U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2012, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,250 times
Default Portofino Shores

My wife and I are looking for a home on the treasure coast of Florida. We plan on relocating and retiring this year. We have been searching RE listings for more than a year. We keep on coming accross Portofino Shores. It seems to be a well maintained finished development. Can any one give me first hand information about the community. I read another thread recently where the writer, who was a realtor living at Tradition, had not a kind word for the development. I would like to hear from someone that lives there. Are there many renters in the community.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM

2,467 posts, read 3,122,568 times
I haven't said anything great about the community because it's in the middle of nowhere - please check on a map for grocery stores and shopping- they have large homes with extremely low prices, they have very low rental prices for even very large homes and from what I understand have and/or are rented to section 8.

The best thing you can do is go see the development when you are here in person. Ask questions of the people who live there- in person -- go around 530 when people are coming home from work and decide for yourself.

You may not like what I have to say, but Im honest about it.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 AM

861 posts, read 652,339 times
I personally love Tradition. I am renting 8 miles from there, but as soon as the new hospital opens, we will be buying a home there. It's well maintained, and ensures a minimal amount of blight that you see in MANY other developments in PSL. I can't wait to move there!

It's not cheap to live in Tradition, but it is worth the price to me.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 8,955 times
My parents live in Portofino Shores and when they're back home in PA for the summer, I spend a fair amount of time there. It's not a bad little place at all. Homes are really cheap but they're moving really fast now. As soon as they come up on realtor.com, they usually have a contract written up on them. But as the other poster said, it's kind of out of the way and shopping is very limited. But if you don't find traveling to go to the local Target, Lowes or Walmart then it's not a bad place. The folks around there are always nice and wave to you, so I don't have really anything bad to say about it. Maybe a couple years ago when real estate came crashing down, the area might not have been the best place to live. But now the housing is being bought up quick and most folks that are moving in are really genuinely friendly. It has some good amenities: gated community, pool( which the kids can't have enough of), tennis, club house with meeting rooms, fitness room, etc.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
I haven't said anything great about the community because it's in the middle of nowhere - please check on a map for grocery stores and shopping- they have large homes with extremely low prices, they have very low rental prices for even very large homes and from what I understand have and/or are rented to section 8.

The best thing you can do is go see the development when you are here in person. Ask questions of the people who live there- in person -- go around 530 when people are coming home from work and decide for yourself.

You may not like what I have to say, but Im honest about it.
I have been a resident of Portofino Shores since the summer of 2008. I would agree that there were issues here when the developer was running the neighborhood but that was some time ago.

Currently, Portofino Shores is probably the most improved gated community in the area and fiscally one of the strongest that we have seen anywhere. The current Board does a fabulous job and the community looks better then ever.

It is strange to me that you seem to be so hard on Portofino Shores and yet you have never lived here and you are brokering property elsewhere. This seems to me to be a personally motivated action and i think you might want to either update your information on Portofino Shores or stop attacking this area in order to promote yours. Also, you might want to update your information on police reports in Portofino Shores as well as the BS accounts of section 8 housing. You know better on both accounts.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 PM

2,467 posts, read 3,122,568 times
I didn't pull Section 8 out of a hat or make it up. It was on the listing for Portofino Shores. When a 5 bedroom 2500 square foot home rents for only $1200, and another 5 bedroom 2800 square foot homes rented for $1300--- it suggests reason to take pause and wonder why they are rented at unbelievably low prices. Some as low as $900.

Out of 32 properties sold since January, all but 6 were under $100,000. One house was sold for $151,308- CASH. I would not want to be his Realtor when he finds out he over paid by about $50,000. Obviously his Realtor didn't do comps on what the house was worth.

I have been there. I have shown property there. No I don't live there and prefer not to live anywhere in Fort Pierce -but, that's my personal choice too. If someone whats to live there I do give them the information at hand, as I just did.

They can see for themselves if the community and the surrounding area is what they want, or not.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
I didn't pull Section 8 out of a hat or make it up. It was on the listing for Portofino Shores. When a 5 bedroom 2500 square foot home rents for only $1200, and another 5 bedroom 2800 square foot homes rented for $1300--- it suggests reason to take pause and wonder why they are rented at unbelievably low prices. Some as low as $900.

Out of 32 properties sold since January, all but 6 were under $100,000. One house was sold for $151,308- CASH. I would not want to be his Realtor when he finds out he over paid by about $50,000. Obviously his Realtor didn't do comps on what the house was worth.

I have been there. I have shown property there. No I don't live there and prefer not to live anywhere in Fort Pierce -but, that's my personal choice too. If someone whats to live there I do give them the information at hand, as I just did.

They can see for themselves if the community and the surrounding area is what they want, or not.

PortoFino Shores is a great place,we have a house here and love it,the kids love it !!!!!!

Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopadv View Post
My wife and I are looking for a home on the treasure coast of Florida. We plan on relocating and retiring this year. We have been searching RE listings for more than a year. We keep on coming accross Portofino Shores. It seems to be a well maintained finished development. Can any one give me first hand information about the community. I read another thread recently where the writer, who was a realtor living at Tradition, had not a kind word for the development. I would like to hear from someone that lives there. Are there many renters in the community.
I have lived in Portofino Shores, Ft. Pierce for 8 yrs coming from the South Fla. area. I love it here.
They have an active Board with a strong President; they are very solvent and have money in the bank to maintain and upgrade the community; most of the homes are now sold or rented since the economy downturn. The mo assn. fee hasn't gone up in awhile and remains at $145 per mo. It is "not" in the middle of nowhere as someone else said. It's 5 mins from the Vero Beach county line where I work and spend most of my time. It's l5 mins from the beach. Banks, pharmacies and groc stores are within 5-10 mins.
We have a beautiful clubhouse and an active social committee with events all the time. We have a huge heated swimming pool, a brand new totlot for children, tennis courts; a beautiful walkingtrail that I use regularly; it has a 24 hr guarded gated community so no one can enter unless they first get approved by the homeowner. The homes have barrel tile roofs which last for 20-30 yrs.
We're very close to I-95 and the turnpike when you want to go to West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale or Orlando airports.
Ft. Pierce has avery nice theatre with big name celebrities, plays and concerts that is l5 mins away, the Sunrise Theatre.
On the whole, I've been very happy here and made some wonderful friends.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 968 times
Default Portofino Shores Houses

Of course, looking online for houses can be deceiving. But the houses in this community look very nice. However, by reading the other posts, I'm concerned about residents being section 8, as well as Fort Pierce in general seeming to have a higher crime rate. What's the deal? I really don't want to sound snobby, but when I visited the area a month back, I found all this to be the case in Newport Isles, over in PSL - houses looked great online, but actually visiting the neighborhood told a different story.

We are moving from PA and know no one. So I'd really like an active neighborhood where we can meet great people. We have two very, young children so schools are important as well.

One last question, why are the taxes so high in Fort Pierce, especially compared to Sebastian and Vero Beach?

Thanks for any info.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 702 times
Default Great Location & Community

We are homeowners at Portofino Shores and purchased our home in 2010. Yes, for a time during the real estate market crash Portofino Shores was not what it is today. A lot of homes were sold to investors and then the market "crashed" and the investors could not sell them, so opted to rent them and unfortunately they were being rented to sometimes large multi-families that made the community take a downward spiral. TODAY it is awesome and safe. The grounds are beautifully maintained and it is a very quiet, family friendly community that we are proud to be homeowners in. There are also many law enforcement officers that are homeowners in the community. We have never felt unsafe and enjoy all of the facilities it has to offer. Our children and grandchildren love to come and visit. The area of Fort Pierce has so much to offer. It is truly a jem of the treasure coast. It is very close to shopping...so I am unsure where that comment comes from. There is a Winn Dixie for groceries less than 5 minutes away...or in the other direction there is a Publix that you can be at in 10...not to mentioned lots of shopping in Vero Beach...a short 20 minute drive. If you are lucky enough to find a home for sale in Portofino...don't wait too long or it will be gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach