Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:33 PM

211 posts, read 708,803 times

Advertisements

After living 8 years just outside Charlotte, NC the wife and I and our 16 month old daughter are strongly considering moving to Florida to be closer to family. We lived in Miami before that and as much as I like visiting that area don't want to move back. Considering areas within a few hours of wife's family in Miami and Stuart is on the radar. We checked out the area briefly while down for Christmas, spoke to a potential employer in Audi Stuart who sounded interested (I'm an Audi technician and wife is finishing her 2yr degree in advertising and graphic design). We liked what we saw, relatively affordable housing, weather, proximity to beaches, parks, etc.

Once thing I love about where we live in Charlotte is that we are on the edge of the suburbs bordering country. We bought our first house new in a development with HOA after 7 years I think we'd like something a little more of a country setting, larger lot, less restrictions, etc..

If we did move definitely would rent for a while but would like accessibility to farm fresh produce, eggs, etc...and possibly in the future looking into finding a home where one could raise chickens and even have a goat or two. From what I saw the outskirts of Palm City looks like the only real option or the few homes spread out on the way to Indiantown? PSL basically looked like a big suburb? Would be fine with just a decent backyard I could have a few fruit trees and maybe a small garden. BIL in Miami has about 1/3 acre home with a mango, avocado and fig trees. Ate about 25 mangos the week we were down last summer.

Also as far as cycling I do both mountain bike and road bike. I see there are a few mountain bike trails in the area, how safe is it for road bikes in town. I personally prefer to head further out in the country with nicer scenery and friendlier motorists. Could I find nicer rides out in the country heading west, maybe even some dirt roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 PM

Budget would be under 200,000 so I know that greatly limits things, mainly interested in the accessability of farm fresh eggs, produce stands, flea markets, etc...

Old 01-14-2015, 05:27 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times
Hello Charlotte! I used to live in Winston. I understand the area you are coming from but this area is not known for farmers with farm fresh eggs. There is a flea market in Stuart, but not sure it would be anything like what you are used to. There is a "farmers market" on the weekends in various places, but again, not what you're thinking. We have veg and fruit markets in a few places that many of us like to go to such as Nelsons - its not going to be like NC where farming is still a way of life in the rural areas and easily accessible. Treasure Coast isn't really an area like that.

Finding property where you can have a few chickens, goats, etc. you will have to be West of I95. How far? not sure -depends. Feels like you are looking for more Okeechobee/ Indiantown/ possibly Jupiter Farms. Palm City has horses and goats (haven't actually seen any chickens) on 5 acre parcels, but not at the price you are looking at.

If you looked at things in Stuart...what did you find that you liked and made you think about the area?

As for mountain and road bikes.. a friend in my office is definately who I would hook you up with. He rides all the time with a group all over the place.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post

If you looked at things in Stuart...what did you find that you liked and made you think about the area?
Main reason is proximity to wife's extended family in Miami area. Sister-in-law has a girl a year older than ours. Spending this Christmas with them really made me realize how important it is. (Love NC but we don't have any family here, my family is located in SF). Weather would be another factor, winters here are short but cold. Do like the unique wildlife and landscape of florida, the flatness is an issue as far as cycling goes though. Also like how it's not developer crazy, love the style of homes from the 60's & 70's in South FL. Having a few fruit trees would be nice. Wife is Colombian and really want to retire there and we try to visit every few years so closer to a direct flight a plus. Nice schools a plus and always nice to be near the beach. Might have to trade the bikes for kayaks

Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 AM

ok...I found 10 places in St Lucie County with property and a house that most likely you can have chickens and a goat.

off to hunt Martin County

found 2 in Martin Co -- one off Citrus. One house in Palm City with a larger lot but highly doubt chickens would be allowed.
Otherwise ..Indiantown or Okeechobee

Last edited by FlaLadyB; 01-18-2015 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 09:10 AM

Least expensive in Jupiter Farms is $250

Old 01-19-2015, 11:01 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,413 times
Good luck with your decision Aaron. As a fellow NC'ian, I still can't get used to how PSL was developed. The price difference between Charlotte and here are astronomical. We went up there for Christmas and continue to be amazed that things here are about $100k overpriced for what you get in NC.

That being said, the weather is what keeps us here. I can't move back after being spoiled by the winters here.

I live out towards Becker in PSL- and love biking Becker road and Village Parkway. I would not bike anywhere around here without a sidewalk. The drivers here will run you down! Those bike lanes are nice, but I still don't trust the drivers.

I think Stuart is a very nice area and hope you find the perfect home. It will be tough to find some land for a reasonable price, but I'm confident FlaLadyB will steer you in the right direction! Have you done any research on the Acreage in Palm Beach county? Good luck and keep us updated!!

Old 01-19-2015, 06:18 PM

I talked to my friend at work who is heavy in to off road biking. He said he would be glad to talk to you and give you an
idea of the places they go. They have from middle to difficult. They are not street bikers at all, although there are a number of cycle clubs in the area that bike long distances as well as race.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM

FlaLadyB thank you for your info and efforts. I've been able to find a bunch of info on cycling in the area, probably from the same group your friend knows. Also realistically would probably just like to find a modest home in the immediate Stuart area but I see at least that lifestyle has a limited support from some research I've done. Again it wouldn't be until the end of the year and we would plan on renting for a while first. At least I know there is a few possibilities available if we'd be open to venturing out.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post

I live out towards Becker in PSL- and love biking Becker road and Village Parkway. I would not bike anywhere around here without a sidewalk. The drivers here will run you down! Those bike lanes are nice, but I still don't trust the drivers.
I would definitely be looking for safe roads, I've seen a few rides out in that area you mentioned. Everyone has their own comfort level on the road and some roads just are not safe. I would like land but realistically would probably give that up in exchange for some of the benefits of living in FL. I have starting thinking about the possibility of Palm Beach county as well, have a job contact down there also but like the smaller town feel in Stuart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach