U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM

50 posts, read 60,856 times

Advertisements

fancy4,
buzzonin on Rt.1, Federal highway, has a gallon of raw honey for 38.00
buzzonin.com
Hhmmm, I see at their website that they list the Ft Pierce Farmer's Market as the address. I just remembered the name because we ride by the place on Rt.1 on the way home from DH's route to work. You could email them to ask if you can pick it up at the Rt.1 store. They do sell it online through the website, but they warn that it is not a quick process. Too busy.

I have to tell you, the place is not much to look at. That is putting it kindly.

Then again, I know nothing about bee farms/yards. I guess they are called an Apiary. The sign on the road does say come on in??

They do list other sizes and prices.. other, bee related) products, as well.

E
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 02:14 PM

fancy4,
buzzonin.com
Hhmmm, I see at their website that they list the Ft Pierce Farmer's Market as the address. I just remembered the name because we ride by the place on Rt.1 on the way home from DH's route to work. You could email them to ask if you can pick it up at the Rt.1 store. They do sell it online through the website, but they warn that it is not a quick process. Too busy.

I have to tell you, the place is not much to look at. That is putting it kindly.

Then again, I know nothing about bee farms/yards. I guess they are called an Apiary. The sign on the road does say come on in??

E

Old 08-10-2013, 04:58 PM

220 posts, read 251,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMc View Post
fancy4,
buzzonin.com

E
That is a good price. I can't find it on Google Earth. What landmarks is it neat? It was actually their honey that I bought in Jupiter and I only went to that store because I knew they carried it.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Geeze...I can't remember where, exactly, it is on Rt.1....although it is in Ft. Pierce...it's after Easy St, I'm pretty sure....it's on the North side of Federal Highway/Rt.1..and it's before Midway...we take Prima Vista to Rio Mar to Rt.1 and don't leave Rt.1 until Midway. Anyway, that is not a really long stretch from Rio to Midway and like I said, you could probably email them. It's listed at the site.. the email address.

E

Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,732,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy4 View Post
That is a good price. I can't find it on Google Earth. What landmarks is it neat? It was actually their honey that I bought in Jupiter and I only went to that store because I knew they carried it.

It's at the intersection of Ulrich Rd and US1.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 PM

9,659 posts, read 11,808,400 times
Quote:
>> You are NEVER going to get tomatoes like up north here because of the soil. You can't grow "Jersey tomatoes" in Florida loam. <<

UGH! I was so afraid of that! I could just C-r-y! Can you grow your own in containers using good soil? Problem with that is.. I don't want to really garden down here! It is too frickin' HOT!

Seriously, there are just some things that I miss, badly. Very, very badly. Tomatoes. Chinese Food that tastes like Chinese Food.. heck, I'd almost settle for Chinese that just looks like Chinese Food. Pastrami.. real Pastrami. And even though I think Publix does a lot of things right... and I give them credit for keeping up with what is new and trendy.. WTF is up with a Cheese steak made using deli roast beef?? Ya, I know, bad example.. but that just proves how dire the food situation is...I mean, getting a sub at a supermarket? Sheesh! And I've had a Cheese Steak made with Rib Eye.. again, just WRONG. I really didn't expect to find a decent "cheese steak", mostly because in Boston we don't have Cheese Steaks... we have Steak and Cheese.. and believe it, or not, 2 totally different things

I think what surprised me the most was the fact that Florida doesn't seem to have a particular regional Food... what the heck is Florida known for? Only thing I can think of is Key Lime Pie. And while I enjoy, very much, KLP, there has got to be more, no? I just think, overall, the food is not very good down here. And just like you mentioned the poor tasting tomatoes because of the soil.. I find lots of food is, practically, tasteless. Maybe not tasteless, but definitely not very tasty.

I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with something that we've had that just WOW'D, ya know? I do like Publix Fried Chicken...yes, I think it is that good. Oh, and I did have the best Fried Calamari ever.. here, in Florida, in PSL, of all places! ;0 Yes.. at Isabella's.... what the heck is the name of the place, now? Roma's Bakery bought it.. it's on Bayshore. Bella Roma .. that's it. They combined the 2 names. It was OMG good. The Humus was also very, very good. Haven't had either of them since the new owners came in. They promised not to change anything. Any one know if that's true?

The lack of bakeries seems weird to me.. especially after more than a few people have told me that PSL is a very Italian city. Not that I believed them. Doesn't look it to me. I mean, if it were.. there would be bakeries all over the place. I think PSL is like the rest of Florida... everybody is from somewhereelse. What is the FLAVOR of Florida? Oh sure, I've had Floribbean cuisine.. and enjoyed it very much.. but I miss the little hole-in-wall places, dives even, unfancy places that are known for good chow. " Fancy joints are good, too!

I'm looking forward to trying the new, (newish?) District Table in Stuart.. lots of heirloom foods and heritage meats. Farm to table food. I've read good things about it.

I hope that I am just out of the loop, here. That there IS good food, regional food, and I just don't know about it? What are they? And, where can I find it? Any favorite "good eats" at a good joint?

E
You are me circa 2008!

I've been coming to Florida my entire life, my parents moved here in the 60's. But it's different when you move somewhere.

I eat mostly Greek so I use the tomatoes on the vine or cherry/grape from the stores. But I put them in lots of vinegar and some oil and chopped fine little bits of onion and oregano with FETA. With Italian bread. And yeah, don't even go there with the bread, gurl.

Aside from the multicultural stuff, Florida regional is citrus, seafood and awesome for stone crab. Conch (but they don't harvest it here I don't think) Keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming stone crab season. Also some old school stuff like mullet, swamp cabbage, alligator.

Swamp Cabbage Festival, LaBelle, Florida

Florida stone crab season 'disastrous' | HeraldTribune.com

Key Largo Stone Crab Festival - YouTube

Florida 'space coast' cuisine rooted in laid-back lifestyle - American Food Roots

It's also a cattle state and you can find grass fed/pasture animals right here.

Pasture Prime Grass-fed Wagyu Beef from Summerfield, Florida

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/p...e_Industry.pdf

Florida crop info:

What’s in Season Now? - Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Old 08-11-2013, 06:26 AM

2,922 posts, read 3,467,252 times
Quote:

I hope that I am just out of the loop, here. That there IS good food, regional food, and I just don't know about it? What are they? And, where can I find it? Any favorite "good eats" at a good joint?

E
Not real close by, but if you have occasion to pass by Fellsmere, try the Marsh Landing restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach