Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM

403 posts, read 1,074,056 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am new to the forums on City-Data and because I've noticed the area is lacking a development source I thought I'd start one on here. I've been living in Port St. Lucie since 2008 and there are lots of projects going on from the development of Tradition including Martin Health System's new hospital and the Mann Research center; and infrastructure projects like Crosstown Parkway, the design and build of Port St Lucie Blvd's south end, and lesser known projects like Amtrak's return to the FEC railway and the newest proposal All Aboard Florida. Also, future projects like the bus rapid transit system on US1, the proposed inland port, etc. Any and all contributions are appreciated and I look forward to seeing what new developments are in progress or around the corner for the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 01:57 PM

With Martin Health System's Tradition Medical Center already rising out of the ground Florida Center for Innovation is about to have another phase break ground. According to Mann Research Center's site, a 40k sq ft 1st phase will break ground during the 3rd quarter of 2012. A quick google search points to an August ground breaking. The building will have a direct connection to Tradition Medical Center. A 2nd phase will add an additional 80k sq ft of medical offices, though no ground start date is available for that phase.

Mann Research Center | Mann Research Center

Old 05-27-2012, 02:19 PM

The widening of the south end of Port St. Lucie Blvd appeared on the city's engineering >> projects web page. In an email to the mayor last October, I received a response from the city's Engineering Dept indicating that the project had been conceptually approved by the city council at their summer 2010 retreat. Also, a preliminary Access Management Plan for the roadway had been prepared. Though no funding has been allocated toward this project in the city budget, the St. Lucie County Transportation Planning Organization has placed the adding of 2 lanes from Darwin Blvd. to Becker Road on its list of priority projects with some funding becoming available in the next few years for planning and design. An exact schedule is not available as Funding for the project has not been established.

Currently, Port St. Lucie Blvd. is 4 lanes from Gatlin to Darwin and 2 lanes from Darwin to Becker. Upon completion, Port St. Lucie Blvd would be 6 lanes from Gatlin to Darwin and 4 from Darwin to Becker.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:26 PM

Can't find any information on this but the lot under construction on Port St. Lucie blvd directly north of the 7-11 gas station on the corner with Darwin is going to be a Family Dollar.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Goodwill broke ground February 23rd on Gatlin Blvd between Savonna and the Boulevard. Though it doesn't seem to be progressing the TCPalm reported completion of the store will be in the Fall.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM

Premium Transit/Rail Corridor Study final report commissioned by the St Lucie Transit Planning Organization released June of 2010 recommends the creation of a Regional Transportation Organization (RTO) to better identify a public transit network that serves the needs of the Treasure Coast Comminity. Per the report, a unified transit planning organization serving the treasure coast can better serve the community over various planning organizations serving individual counties. A unified RTO can better compete for new federal transit funding.

Also, the report calls for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on US1 & Interstate 95. Initially, the report recommends running BRT mixed with traffic on US1 with the long term goal of creating dedicated bus lanes as to decrease travel times and create a local public transit identity. US1 was also found to be the corridor most viable for public transit.

Interstate 95 was recommended for more regional travel also with BRT. The report indicated that the service should be evaluated after time to see what service adjustments should be made or to determine if the service should be eliminated.

The report also recommended the inclusion of the FEC to add commuter rail services within the region with a long term connect to tri-rail. As usual Amtrak was mentioned. Since the release of this report the state has created an Florida Rail Enterprise under the Florida Department of Transportation. This agency has the return of Amtrak on its list of projects. Also, Florida East Coast Industries (FECI) recently announced a 1 Billion Venture to create intercity passenger service on their freight line with an anticipated start of service in 2014.

Last, the report recommended the reconfiguration of existing service and addition of new service to serve as feeder lines to the recommended US1 & I-95 BRT lines.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM

The Indian Street Bridge (Veterans Memorial Bridge) is about 50% complete. When complete the bridge will link Martin Hwy (CR 714) in Palm City with Indian Street at Kanner Highway in Stuart. The bridge should be open in July, 2013.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,777,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy08 View Post
The widening of the south end of Port St. Lucie Blvd appeared on the city's engineering >> projects web page. In an email to the mayor last October, I received a response from the city's Engineering Dept indicating that the project had been conceptually approved by the city council at their summer 2010 retreat. Also, a preliminary Access Management Plan for the roadway had been prepared. Though no funding has been allocated toward this project in the city budget, the St. Lucie County Transportation Planning Organization has placed the adding of 2 lanes from Darwin Blvd. to Becker Road on its list of priority projects with some funding becoming available in the next few years for planning and design. An exact schedule is not available as Funding for the project has not been established.

Currently, Port St. Lucie Blvd. is 4 lanes from Gatlin to Darwin and 2 lanes from Darwin to Becker. Upon completion, Port St. Lucie Blvd would be 6 lanes from Gatlin to Darwin and 4 from Darwin to Becker.
This seems pretty stupid right now IMO. I live right off PSL Blvd and Becker. There is a slowdown right when the area schools let out, but you're going to have to stop for a bus no matter how many lanes are available. I think they could put that money to better use elsewhere.

-BTW, thanks for posting all this info. Very interesting and helpful!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,777,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy08 View Post
Can't find any information on this but the lot under construction on Port St. Lucie blvd directly north of the 7-11 gas station on the corner with Darwin is going to be a Family Dollar.
That is correct, and the construction company is the slowest builder I have ever seen. I've been here 2 months now and they are just now framing footers. The last 2 months have been nothing but moving dirt around!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 PM

I've noticed that as well. By comparison the Tradition Medical Center is already rising out of the ground. I'm hoping to follow up with some pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach