Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:57 AM

8 posts, read 20,714 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate the informative discussion above and will avoid manufactured homes.

Regarding a condo purchase,

(a) Are there opportunities for low cost purchases in the area,
(b) What would be the extra costs in addition to the purchase price
(c) To me a condo feels like an apartment (correct me if I'm wrong) , so I was wondering what neighbor noise is like in a condo?

Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
There are --- also depends on what you mean by "low cost".

If you are looking at $15,000 for anything.. be reminded.. you get what you pay for.

Any additional costs for any purchase would be closing costs - they would be very small if you are paying cash. You normally would be asked to pay what would amount to at least 3 months of HOA/condo fees. If you pay cash then getting insurance is up to you to get or not get. Taxes- you can choose to pay once a year (they are due in November and paid in arrears).

Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,409 times
Having owned more than a few condos, you would have to hold me at gunpoint to buy another one. You would not believe the problems that come from owning one. You have almost no control over anything. Someone else will tell you what color your front door has to be painted, in some you have to have the same blinds as everyone else, and on and on. You have to deal w/ a management company AND a home owner's association in every one we owned. Think you're gong to be around other home owners? Guess again, you will probably be surrounded by renters. Got a noise complaint? Just try and find the absentee homeowner that owns the condo above you with the shift worker that is up all night playing loud music. They are nothing but apartment buildings, except if you rent and get the neighbors from hell, you just move. If you own, sure, you can move, but who will be paying your homeowner fees, property taxes and insurance? Want to rent it out? The surest way to go broke is to own ONE rental property. Want to sell? This is not a good time for that nonsense, trust me.

We own a trailer in a Florida city. 2 bdrm, 2 bth, Florida room, new carport, central air and heat etc. Paid $11,500 w/ all the furniture, and could have got it cheaper I suppose, but we were ready to get it done. We have a yard for our pet. It's a senior park (the only kind of park I would live in). There is NO noise. No barking dogs, no teenagers playing loud music or slamming car doors late at night. Our bills each month are around $500, including utilities, insurance, lot rental, cable, phone and internet. The yard is nice, but small, so I can mow it in about 1/2 hour with a quiet electric mower. No one lives above us, or below us, or next to us like a condo. There's a rec room, pool, etc. In our park, which is why we chose it, you cannot rent your trailer out. It's owners only, and that eliminates so many problems you would not believe. We rent the land, so no property taxes, just a once a year $80 state registration fee. Yearly insurance is $600, and that includes hurricane insurance. But I figured all of that in to my $500 a mo figure above.

Hurricanes? just live on the east coast side toward the top of the state. Or at least on the east coast side. Your chances of a hurricane are small compared to the gulf side.

We couldn't wait until I turned 55 to get us into one. We love it. Trailers in age restricted communities are the last good deal left in America.

Last edited by smarino; 09-04-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Hurricanes? just live on the east coast side toward the top of the state. Or at least on the east coast side. Your chances of a hurricane are small compared to the gulf side.
Not sure I agree with this at all.....the Gulf coast of Florida has many fewer hits over the last twenty years than the East coast. But at the end of the day, you live inFlorida hurricanes are something to be considered.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,837 times
I wonder what the real estate commission is on a manufactured home? not much. Is it no wonder they don't like to sell them to you.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
A 1995 or later 'zone III' mobile home will survive a hurricane as well as a house. Most affordable mobile homes don't meet this criteria though.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:43 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,837 times
Where are the good ones located? in PSL?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,105 times
Default Homes

The Savannah's Club off US 1 seems nice ....

Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,327 times
Maybe one of the Spanish Lakes Locations. I have a relative living at the one in Ft. Pierce, it's a nice place. It's near 95 so you won't be too near the water. The owners build concrete block homes on some of the lots as they become available. They look good and are reasonable.

Spanish Lakes Communities - Home

Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
Spanish Lakes here is off US#1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach