Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times

Advertisements

If someone can't afford to come first and have a look, then I would say that they can't afford to move. Imagine what it would (will) cost if the move doesn't work out? I've moved a lot, and learned the hard way that you need to see things first hand for yourself, you need to stay long enough for the "new" to wear off when you do that, and you need a Plan B and Plan C if things don't work out. If one person is involved, shoot, just go for it. But if it's a couple or more w/ all that involves like personal possessions, clothes, jobs to get, etc, then you need to come first. Maybe things will work out in a blind move. But maybe they won't. Whatever you estimate for travel expenses, temporary lodging, shipping, length of time to get work, etc....double it.

There's no sense coming to look more than a few months before the move. Things can and will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:45 AM

76 posts, read 133,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
If you plan on moving in 2 YEARS. ......looking now makes no sense. You could be dead in 2 years.
Seriously?! It takes time to plan a big move. My husband and I started thinking about it over a year in advance and started researching. I was lucky enough to have my parents in the area to do a lot of leg work for me. But you can't just say "oh, I want to move in 2 months." And not do any research prior to that. I was also lucky in the fact that I was able to make my move happen within 2 months of securing a job. But we had great resources on the other end and the cash to do it. But to tell people it's a waste of time to research 2 years in advance..... And to go as far as to say they could be DEAD in the same timeframe is quite rude, insensitive and unprofessional.

To the OP - I understand your situation. But my advice is to save your $$ and when you are close to pulling the trigger, make the investment to fly down for a long weekend. If you search for deals you can get a good price on airfare. I would not recommend moving somewhere sight unseen. Oh and of course, be sure to secure jobs in advance. Maybe it takes another 6-8 months to make it happen because you had to save some extra money but I think it's worth it. There's only so much you can learn "online". Even people's descriptions can only provide so much.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. If you can dream it, you can make it happen!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:14 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artanis50 View Post
Seriously?! It takes time to plan a big move. My husband and I started thinking about it over a year in advance and started researching. I was lucky enough to have my parents in the area to do a lot of leg work for me. But you can't just say "oh, I want to move in 2 months." And not do any research prior to that. I was also lucky in the fact that I was able to make my move happen within 2 months of securing a job. But we had great resources on the other end and the cash to do it. But to tell people it's a waste of time to research 2 years in advance..... And to go as far as to say they could be DEAD in the same timeframe is quite rude, insensitive and unprofessional.

To the OP - I understand your situation. But my advice is to save your $$ and when you are close to pulling the trigger, make the investment to fly down for a long weekend. If you search for deals you can get a good price on airfare. I would not recommend moving somewhere sight unseen. Oh and of course, be sure to secure jobs in advance. Maybe it takes another 6-8 months to make it happen because you had to save some extra money but I think it's worth it. There's only so much you can learn "online". Even people's descriptions can only provide so much.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. If you can dream it, you can make it happen!
today I will defend FlaLadyB ,
I think you misread here intent about the two year thing, she certainly wasn't saying don't take the time to,PLAN your move well in advance of two years , she was saying having realtors look at houses for you two years in advance didn't make sense as realtors are showing houses to buyers now and the houses you lol at two years in advance certainly will not be for sale in two years and IF they are trust me you don't want them either ... And the you could be dead in two years was NOT to be taken literally , it was an extreme example of things THAT could happen in while looking at houses two years in advance ???at least that's what I read and interpreted what she said ...

Old 08-15-2014, 06:29 PM

97 posts, read 136,817 times
What FlaLady was trying to tell you, is that a LOT of things could happen in your life between now and the time you actually move. Two years is a long time! In that time, I have purchased a condo. Lost 20 pounds. Sold the condo. Bought a townhouse. Gained 20 pounds. Moved to El Salvador. Now I am selling the townhouse. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

It is a good idea to think things out. Visit the area. You have 2 years? Start saving your money and take a vacation to the area you want to move to. It is an easy drive to Port St Lucie, straight down on I95.

Don't get offended when you get a response to your questions. People are trying to help you!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 PM

76 posts, read 133,480 times
The OP wasn't the one looking at houses now. While I agree it doesn't make sense to look at buying a house now for a move in 2 years, the "dead" comment is still completely unnecessary.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:31 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
thank you enero and newred--yes... that is exactly what I meant. As for the ..you could be dead comment.. well, that reflects on my own past year when I actually almost died. No, you can't plan 2 years ahead. Didn't mean it any other way. Sorry if you or anyone else was offended. It's still on my mind and the fact that I have a 50% chance of it happening again affects my life and how I look at things.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
The relatively brief (two days) trip I made here prior to making my decision removed a great deal of doubts and accompanying stress from my life. I'd been confronted with opportunities to transfer to three very different regions of the country, and Stuart just happened to be the first place I visited. Had I not liked it, I had those other options, but I was so impressed that I never even pursued the other two after returning. Had I just taken the job without looking at the place first, it would have been a really, really long drive down that first time, because I would have been stewing in that extra uncertainty while also carting most of my possessions down here. Obviously it turned out okay, but not everyone has that experience.

The actual moving process is stressful enough, and I feel that if I had the added stress of "What if I hate the place?" hanging over me, I would have driven myself nuts. Removing that uncertainty (or at least reducing it to practically nothing) was the best decision I made during that whole process.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 AM

329 posts, read 387,795 times
I would not move to Vero. Maybe down around Hobe Sound.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:23 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
I would not move to Vero. Maybe down around Hobe Sound.
Particular reason?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
The reason for buying a retirement home on the beach TWO YEARS before retiring is so that one can rent it out and make money with one's money since money just sitting in the bank is currently earning less than .25%... Now THAT is what "doesn't make sense"...

And, yes; why not Vero?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach