Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at real estate in Vero via the Internet and notice the homes are for sale for a long time. Are there any homes in the 200K price range that are nice, safe area and sell quickly?

The last thing I want to do is buy a house and end up stuck with it if I want to sell.

Even places in Summerplace seem to just sit forever. I know the homes are more expensive but still, this is so close to the ocean and it is just sitting. I don't get it.

Any ideas why this happens and are there any areaas I should be looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
I have been looking at real estate in Vero via the Internet and notice the homes are for sale for a long time. Are there any homes in the 200K price range that are nice, safe area and sell quickly?

The last thing I want to do is buy a house and end up stuck with it if I want to sell.

Even places in Summerplace seem to just sit forever. I know the homes are more expensive but still, this is so close to the ocean and it is just sitting. I don't get it.

Any ideas why this happens and are there any areaas I should be looking at.
The soft market for real estate has more to do with the job market than the housing stock. On the other hand, an exceptional development, or an exceptional house in a traditional neighborhood, at the right price point, is always more desirable. You can go to a site such as this : Vero Beach Communities, Vero Beach Neighborhoods,, Beach Area, Mainland browse through the communities and look for ones that are built out but have few listings. It's a simple but usually effective tool. As for Summerplace, anything there in that price range is going to be an uninsurable vacation house.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. It just seems like a cool beachy area but I just didn't know why the houses weren't moving. Even just for vacation homes like Summerplace. There are homes in the 300-450K price range just sitting in that neighborhood and I would have thought they would be gone.

On this coast if it is near the water, it is getting multiple offers.

Thanks for your help and insight. It is appreciated.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 AM

135 posts, read 207,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
The soft market for real estate has more to do with the job market than the housing stock. On the other hand, an exceptional development, or an exceptional house in a traditional neighborhood, at the right price point, is always more desirable. You can go to a site such as this : Vero Beach Communities, Vero Beach Neighborhoods,, Beach Area, Mainland browse through the communities and look for ones that are built out but have few listings. It's a simple but usually effective tool. As for Summerplace, anything there in that price range is going to be an uninsurable vacation house.
What a great link!!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Trulia dot com will tell you the real story about what the comps were that actually SOLD and how long it took. People can put ANY asking price on a property. I'm not a realtor and have no idea if there is a saturation of available properties because of people pulling their properties off the market before...nobody willing/able to sell at a low price since about 2008 or whatever.

My condo is at 60% the purchase price in 2008 and the comps are only inching up from 50% for years now. Investors, new/future retirees and snowbirds have been buying when the market bottomed but in the price point of single homes at the beach can be tricky. I would guess some people get gun shy about the insurance too, plus you can't see about things like the roof necessarily on listings.

There may be a stand off - the seller needs a certain price to come out in the black and the buyer doesn't want to pay it - as simple as that but more likely since so many people ripped any equity they had in their homes out during the Mania. LOL ALSO lots of people in Fl had no business buying "investment real estate" during the bubble. I know one NYC teacher retiree who bought THREE SINGLE HOMES at 475K for "investments" with someone else's money as a partnership and doesn't have a dime to his name other than 2500 per month pension!That was in 2008 so now they're worth probably 60% of that if not 50%. All had to be rentals. And they pray nothing breaks.

Also it's possible you see something on the internet but when you get there it's different. Like it is in an HOA with ZERO reserves or deferred maintenance you didn't expect or the neighboring properties have an issue. That happened to me repeatedly all over Florida. You see the worst house on a good block or not even the good block....so you want the better one and keep it moving till you find it LOL.

There was a house on Magnolia at the beach, perfect beach starter home. Dated inside, fine. But the LANDSCAPING would cost a big chunk to remove and clean up. And a half fence on contiguous properties and nothing special at all in it. People are looking for deals but want it move in ready haha.

I know nothing about Summerplace but googled it and if I'm in the right area, the first place I found is a dated cottage for 224K asking. It doesn't offend me but lots of people expect everything totally new and don't want to put in, say, new kitchen cabinets. But like I said, I'm no realtor and have no real factual info. http://tours.tourfactory.com/tours/t...t=835332&idx=1

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-14-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM

LOL that random example ended up being PERFECT.

I came back from work and out of curiosity checked it out.

1. See that photo with the deck overlooking the ocean? Scam. It's not on the ocean. But the property HAPPENS to have a deck with the same wood. YES, to some people it may be obvious especially if you google map it, you see it's across A1A but people get EXCITED. LOL. There are tons of listings that do that. They show you photos of the NEIGHBORHOOD or CITY and don't do disclaimers.

2. The asking was 245,000 and it sold for 145,000. It is a 2/1 with 864 sq feet. Ta da.

No shade against the little house or neighborhood it looks cute but the street may be bad etc etc when you see a cute house like that on the internet. But a perfect example of how things turn into surprises. It may be on a gorgeous street or not. If you're a fireman from up North and can bring your buddies down to do the demo and renovate, you can have a whole new house in a couple weeks! It may even be flip worthy!

Trulia says for that area (but it doesn't mean REALLY "similar"):

The average list price for similar homes for sale is $1,714,940 and the average sales price for similar recently sold homes is $638,200.

Here's another one nearby that's "overpriced" to me 1800 sq feet $359K...up in the corner you see the price is down by 26K the past 2 months according to Trulia. But I stipulate I'm only looking quickly there may be better infor or qualifiers. Probably that 26K did not change the category of buyer looking in that neighborhood. I seem to remember reading you need certain decreases for a REASON to make an impact, like to cut into the next lower buying segment.

I was "sold" on a cute neighborhood in Sebastian till I drove down the streets. And saw the two multiple time violent sex offenders on the dead end part of the street at the end of the neighborhood - not just some old guy who exposed himself LOL.

Trulia link on the first house: Scroll down to see other data - sales, comps, etc.

1930 Shell Lane, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-14-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I was "sold" on a cute neighborhood in Sebastian till I drove down the streets. And saw the two multiple time violent sex offenders on the dead end part of the street at the end of the neighborhood - not just some old guy who exposed himself LOL.

Trulia link on the first house: Scroll down to see other data - sales, comps, etc.

1930 Shell Lane, Vero Beach FL - Trulia
Wow. You must really be beside yourself being that Vero has about 5 times as many sex offenders as Sebastian. I remember that last time you dissed Sebastian because you didn't like Schumann Dr. There's at least 5 or 6 Schumann drives in Vero..... Don't get me wrong, I love Vero. But there's nothing wrong with Sebastian either.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Wow. You must really be beside yourself being that Vero has about 5 times as many sex offenders as Sebastian. I remember that last time you dissed Sebastian because you didn't like Schumann Dr. There's at least 5 or 6 Schumann drives in Vero..... Don't get me wrong, I love Vero. But there's nothing wrong with Sebastian either.
LOL Hilarious you focus making on a personal attack even "remembering" my house hunting from 4 years ago when I was giving an example of PERSONAL criteria that may change people's minds? You take my decision about one neighborhood as an assault on Sebastian? Here's a worse attack. The condos at Reflections were a dumpy mess filled with MOLD and you could see the sky through some guy's ceiling on the second floor. And only one building out of 3 had any reserves at all.

Is that better?

Then you'll "remember" I did a whole thread about the sex offender stats in Vero 4 years ago because everyone was like you LOL about the number saying Vero was the pits. As it turns out Vero's offenders include the OFFENDERS of the MSA but not the POPULATION. Yes there are plenty here. The first jackass I met here was in Home Depot parking lot trying to load my mulch my first day here. I was shocked to find there was even a "sex offender channel" on TV that night flipping around channels and there he was. He lives in Ryanwood, across from Walmart with another one two doors down... and he was an annoying close talker. He had a sign on the car "Husband for Hire". LOL.

I actually don't give any thought to it but it was like you said, a factor in MY decision as much as I wouldn't purchase or rent a house on a street with a canvas car port on poles in the driveway in Vero, and there were plenty of them, too. HAHAH of ALLLLL THE HOUSING in Sebastian and Vero I'm gonna relocate to the ONE PLACE with two violent 40 year old rapists in the neighborhood?? OK. Like I said, they weren't even old fools who just exposed themselves or whatever. AND that part of the neighborhood was run down anyway.

And I'm from Philly so our crime embarrasses and mocks your crime!

Live wherever you want, even Schumann Drive why would I care?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-14-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL Hilarious you focus making on a personal attack even "remembering" my house hunting from 4 years ago when I was giving an example of PERSONAL criteria that may change people's minds? You take my decision about one neighborhood as an assault on Sebastian? Here's a worse attack. The condos at Reflections were a dumpy mess filled with MOLD and you could see the sky through some guy's ceiling on the second floor. And only one building out of 3 had any reserves at all.

Is that better?

Then you'll "remember" I did a whole thread about the sex offender stats in Vero 4 years ago because everyone was like you LOL about the number saying Vero was the pits. As it turns out Vero's offenders include the OFFENDERS of the MSA but not the POPULATION. Yes there are plenty here. The first jackass I met here was in Home Depot parking lot trying to load my mulch my first day here. I was shocked to find there was even a "sex offender channel" on TV that night flipping around channels and there he was. He lives in Ryanwood, across from Walmart with another one two doors down... and he was an annoying close talker. He had a sign on the car "Husband for Hire". LOL.

I actually don't give any thought to it but it was like you said, a factor in MY decision as much as I wouldn't purchase or rent a house on a street with a canvas car port on poles in the driveway in Vero, and there were plenty of them, too. HAHAH of ALLLLL THE HOUSING in Sebastian and Vero I'm gonna relocate to the ONE PLACE with two violent 40 year old rapists in the neighborhood?? OK. Like I said, they weren't even old fools who just exposed themselves or whatever. AND that part of the neighborhood was run down anyway.

And I'm from Philly so our crime embarrasses and mocks your crime!

Live wherever you want, even Schumann Drive why would I care?
Personal attack?Well it's hard to comment on such a rambling and incoherent post, so I won't bother. And as for being from Philly and crime, I'm not sure what the heck you meant, but how does my hometown of Camden, NJ stack up? I apologize to the original poster for going off topic.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 06-14-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM

Default Vero Beach Sex Offender Math Error Explained. Again.

Quote:
Personal attack?Well it's hard to comment on such a rambling and incoherent post, so I won't bother. And as for being from Philly and crime, I'm not sure what the heck you meant, but how does my hometown of Camden, NJ stack up? I apologize to the original poster for going off topic.
Actually for the OP this is important if you do not live within the ACTUAL city limits you are not legally in Vero Beach and your services are up for grabs. IE your own cops, water, laws, even electric etc, there is nothing guaranteeing you that Vero will continue to negotiate those utility services with your area or the county. You are an Indian River County resident even if your post office address is called Vero Beach, it's just your mail.

HarryWho? we'll see how good your Camden reading comprehension and math is. Rambling? OK well you apparently didn't know I debunked the "Vero is filled with and the highest amount of sex offenders" myth years ago. Here's the bottom line. Again, the sex offender math/data by City Data is wrong. I know math is hard but Camden has schools.

First if all City Data has plenty of errors. Port St Lucie shows having TWO registered sex offenders!:
http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Port-...e-Florida.html

Here's the actual map from FDLE I used a home base address of a guy who was in the news LOL. FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators - Map

The sex offender math ratio calc City Data does is:

Total Population divided by Total Sex Offenders. (you can confirm their calc by doing the math for Sebastian or even Vero using 17K residents to 135 offenders)

City Data is doing the math with this wrong data:

17,000 Vero Beach population divided by 135 offenders = 128 people to 1 offender, a bad ratio.

The data is wrong.

Vero Beach does not have anywhere near 135 offenders, they are including MSA "Sebastian−Vero Beach Metropolitan Statistical Area" sex offenders but not their population which would add thousands and thousands to the base population number if it were done that way. The MSA is approximately 135,000 people.

That means the surrounding unincorporated Indian River Township communities, CDPs (census-designated place). This includes sex offenders that DON'T even live in Vero Beach the boundaries which are approximately:

South - 14th st. (Oslo, Florida Ridge, West Vero Corridor, Vero Beach South, are NOT VERO BEACH)

- and anything east of Rt 1 it STOPS AT 17th St causeway, so NONE of that area below 17th on Indian River Blvd is Vero

North - 41st (Gifford, Grand Harbor, Vero Beach Estates and more are NOT VERO BEACH.

West - nothing past 58th (and not even all of 58th- the entire mall area, for example is NOT VERO BEACH

And East - Between 17th and the 60E Bridge then the barrier island areas shown on the map.

In fact we even have a couple of sex offenders attributed to US way up in FELLSMERE in error. And Fellsmere is it's own CITY

The ONLY residents of Vero Beach are the approx 15,000 - 20,000 (depending on which census you read)....residents living in the 13.1 square mile city limits, here's the MAP

City of Vero Beach*

The police posted this on their website since nobody understands where they even LIVE here and all these people who DO NOT LIVE OR PAY TAXES TO VERO BEACH KEEP CALLING THEM.

Vero Beach Police Department

Quote:
Important Information

The Vero Beach Police Department has estimated that approximately thirty percent of their non- emergency calls for police assistance originate from outside the city limits. Many of these calls are from callers who are unfamiliar with the Vero Beach City Limits. Many of our customers have a Vero Beach address and receive service from the Vero Beach Utilities; however they reside in Indian River County. If you pay property taxes to the City of Beach, you are resident of the City of Vero Beach. If you pay property taxes to Indian River County, you are a resident of Indian River County.

To ensure prompt law enforcement, fire, and E.M.S. assistance, the following numbers are provided:
All callers may call 911 for all police, fire, and ambulance EMERGENCIES.
Residents of the City of Vero Beach: see map
Vero Beach Police Department: 978-4600 (non-emergency)

Residents of Unincorporated Areas of Indian River County: see map
Indian River County Sheriff’s Department: 569-6700 (non-emergency)
Indian River County Animal Control: 226-3485

Here is a Wiki for Vero Beach and some of the the approximately 100,000 residents in the MSA that are NOT included in our sex offender population baseline of 17,000 but their sex offenders ARE, and each CDP has it's own census:

Vero Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gifford, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Florida Ridge, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
West Vero Corridor, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indian River Shores, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vero Beach South, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Winter Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a guess but it appears to me City Data is doing some wonky lookup error using zip. Even City Data has the correct info for the CDP for example the huge Florida Ridge so they need to get all the bogus sex offenders their OWN PAGE under each CDP and off OUR page. But they probably can't because they're doing code by postal zip.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Florid...e-Florida.html 20K people here ALONE that are missing from our population.

Here is Vero's City Data page with only 15,000 residents so they got THAT right, so why the sex offenders for everyone else in the MSA??? Programming error that's why. http://www.city-data.com/city/Vero-Beach-Florida.html

More proof, govt census data for Vero then 3 of the CDPs:

Vero Beach (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau - Vero
Florida Ridge CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau - Florida Ridge
Vero Beach South CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau - Vero Beach South CDP
Gifford CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau - Gifford

I hope you follow this, this time so we can award Camden an A+!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach