Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 09:01 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,996 times

Advertisements

I just posted this in the general Florida forum, but thought I would post it here as well, in case not everyone reads that forum.

One thing we did NOT know, and were not told by our Realtor, is that when we moved from Ohio to Florida, we needed to get new wills, living wills, and POAs. We just assumed that our Ohio documents would be valid here. Not the case ! So this is a "head's up" to people who move to Florida from another state. Once you have settled in as a permanent resident, see a local lawyer and get new wills, etc. !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:26 AM

597 posts, read 1,443,223 times
I don't really think this is the job of a Realtor. Did you think that it was their responsibility? There are many things that need to be done when moving from one state to another. Car insurance needs to be from Florida, etc. but I wouldn't expect my Realtor to be getting into this with me. People are responsible for their own due diligence.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 AM

No, it is not really a responsibility of the Realtor. It just would have been nice to know, as new residents, and a simple thing for a Realtor to add to advice given to clients moving from out of state. We also had to find out, from our insurance agent, that the "SW" at the end of our new address was a crucial bit of info, as there is another house in town with the exact same street address. We were clueless to that as well - another simple thing a Realtor might have mentioned to newcomers from out of state. Again, not strictly a responsibility, but a simple thing to mention. (Our address in Ohio had concluded with a "SE" after the street name, but it was NOT crucial to receiving mail; there was not another address in town with the same exact number and street name, unlike here in Vero).

Old 03-17-2015, 02:46 PM

28 posts, read 35,677 times
The way a lot of people drive here, having a good will makes sense.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:37 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
reminded me that I, even after what I have been through, have not done a will. ! my bad... I think that is called.. there is nobody to leave anything to so..

Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 PM

FlaLadyB, there are probably some charities who would benefit. We don't have kids, but we have several animal charities in our wills.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
oh yes.. just call me the cat lady since I dont have any family. I have 2 of my own and I foster kittens for Caring Fields Felines in Palm City.

Anything I have will go to the furbabies and other charities here. I just have to make it legal!! :

it's also called.. procrastination since I almost died once already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach