Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 10:56 AM

142 posts, read 228,733 times

Advertisements

I'm already resigned to the fact that I'm going to see a lot more bugs in Florida than NY. Small price when you think that the temp here dipped to 6 below the other night! My question is this. Do folks on average have their homes exterminated monthly? Am I overthinking this? Am I being ridiculous? Don't want to sound like a woos but I really don't like bugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 AM

692 posts, read 698,108 times
I have been here for close to 4 years and have not had a problem at all. Occasionally I will get ants but that is it. We don't have an exterminator.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,965,505 times
You can do it yourself about every 3 months.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:33 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,109,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman12 View Post
I'm already resigned to the fact that I'm going to see a lot more bugs in Florida than NY. Small price when you think that the temp here dipped to 6 below the other night! My question is this. Do folks on average have their homes exterminated monthly? Am I overthinking this? Am I being ridiculous? Don't want to sound like a woos but I really don't like bugs!
Lived here for 38 years and until 2010 never paid to have anyone come in. Bought a house in 2010 in an area with woods on 2 sides and an overgrown yard. Inspection found big black ants and there were palmetto bugs all over outside( none in house) but we decided to have Terminix spray. Thought we would drop it after a year, but kept it. They did a 2-3 hour inside and outside inspection and sprayed heavily before we moved in. They come out quarterly and spray outside around house and for fire ants,wasps, box elders, etc. . They also take down spider webs around the windows, doors, etc... If we see a bug inside they will spray thoroughly inside. Should not cost more than$300- $400 a year no matter what company you choose.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:10 PM

910 posts, read 2,201,362 times
We pay for a quarterly bug inspection and outside treatment with Massey. It costs $360 a year, but in addition to the quarterly inspections, they will show up any time you have a bug problem in or out of the house. Our inspector is a great guy who really knows his bugs ! We had him out to treat fire ants in the paver area of the pool, and ghost ants in the family room (teeny tiny ants that don't bite, just are annoying). Since we are new to this climate, it is well worth the money to have professionals on call to get rid of bug problems !

Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 5,622 times
No one mentioned the fire ants... We don't exterminate anymore. Indoors most common will be ants, spiders. Outdoors well that's another story. If you grew up in Florida you don't really think much of it. Palmetto bugs scare even me.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM

404 posts, read 893,020 times
Default Palmetto Bugs

-

Those of you north, or in the weeds, you'll want to know, -Palmetto Bugs- .............that's code for the American Cockroach.

-

Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 PM

910 posts, read 2,201,362 times
I think Palmetto Bugs are even bigger than cockroaches. And don't they have wings, too ? For some reason big bugs don't freak me out. Fire ants are another matter.... have had two bites from them so far. Sort of an initiation rite for moving to Florida ? LOL !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach