Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:27 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,742 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Florida for a little over a week, and I have yet to see or hear a single songbird, except mockingbirds (and oh are there a lot of mockingbirds ! Where are they finding the birds to mock ? Or are they just mocking each other ?). We live in a gated community, but there is a large tract of forest across the road, and even a small wooded area within the community, so it isn't a matter of landscape. I haven't even noticed any cardinals, sparrows, etc when we drive around town. Not all songbirds migrate, so this can't be the reason. Does the Treasure Coast (especially Vero Beach) have a shortage of birds ?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
We have lived in Florida for a little over a week, and I have yet to see or hear a single songbird, except mockingbirds (and oh are there a lot of mockingbirds ! Where are they finding the birds to mock ? Or are they just mocking each other ?). We live in a gated community, but there is a large tract of forest across the road, and even a small wooded area within the community, so it isn't a matter of landscape. I haven't even noticed any cardinals, sparrows, etc when we drive around town. Not all songbirds migrate, so this can't be the reason. Does the Treasure Coast (especially Vero Beach) have a shortage of birds ?!?
We live in Connecticut in the middle part of the state and the birds are running amuck up here. We have a golden finch who comes to my husband's office window and hangs on the windowsill. Our two kitties are going insane with this bird pecking on the window in the office.
We also have a feeder out in the backyard and have seen doves, red headed woodpeckers, finch, red wing blackbirds, mocking birds, sparrows, wrens, bluejays (nasty cusses), and more. We also have two wild rabbits who visit the feeder and a chipmunk who lives under our back step. The chipmunk is the least of our worries...the rabbits are bold and sometimes wander in the fenced in yard on the side of our house where the Pit Bull goes out to "play". She is FAST and if they weren't so fast themselves, they would be rabbit stew for our Pit!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
On the coast mostly you will see the wading birds....herons,storks,terns, sandpipers, egrets, etc. Mockingbirds and mourning doves are the ones we hear year round in our yard. Since we finally got our grass in, we have a couple thrashers( I think) that are in the yard every day. We also see a couple woodpeckers-usually pecking on the transformer on the pole in the lot behind our yard. We also see a couple scarlet tanagers on a regular basis. And then there are the black birds. You will see more birds during
migrating times. Sometimes you will see flocks of robins in your yard for a day or two in Feb etc.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:06 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,615 times
Put out a feeder with black sunflower seeds. I can't keep mine filled quick enough with all the Cardinals. I love those birds!! I have a couple that comes- the male goes and gets the seed then flies up and feeds his mate. It's so fun to watch! I also get doves and finches, although the finches have left I think.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
Migration is the reason. They went back home. Snowbirds called that for a reason. Of northern birds only the cardinals seem to like it here enough to stay the summer. I think mockingbirds are the state bird or something. We also have blue jays (just leave some cat food out) , and doves.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Glad to hear there are other birds besides mockers ! Blue jays are funny, who would think dry cat food would attract a bird? They used to steal it off our front porch all the time in Ohio. I do miss the goldfinches and chickadees, and most of all the hummers. I will put out a hummer feeder in autumn.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,554 times
Gotta say that bird feeders are nice But, they are also varmint feeders as well. Go out at night and look at the ground underneath the feeders; usually you will find host of undesirable critters feeding on the fallen bird seed. OTH, if you like critters then you get a twofer. Another snake story; my neighbor's wife was screaming the other day when she discovered a three foot black racer in her closet, apparently the snake entered thru the pet door from the master bedroom to the outside patio. The price we pay for out pets.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
I think it makes more sense to put in a few native plants that attract birds rather than a feeder. As Al stated, you'll get more than you bargained for.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Another snake story; my neighbor's wife was screaming the other day when she discovered a three foot black racer in her closet, apparently the snake entered thru the pet door from the master bedroom to the outside patio. The price we pay for out pets.
Yikes, our new house has a dog door just like that ! Needless to say we are going to cover it up now. Thanks for sharing that story. I am not afraid of snakes but don't like to be surprised by them, either...

Old 11-18-2016, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,334 times
I am looking for birds also in Vero beach. Miss them in Massachusetts. HAWLEY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach