Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 07:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times

Advertisements

they were tearing down the building next door...not sure why unless LA Fitness is building its own building

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM

403 posts, read 1,079,278 times
140,000 sq feet of retail space is going to be constructed there and opened in 2014. LA Fitness and Burlington will replace the former Sears Store. The Publix grocery store will be completely renovated. The buildings will be painted and the parking lot will get new landscaping and improvements along with new signage. It's in the link PortStLucieWater posted.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:27 PM

79 posts, read 255,997 times
Does anyone have any information on this? I've searched the web, but all I find are these same articles.

What will downtown Stuart look like?
Fort Pierce parking garage could be model for Stuart proposal » TCPalm.com
Downtown Stuart timeline of changes » TCPalm.com

Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 PM

A drug rehab center is coming to town. Looks like it'll be in the Torino Neighborhood at the Corner of NW East Torino and NW Zenith. An excerpt from the TCPalm..

"The rehabilitation center will be named Torino Addiction Campus and will have two buildings constructed in two phases. The first phase will be a 9,900-square-foot, one-story building with 30 beds, where patients will stay five to seven days to detox from drugs. The second phase will be a 20,500-square-foot, two-story building where patients will go once they complete detoxification..."

URL: Drug rehab center proposed for northwest Port St. Lucie | Map » TCPalm.com

Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Hmmm...I'm sure there will be opposition to that facility. I know I would be supremely irritated if it came in by my house. Isn't there a treatment center already in White City?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:18 AM

I noticed they are re-habbing BUBBAs 2 story building on US#1 in Stuart -just S of the Roosevelt Bridge - Been waiitng for them to do something with that building for years!

STUART — Two abandoned restaurants on U.S. 1 will soon be open again, one as a restaurant and the other as headquarters for a construction company. Rookie’s and Bubba’s Fish Camp have been closed for about 10 years and have become an eyesore at U.S. 1, near the south foot of the Roosevelt Bridge.

Some people might be tempted to bulldoze the buildings and start over, but the new owners plan to keep the original architectural styles from the 1920s and 1940s. The Rookie’s building will be renovated as headquarters for Straticon Construction Services while the Bubba’s Fish Camp will be refurbished and leased to a restaurant owner, according to Mark Jackson, director of business development for Straticon.
“We plan to start cleaning up the property and begin interior demolition within a couple of months,” Jackson said. Final plans depend on feedback from city commissioners and other officials.

The company works with several architects skilled at historic preservation and will select one of them for the local project soon. Jeff Hardin, head of Straticon, and wife Christine Hardin purchased the buildings through another corporation, JC7 LLC, on Feb. 8 for $590,000, according to documents filed at the Martin County Courthouse. That’s a real bargain compared to the $1.76 million paid in 2005 when the buildings were sold at auction to Sunrise Developer Partnership. Sunrise once offered them for sale for $2.4 million, then cut the price to $1.9 million in early 2008.

The buildings have been unused until now. Jackson said the last renovation was in 2001, according to city Building Department records.

The Rookie’s building was constructed in 1926 to serve as the Rob Roy Hotel. The Rice Hotel and Restaurant were there in the 1940s. Henry and Theresa “Daisy” Bielicki bought the property about 1960.

Bielicki’s family lived in five rooms upstairs and rented other rooms for $8 a week with cleaning service provided by Theresa Bielicki, according to their son Martin “Marty” Bielicki. “The neighborhood kids would have a standard three-bedroom home,” Marty Bielicki wrote in an email. “I would brag that we had 16 rooms.”

Theresa Bielicki also operated The Townhouse restaurant on the north side of the bottom floor and other businesses rented the south side.

The Townhouse was also run for a time by Gene Gerkin, who wrote three cookbooks.
The Townhouse was followed by an Asian restaurant, an Italian restaurant and then D&R Pizza.
Jake’s Restaurant was there in the 1970s with its big soup kettle and bookshelves lining the walls. Then Jupiter Crab Co. moved in but lasted only a short time before Rookie’s took over.

Bubba’s was built in 1949 and served as a Standard Oil station in the 1960s, but later became a restaurant. The last restaurant there closed in 2002.
The buildings are on 1.343 acres with frontage on U.S. 1 and Frazier Creek.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Found this really great photo of the new bridge from Palm City to Stuart -- under construction. Not sure when it was taken but great shot.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM

That new bridge is supposed to open in December. I can't wait for it to open so I can walk it and take some pictures. I'd like to see faster progress on the Crosstown Bridge as well. As far as the article you posted about the building at the foot of the Roosevelt I'm glad they're choosing to rehab over bulldoze and rebuild. Historical reference in architecture should as much as possible be preserved as to build on the communities identity.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 PM

City Council of Port St. Lucie has voted to move ahead with the sale of Tradition Studios to Vero Beach Based Horizon Central Global, LLC for 14 million. Only dissenting vote came from Michelle Berger who feels the city should hold onto it in hopes that the value will rise even though yearly the city misses out on taxes from the property and costs the city about 3.4 million annually. TCPalm reported it here: Digital Domain: Port St. Lucie City Council to move forward with plan to sell former studio » TCPalm.com

Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy08 View Post
City Council of Port St. Lucie has voted to move ahead with the sale of Tradition Studios to Vero Beach Based Horizon Central Global, LLC for 14 million. Only dissenting vote came from Michelle Berger who feels the city should hold onto it in hopes that the value will rise even though yearly the city misses out on taxes from the property and costs the city about 3.4 million annually. TCPalm reported it here: Digital Domain: Port St. Lucie City Council to move forward with plan to sell former studio » TCPalm.com
I don't know if this is good or bad. The city paid (bonded) 40 million for this project a few years back and is selling it for 14 million now. Either the real estate market is terrible or the city grossly overpaid for this project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach