Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,742 times

Advertisements

My husband and I need to make new wills, since apparently our Ohio ones are not valid in Florida. Since we have no children, I would like to make provisions for animal charities to inherit some of our money (assuming we have any left by then...!). I like the idea of helping out smaller organizations who need the money more than the big national charities. Can anyone recommend no-kill shelters or wildlife organizations that are especially good in this area ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,481 times
Two of my neighbors volunteer at Dogs and cats forever , they speak highly of the organization

Dogs & Cats Forever
Website · Directions

4600 Selvitz Rd, Fort Pierce, FL
(772) 489-5454

Old 07-24-2014, 11:56 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,192,672 times
I am a member of Everglades Golden Retriever Rescue, Inc. We are highly committed to rescuing golden retrievers (and on occasion, golden mixes) and members are involved in fundraising, caring and training abandoned goldens, and conducting interviews and home visits to match goldens and their future adopted owners.

Everglades Golden Retriever Rescue, Inc. (EGRR)
Employer Identification Number: 65-1157578 (so you can verify it is an official 501c(3) organization that can accept tax-deductible charitable contributions)

EGRR's territory extends from Vero Beach south to Key West.

Phone #954-748-3507
1530 West Boynton Beach Blvd. #4335
Boynton Beach, FL 33426

I totally agree with your thoughts on donating to a local rescue rather than a national organization. Most of the funds raised with these national groups are spent on salaries and benefits for the staff -- such a small percentage goes towards the animals. With a local group, since it is all volunteer, the funds go directly to helping the animals. EGRR spent close to $25,000 last year taking care of rescued goldens, many of whom are heart-worm positive, have bad hips, or sick with other diseases.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 924 times
I've been taking dog and cat pictures at H.A.L.O. Animal Rescue in Sebastian for over 9 months and think that they are the most thoughtful and efficient animal shelter I've worked with. I moved here from Delray Beach where I had about 10 years of experience with shelter photography This one is better.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:25 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,742 times
Thanks for the suggestions !! It really helps to hear from people with personal experience with these charities. Anyone have a wildlife or ocean-based charity to recommend too ?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 11,837 times
I've worked with Creature Safe place quite extensively over the years, and they are great. They deal mostly with rehabilitating injured wildlife. Here's their site: http://creaturesafeplace.com/

Old 07-26-2014, 12:21 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times
I work helping and foster kittens for - Caring Fields Felines located in Palm City. A no kill animal shelter - non-profit.

They take in and capture strays and feral cats, spay and neuter and provide medical care, then release. Kittens and some cats are kept, fostered, ( not left in cages ), and found new forever homes. Cats that are disabled or can no longer be on their own have a special fenced in area with housing where they can live out their lives in safety.

My own cat came from them and I was so please with their facility and how they care about the cats and kittens that I have helped any way I can since.

Web sites are: Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carin...17838885059098

Caring Fields Felines (Formerly HSAPL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach