U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 02:16 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,960,110 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has tried getting TV without cable or satellite. I am talking about Over The Air. I was reading about this and thinking maybe I could not give ATT Uverse $125.00 per month without premium channels= it does include internet and telephone- necessary for my house alarm. So if anyone is using a special router and OTA antenna I would like to know their experience.

Sid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 AM

186 posts, read 193,279 times
Hello Sid,
A number of months ago when I was in Radio Shack shopping for stuff to put up a ham radio antenna mast, I over heard another customer talking to a sales rep about putting up an HDTV antenna on a mast based in the ground and attached to the edge of the roof. I thought they said the station was generally toward Lake O. I think the max height allowed is 43'. I think you will need a grounding rod. Go talk to the Radio Shack guys and get some better information than my recollections.
My wife and I are experiencing HDTV without a service plan. Our 50" TV has WiFi to our Internet service (bundled with the house phone). We watch shows through Internet sites such as HULU, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Utube. We also sometimes attach a laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable and search for shows at the networks websites. We are still getting used to getting TV in this manner. I haven't watched TV news in a long time but I think that is the results of my wife hogging the remote.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 AM

Again, good information. My situation is I am stuck for another year on a contract with ATT Uverse and have a package " deal" of $125.00 per month. I watch mostly news channels and a few local stations for local news. I also have a Roku box that uses the internet to bring in Netflix and it can bring in other channels you mention. My wife is very keen on politics and whatever I end up with I will still need access to the major news channels like Fox as well as CSPAN, The TV portion of the ATT bill is $85.00 for the U200 service ( three TV's) and I would like to cut that in half going forward. Since I have more time than money I want to begin understanding the ways to get TV without cable. As I am learning there are two ways: using the internet and OTA- over the air. Living in PSL as compared to a large metropolitan area may adversely affect the ability for OTA and I would like to know before I go down that road of an indoor antenna and transformer or an outdoor antenna. One of the disadvantages of retirement is it gives me too much time to tinker and sometimes I get like Don Quixote chasing windmills. There is a great video on You Tube from a guy in Miami on how to build a OTA antenna using a cookie tin container cut up. Seems relatively simple and cheap so I may go the OTA path first.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 AM

978 posts, read 999,699 times
Sid here's another way to make an HDTV antenna
How to make a free HDTV antenna |
Not sure how many Channels we can recieve here in PSL due to the distance from the channels
Also check out AntennaWeb - Home

Old 08-17-2013, 11:49 AM

186 posts, read 193,279 times
All this, of course, brings up several other questions: how many local stations are close enough for reception, and where are the transmitters located? If there are more than one, you either need an antenna for each or a rotary antenna. As I was preparing to install my ham radio antenna (a single vertical) I was on the constant lookout to see what other people had done. There are a number of houses with a mast based on the ground and attached to the roof edge that had a small single antenna that I believe is an HDTV antenna. The antennas do not appear to have a rotary capability. Since I wasn't concerned with TV reception, I did not notice the direction they were pointed. It is possible for HDTV antennas to be installed inside attics. If you do install an outside mast, think about lightening and properly ground your antenna and mast. Personally, I also have ATT Uverse for my house phone, Internet, and HDTV. The service is on pause while I am back at my previous home doing some repairs and preparing it for sale.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM

978 posts, read 999,699 times
All the distances to stations and directions are there at antennaweb.org , helpful site

Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM

BZ, can you offer a followup on your earlier post of non-service TV. We are news junkies and have already cut our ATT service to bare minimum but have a lot our non-network news shows like Fox. Using an antenna for TV harkens back to the old days and will save money besides. Next to attack is the telephone service

Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 330 times
Have lived in PSL (zip 34983) for 6 years, have never had cable and have tried many different antennas with poor to middling results. I have used both commercial and home builds. I am currently using the"STEALTH HAWK"(
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRZPsBMItx0[/url]). It is the best antenna, I have found, it is a home build costing around $50-60. I have been using about 6 months and get the following stations: 5(1-3),9.1, 12(1-2), 21(1-5), 25(1-2), 29(1-2),34(1-3)42(1-4)
43.1,67(1-6). I also use a CHANNELMASTER pre amp. It is also a double stealth with a modified with 1 leg 2 ft long (better vhf reception). It is light has a small wind shadow and easy to mount

Old 10-13-2015, 07:30 AM

836 posts, read 693,481 times
That sounds like a home business idea. Build a few and then sell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach