Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 19,105 times

Advertisements

Hello, all y'all! I have found the job of a lifetime in Vero Beach, and I start work in June (yikes, next month!) I have been looking at houses in Vero and Sebastian. I am not crazy about communities with HOA rules and fees. I prefer a traditional neighborhood. I have found a great house in Sebastian that is on a "regular" street without mention of a HOA. Is electric power in Sebastian supplied by Florida Power? Do Sebastian residents pay city and county taxes? Any suggestions for satellite, phone, internet providers? And, lastly, are there good or bad areas of Sebastian (and Vero, too)? I spoke with a real estate agent who said some areas in Sebastian were "good" but you can't tell by looking at a map. So any areas to avoid when buying a house? I really like the small town feel of Sebastian. I absolutely love the welcome sign! I am working on getting my father to move with me and he definitely could be the seventh old grouch, unless there is an opening in the original six!

I am thankfully moving from the cold winters of Tennessee to the warm seasons of the Treasure Coast. I can't wait! Everyone I've met on my trips to Vero have been so warm and friendly. The area is gorgeous. The ocean is close. What more could I want?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to give me advice for house hunting. I have to do something soon, so please feel free to offer your opinions!

Look out Florida, here I come!

Margrit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMargrit View Post
Hello, all y'all! I have found the job of a lifetime in Vero Beach, and I start work in June (yikes, next month!) I have been looking at houses in Vero and Sebastian. I am not crazy about communities with HOA rules and fees. I prefer a traditional neighborhood. I have found a great house in Sebastian that is on a "regular" street without mention of a HOA. Is electric power in Sebastian supplied by Florida Power? Do Sebastian residents pay city and county taxes? Any suggestions for satellite, phone, internet providers? And, lastly, are there good or bad areas of Sebastian (and Vero, too)? I spoke with a real estate agent who said some areas in Sebastian were "good" but you can't tell by looking at a map. So any areas to avoid when buying a house? I really like the small town feel of Sebastian. I absolutely love the welcome sign! I am working on getting my father to move with me and he definitely could be the seventh old grouch, unless there is an opening in the original six!

I am thankfully moving from the cold winters of Tennessee to the warm seasons of the Treasure Coast. I can't wait! Everyone I've met on my trips to Vero have been so warm and friendly. The area is gorgeous. The ocean is close. What more could I want?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to give me advice for house hunting. I have to do something soon, so please feel free to offer your opinions!

Look out Florida, here I come!

Margrit
Yes, the electric in Sebastian is FPL. I'd suggest Uverse for tv and internet because of nearly uninterrupted service. If you're an internet power user, you may prefer Comcast which has the option of faster connections. Yes the taxes include city and county. All of Sebastian is safe. There are a few areas with cheaper homes that would be less desirable to some, but it would be obvious upon inspection. Vero is a great town but with more extremes. There are areas that are absolutely beautiful, older, run down areas, and a few that aren't really safe. I was faced with the same decision when I moved to the area. I had settled on Vero, but after house hunting, I couldn't find a house I liked in my price range that wasn't in an HOA. My agent said we should take a look in Sebastian. Third house was the charm. As for your Dad, I'm the seventh grouch, so..... Anyway, what are you looking for, and in what price range?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 19,105 times
Hi Harry!
I am looking for a house with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, up to around $200,000.00. Doesn't need to be a big house. I want to fence the back yard, if not already fenced (the dog needs a place to play). I prefer natural gas for appliances. I am having similar trouble finding a house in Vero that isn't in an HOA. Sebastian has that small town appeal. Thanks for the suggestions on TV and internet! It sure helps to have someone living there to give advice.

Margrit

Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMargrit View Post
Hi Harry!
I am looking for a house with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, up to around $200,000.00. Doesn't need to be a big house. I want to fence the back yard, if not already fenced (the dog needs a place to play). I prefer natural gas for appliances. I am having similar trouble finding a house in Vero that isn't in an HOA. Sebastian has that small town appeal. Thanks for the suggestions on TV and internet! It sure helps to have someone living there to give advice.

Margrit
Sounds like you'll really like Sebastian. Sebastian Highlands is all traditional neighborhoods with a lot of newer CBS homes. It's a good idea to get a home built after 2004 to meet the newer codes. Saves a lot on insurance.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,556 times
I agree with HarryWho..The one area that I would caution you on would be Vero Lake Estates. Low cost housing for a reason. Every area has their caution sections. Make sure you get with a good realtor. We found one when we moved here 4 years ago, plus I did a bunch of research. Yes we were excited on coming down! I thank all the City Data "family" for answering a load of my questions. We also have friends that live in Palm Bay so they guided us as well.

Good luck and I hope you find your own slice of paradise!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM

24 posts, read 63,790 times
If you get a great realtor who knows what you want and the area, you can't go wrong. My wife and I had a great realtor when we bought our house. We were very picky and probably looked at 50+ homes, but she had no problem with our pickiness. We bought a house that is perfect for us and it is on a wonderful street. I prefer Vero over Sebastian, but to each their own (I feel like most of Sebastian is one large subdivision compared to Vero; not all, but lots of it). And like others have said, stay away from Vero Lake Estates.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bava13 View Post
If you get a great realtor who knows what you want and the area, you can't go wrong. My wife and I had a great realtor when we bought our house. We were very picky and probably looked at 50+ homes, but she had no problem with our pickiness. We bought a house that is perfect for us and it is on a wonderful street. I prefer Vero over Sebastian, but to each their own (I feel like most of Sebastian is one large subdivision compared to Vero; not all, but lots of it). And like others have said, stay away from Vero Lake Estates.
Vero Lake Estates wouldn't be my first choice, but, Gifford, Oslo, and that older neighborhood between 9th. ave and 18th st., are worse than VLE.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 05-16-2013 at 07:14 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,556 times
Very true about Gifford and Oslo. We avoided those areas as well. Good advice

Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM

910 posts, read 2,217,763 times
I am familiar with Oslo Road, but wasn't aware that there is a town or area called Oslo until recently. Is it at the corner of Oslo Road and Route One, or further south from that intersection ? The intersection seemed to be an OK area, at least from what I could tell.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 AM

24 posts, read 63,790 times
The real problem area with Oslo is West of Old Dixie and East of 27th Ave, North and South of Olso Rd in that area. There are other little problem areas in Vero, like the old part of the Highlands (South of 21st St. SW and East of 8th Ave. SW), the Dixie Heights area (west of Old Dixie between 17th St. SW and 11th Ln SW), Wispering Palms area (West of Old Dixie between 5th Pl SW and 1st St. SW), etc... That's why a realtor is great. They know what you are looking for and wanting to avoid and will steer you in the right direction. I grew up in a "rough" part of Vero and didn't know it until I was older, so I think all things are relative for the most part. Gifford is the only really big problem area with crime and very poor property values and upkeep. They are trying to improve Gifford, but it is difficult. Vero is quite lovely on the whole; difficult to go wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach