix usvi) and small town atmosphere similar to what we have in our tiny town here. We know it will be different culture and lots of seniors, but want to live in the sun. I have been to the port st lucie area once a fe years ago, but due to financial constraints we will not be able to visit before we move down. we know there's a chance of hating the first place we move and having to move again.
My main questions are this:
We are a young professional couple that loves being able to walk our two dogs around our city, on the sidewalk, not on 50 mph highways. is vero beach or sebastian a walkable area? we love walking through residential neighborhoods in the evening. Can i walk my dogs on the beach in the non swimming areas?
Does anyone know of any housing communities that are dog friendly? We can afford up to $1000 per month and hope to rent a house. must have backyard, privacy and be spacious. i have medium size dogs, 55 and 75 lbs. theyre fat and short, mastiff lab mixes, they do not look like muscular pitbulls on steroids! would vero or sebastian be better for dogs?
My biggest question though is... WHAT AREAS DO I WANT TO AVOID LIVING IN?!!!? i do not want to live anywhere it is not safe to walk in the evening and be outside around my house.
any help/advice is seriously appreciated, we will be relying on this info for our decision making. i hope this post is in the right place, if not let me know if i can move it. My doggies appreciate the help also, they love walking and wont give it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 AM

4,541 posts, read 2,263,881 times
I live in Vero so I can only speak for Vero. There are a ton of great neighborhoods all over Vero that are safe and dog friendly. I would avoid anything north of route 60 and west of 58th Ave. You should spend some time driving around the area. There are plenty of older established neighborhoods (16th street to 4th street between 27th ave and 58th ave) that I think you would love and will feel safe in. I will tell you though that Indian River County does not have any dog beaches. You will have to drive south to St. Lucie county to find those. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 15,301 times
Yay someone finally replied! Thx for the neighborhood information that helps so much to narrow down houses to look @. We will not be able to visit first to drive around but we know the chance we take of getting stuck somewhere for a year.
So I've heard many beaches outside of city limits are fairly empty morning and evening especially, I can't walk my dogs on them away from people and clean up after them? Or did u mean dog beaches like dog parks off leash? If not we will go where we need to or find alternatives. Our dogs and us just want sunshine, we will find safe water somewhere!
Do u happen to know of n e specific dog friendly neighborhoods or communities? Or a good realtor who handles apartments?
I really appreciate u takings the time to reply. I hope to run into u sometime in vero, b there in 45 days!!!! Thx again, n e info u come across u think can hlp me u can pm me

Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM

729 posts, read 1,313,249 times
Depending on what type of housing you are looking for, I'd try looking for a long term rental in Barefoot Bay, Sebastian FL. Large manufactured home complex (10,000+ folks), lots of amenities (3 swimming pools, golf course, many groups and clubs) very nice people. It's across Rte 1 from the Indian River (intercoastal); however, it's a bit of a drive to an ocean beach

Old 10-17-2011, 05:56 AM

8 posts, read 28,009 times
Hi, I live in Vero and I'm not sure what is wrong with north of 60 or west of 58th Street. there are many great communities in those areas. Most of Vero is quite safe. Your dogs would probably be considered "large" in many communities. Many condos do not allow dogs, or only allow 1, so you are probably going to be looking for a house rental. Sebastian is its own little town and is more countrified, fewer city amenities but it has some charm. If you are a rugged outdoor person and like more open space, you might try it or Fellsmere (west of Sebastian). As to Vero neighborhoods, really, I like so many of them, you can hardly go wrong. I like being close to shopping, movie theaters, restaurants, library. As to a good realtor for rentals, use the internet, realtor.com, trulia, and the newspaper. There is no one good agency for rentals in your price range. drive around,sometimes you will see a sign outside a house and that is the only listing. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
I'm not familiar with Vero Beach, other than heresay, but I'm wondering why a young couple would want to move to a town with lots of seniors. Wouldn't somewhere less sedate be more fun? Won't you miss being with people your own age?

I would think you would have nothing in common with the people an think the reverse would be true.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,339 times
Thumbs up Vero Beach is not only for seniors!

I guess you are not familiar with Vero Beach because there are plenty of young people who live here and Love it!!!! but the beaches are not dog friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach