Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,545 times

Advertisements

Hey folks! I am looking to relocate to Florida with my family from Brooklyn, NY. My parents and in-laws have properties Delray Beach. I am looking for a good school district, and reasonably priced real estate. Current consideration is Port St. Lucie. After reading some negative reviews about the school, I am now considering Stuart in Martin County. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated on the matter. I am an automotive technician by trade, I imagine the hourly wage isn't any where near what it is in NYC, but are there jobs available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,787,501 times
Welcome and congrats on the decision to relocate. I'm not sure how the job market demand is for auto techs, but I do know there are plenty of dealerships to chose from along US1. Almost every automaker is located on that road, so I would concentrate around there. Is there a specific make you like to work on? I know Wallace is building a new KIA dealership, and they just bought the Chevy dealership from Suburban in Stuart.

Best bet would be to contact a realtor and look in Stuart or Port Salerno. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Thank you for your response Seethe, I am an ASE Master, I have been working for Land Rover for the last 5 years that I have been in the industry. I know that 32$ an hour is unattainable in Florida as a tech, but I am trying to get an approximate pay that I should be expecting and I am coming up short in my research. I have yet to contact the dealers in FL btw, trying to get my apartment up for sale in NY first. If anyone knows what kind of benefits packages are generally offered by these types of employers, or what the employee monthly contribution is for health insurance, etc. I would love to not be surprised when I get there. Thank you for your responses.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,170,291 times
I dont recommend you come down here without a job FIRST, especially with children. Please do your homework on jobs available in the area first.

If you plan on renting they will want to verify a JOB even if you are just starting one here.
Count on needing 3 times the rental amont as gross income.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Thank you for your response FlaLadyB, I plan on getting in touch with the dealers ahead of time before we sell the apartment. We are trying to sell our apartment and purchase a home in Port St Lucie, so I wont be renting. Is it uncommon for techs to own homes in Florida? I am not sure what the economic status in the community is for such professions, things seem to be really different down south. Thank you in advance!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,170,291 times
What you do for a living has nothing to do with whether or not you buy a home. You buy what you can afford and hopefully in the area you want to be in. I'm just trying to keep you from coming down here with expectations that can't be met. Not knowing the area is one huge hurdle when you are re-locating.

If you are planning on a purchase instead of a rental, you will need one of two things... if it's a cash purchase from the sale of your existing home, you need proof of those funds and can close rather quickly.

If you are planning on a mortgage you need to be pre-qualified FIRST so you know exactly how much house you can afford. Your JOB does play a huge role in that since Lenders want you in the same kind of job you have been in where you are now. Closing with a mortgage can take a min of 30 days up to 45. Then again, it would also depend on if the house is a straight sale, a short sale, or a foreclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach