Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM

910 posts, read 2,204,527 times

Advertisements

I understand that a recent health certificate and proof of rabies vaccination is required when you move a pet cat to Florida from another state. My question is, when do you have to present these items - is there a "pet station" at the state line where you are required to stop (perhaps part of the agricultural inspection station)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:16 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,491,074 times
Huh, I had to get a certificate for a horse, but not a small animal. To my knowledge no one will even know you have a cat in your car. You SHOULD have all pet vaccinations anyway, and microchip just in case something happens like a crash, but unless something has changed in the 17 years since i moved to florida, there is no "boarder crossing" for cats.

A health certificate will be useful to go to a new vet as proof of whats been done already, or if you have to immediately board your pet somewhere for awhile while you settle in, and proof of rabies vaccination to get a license for your pet in whatever county you move into.

Edited to add: there are hundreds of stories of travelers who lost a pet when it escaped its carrier in a crash, jumped out of the car, was stolen from the car, hence the need for a microchip. The other thing you don't want to do is stop somewhere for however short a reason and think the pet will be fine in the heat with just the windows cracked open. It won't. If you don't have a vehicle that allows you to keep it running with the AC on and LOCKED at the same time, then run to the bathroom in shifts.

And thank you for being a responsible pet owner, its refreshing.

Last edited by wireyourworld; 02-15-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info, wireyourworld ! I thought perhaps the certificate might be for the new vet once we have settled in. As you say, the "border patrol" wouldn't know we had cats in the car - although we will also have a U-Haul (driven by a friend) which will have to stop, I assume, at the agricultural station, so we would be stopping with him. Well, we will have all the necessary documents, just in case.

We are overnighting with my brother in Georgia, so the cats will have a secure place for the night. And we will certainly not leave them in a hot car for ANY length of time; I hate it when I see people who take their pets to the grocery store and leave them in the car. Why would you need to take your pet on a shopping trip with you ?!?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM

87 posts, read 167,913 times
We drove from South Jersey to PSL with very vocally unhappy cats and a bird. We had a few days between arriving PSL and closing on our house. We stayed at the Staybridge Suites in St Lucie West. As long as we provided a flea bomb for them to bomb the room after we left, they were fine with our cats staying in the room.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM

CHristine, did you ever have to show the cats' health certificates to anyone in Florida ?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 PM

87 posts, read 167,913 times
No, I never had to show anyone anything regarding the cats, not even a rabies certificate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach