Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 AM

142 posts, read 230,747 times

Advertisements

A bit concerned that the HOA in Town Park (Traditions) is not independent of the builder (Minto) - should I be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 AM

85 posts, read 185,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman12 View Post
A bit concerned that the HOA in Town Park (Traditions) is not independent of the builder (Minto) - should I be?
Residents of a development can create an HOA a certain number of months after a developer sells a certain percentage of homes (in FL, the basic rule is 3 months after 90% of the expected total of the homes are conveyed to residents)...until then, the developer retains control.

I don't know what the anticipated build-out is for Town Park, but you can certainly ask the sales office what it is, and when they think the HOA will be started. Never hurts to ask, even though it may be just a guesstimate.

Here's a little light reading on FL HOAs from the Florida statutes: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
My HOA was created by the builder. They create and enforce all the covenants from the start. After they build out a certain percentage of the homes, they turn over control of the HOA to the community.

So, no I don't think there is need for concern because it seems standard practice to me.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
I believe that's the standard practice for a HOA... I'm not real experienced on these and they are many people on here that know a lot more about this issue than I so please correct me if I'm wrong . I believe I have read that many times a builder keeps the HOA fees artificially low making the deals seem better and once the builder turns it over to the owners the fees increase and sometimes the increase is substantial.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 PM

76 posts, read 133,480 times
I have visited Town Park twice now and asked the sales agent why happens to the HOA when the builder is done. She told me it gets turned over to a board made up of residents oh then make the decisions. I am particularly concerned how much the fees will go up. He said it would all depend on what the board decides and if they choose to have the gate manned 24/7 it could go up a lot.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman12 View Post
Not unless it's an old community that is having problems building and selling properties.

Otherwise, as was posted, they need to have enough owners to support all those expenses - utilities, amenities, staff, etc.

AND a GOOD HOA will do a full inspection of the property before the homeowners take it over. For example in a high rise, having an engineer certify the building, or getting the pool, elevators, and other mechanicals inspected JUST LIKE YOU WOULD DO IN BUYING A PROPERTY. You want the BUILDER to make any repairs FIRST before assuming his liabilities.

You also don't want to live in an HOA that doesn't want to fund reserves. IMO. There is some of that going on, too.

ALSO, you want to find out how many units are owner occupied versus renters. And I don't mean if snowbirds are away for part of the year. I mean you don't want alot of full time renters there.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,796,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artanis50 View Post
I have visited Town Park twice now and asked the sales agent why happens to the HOA when the builder is done. She told me it gets turned over to a board made up of residents oh then make the decisions. I am particularly concerned how much the fees will go up. He said it would all depend on what the board decides and if they choose to have the gate manned 24/7 it could go up a lot.
You also have to realize that the fees will be determined by the homeowners. I really don't think your neighbors are going to vote to jack up monthly dues $100 more a month. They are people just like you and have bills to pay. I have been on a HOA board and it wasn't an issue. As long as the HOA can pay the bills for the development and put a little back for a catastrophe, you won't see an increase. They just need to be fiscally responsible. Most of the time you employ a management company to oversee things anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach