Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 02:18 PM

186 posts, read 448,764 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm not trying to sound ridiculous, but I'm interested in people's experiences with alligators, hurricanes, sharks, etc in this area. I grew up near the beach in California and occasionally we'd get a Great White passing through, but attacks were very rare. I have a friend from Titusville who told me the waters are more infested on the Atlantic side. Is this true? How about problems with alligators in your yard?

We have a very active daughter that loves nature and exploring. We also have small dogs. I want to see how over inflated these risks are to the everyday family. I understand about being aware and using caution around bodies of water and brush. I worry about the attacks that are unprovoked where kids or adults are grabbed from a pathway, etc.

Also, I couldn't find much information regarding hurricane risks in that part of Florida other than the storms seem to come within 40 miles of the county but never really a direct hit. Is this true?

Thank you. Please pardon my ignorance as I try to learn more about your area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 04:22 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4ThePaws View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm not trying to sound ridiculous, but I'm interested in people's experiences with alligators, hurricanes, sharks, etc in this area. I grew up near the beach in California and occasionally we'd get a Great White passing through, but attacks were very rare. I have a friend from Titusville who told me the waters are more infested on the Atlantic side. Is this true? How about problems with alligators in your yard?

We have a very active daughter that loves nature and exploring. We also have small dogs. I want to see how over inflated these risks are to the everyday family. I understand about being aware and using caution around bodies of water and brush. I worry about the attacks that are unprovoked where kids or adults are grabbed from a pathway, etc.

Also, I couldn't find much information regarding hurricane risks in that part of Florida other than the storms seem to come within 40 miles of the county but never really a direct hit. Is this true?

Thank you. Please pardon my ignorance as I try to learn more about your area!
1. Sharks....yep they are in the Atlantic. Bull sharks come into the Intercoastal/Indian River etc. to have their babies and then the babies live in the river for a few years before going out in the ocean. Do people get bit by sharks....a few each year-average probably 30-35 in the whole state. Deaths by shark-very rare....more likely to be killed by our spectacular lightning in Florida. The last couple years we have had a Great White-Catherine- that has been tracked off shore. Check the pics for Sebastian Inlet in my album. The bate fish filled every wave during the surf contest and the sharks were in them too. Not always that many close to shore, though.

2. Aligators- This is Florida. They live in all fresh or brackish water like rivers, pond, lakes, canals, etc. Will they be in your yard......probably not unless you live on or near the water. Even then you might have to go out looking for them to even see one in the wild. Just don't let little ones or pets walk along the banks or edge of a canal.

3. Hurricanes- they happen. Probably we are do a hit in the near future somewhere in Florida. The thing to realize is that even if no storm has been a direct hit, it could happen anywhere in Florida. Some areas seem to have better statistics to be missed but still could happen. Also a storm coming in 40 miles away may mean you still might be in the eye and get big winds. Also if a storm comes in south of your location and you end up in the NE sector of the storm you get pummeled by the winds and rain. For example: Hurricane Jeanne came in down by Hutchinson Island close to Stuart. It wrecked havoc as a Cat 3 and was still a Cat 2 or 3 when it hit Brevard county and a weak Cat 2 over Orlando. You can prepare and make arrangementxs whether to hunker in or leave depending on the predictions of the path.

4. Swim only in pools or the ocean if the temp hits 90 for 2 or 3 days. There is amoeba in the bottom of rivers, ponds, etc that when disturbed become active. If they enter your nose or mouth you can get a disease that very few have survived. If boating, skiing, boarding etc. wear a nose plug so when you go under you will be safer.

5. We also have 6 types of poisonous snakes in the state so you will want to be in yard with little ones.

6. We also have plants that are beautiful and used in landscaping that are poisonous-like Oleander bushes and trees. .

Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 PM

228 posts, read 362,019 times
[quote=Rabflmom;38389776]1. Sharks....yep they are in the Atlantic. Bull sharks come into the Intercoastal/Indian River etc. to have their babies and then the babies live in the river for a few years before going out in the ocean. Do people get bit by sharks....a few each year-average probably 30-35 in the whole state. Deaths by shark-very rare....more likely to be killed by our spectacular lightning in Florida. The last couple years we have had a Great White-Catherine- that has been tracked off shore. Check the pics for Sebastian Inlet in my album. The bate fish filled every wave during the surf contest and the sharks were in them too. Not always that many close to shore, though.

2. Aligators- This is Florida. They live in all fresh or brackish water like rivers, pond, lakes, canals, etc. Will they be in your yard......probably not unless you live on or near the water. Even then you might have to go out looking for them to even see one in the wild. Just don't let little ones or pets walk along the banks or edge of a canal.

3. Hurricanes- they happen. Probably we are do a hit in the near future somewhere in Florida. The thing to realize is that even if no storm has been a direct hit, it could happen anywhere in Florida. Some areas seem to have better statistics to be missed but still could happen. Also a storm coming in 40 miles away may mean you still might be in the eye and get big winds. Also if a storm comes in south of your location and you end up in the NE sector of the storm you get pummeled by the winds and rain. For example: Hurricane Jeanne came in down by Hutchinson Island close to Stuart. It wrecked havoc as a Cat 3 and was still a Cat 2 or 3 when it hit Brevard county and a weak Cat 2 over Orlando. You can prepare and make arrangementxs whether to hunker in or leave depending on the predictions of the path.

4. Swim only in pools or the ocean if the temp hits 90 for 2 or 3 days. There is amoeba in the bottom of rivers, ponds, etc that when disturbed become active. If they enter your nose or mouth you can get a disease that very few have survived. If boating, skiing, boarding etc. wear a nose plug so when you go under you will be safer.

5. We also have 6 types of poisonous snakes in the state so you will want to be in yard with little ones.

6. We also have plants that are beautiful and used in landscaping that are poisonous-like Oleander bushes and trees. .[/

We have not experienced a hurricane here (TC) yet, although we went thru quite a few when we lived in Jupiter. We were home when Hurricane Jeanne took the roof off our house. My in laws were also down for our sons 2nd birthday, so it was their first storm. THAT was a fun night. (Really not too bad ). Our street flooded, but drained really fast and no water got into any off the houses on our street, but you could see the water/debris line where it was after it had receded. Just make sure you have canned food, back up lighting and cooking AND your sense of humor!

I personally have not seen an alligator except in the state parks. Snakes are all over, mostly get the garter ones in our yard. I personally will not go in the ocean because I have an intense fear of sharks.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
lions and tigers and bears oh my! That was enough to keep everybody watching where they step, swim, and to just stay IN THE HOUSE.

I'm a Native Floridian and have been back here since 1978. I have yet to see an alligator in my yard or any neighbors yard. I haven't been bitten by a shark, or a snake of any kind. Red ants...yes. But I also know not to step on an ant pile.
Hurricanes.. if and when we get them we get LOTS of warning ahead of time. A lot more than people living in places that have tornadoes or mud slides.

All those things you asked about are here, yes. But they AREN'T looking for you any more than the critters are where you come from.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,725 times
California is full of nuts that are more dangerous than any animal or storm in Florida. You rarely hear of animal attacks and you are more likely to get storm damage in Iowa than you are here. Sebastian is the only place in Florida that seems to get shark attacks.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:27 AM

404 posts, read 897,612 times
Default ker-chonk

Quote:

adults are grabbed from a pathway

We lose a lot of good people in this manner.
It's common so it doesn't make the news.

Seriously, though, you do have to be aware, for your puppies and little ones.

The gators they move around.
Especially during a rain - they will move from pond to pond.
Or pond to sidewalk.

Always serpentine when you run from one.

Last edited by gv28; 02-11-2015 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:38 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
California is full of nuts that are more dangerous than any animal or storm in Florida. You rarely hear of animal attacks and you are more likely to get storm damage in Iowa than you are here. Sebastian is the only place in Florida that seems to get shark attacks.
California is no nuttier than here. And the Sebastian reference is rather anecdotal too...
FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

Getting back to the OP: As others have stated, there are some risks, but they are easily averted by reading up, avoiding the obvious, and being prepared.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 02-11-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 12:26 PM

186 posts, read 448,764 times
Thank you all so much for responding and not thinking I'm too silly!

I know all too well about poisonous snakes. We have had a copperhead infestation the past two years. Our neighbor killed 6 within a minute. They were nesting near his driveway, same with us. We don't kill them though. They have *knock on wood* only stayed in that small area and haven't come into the backyard. Our dogs are indoor dogs and we are careful. I don't think it's worth the risk of having my husband whack at them wearing sneakers and using a short shovel. Our neighbor wore tall boots and used a long hoe, two things we don't have. We try to respect nature and leave them alone!

The stories about kids and adults being attacked by bull sharks in 3 feet of water near the shore are always scary. When we went to Cocoa Beach a few years ago, I wouldn't even let my husband go more than a few feet out. I was so nervous! I stayed on the sand. Then again, I had friends surf in Santa Cruz and in the colder Northern California water where there were seals and Great Whites (there to eat the seals!), and nothing ever happened to them. That's way too dangerous for me though!!

We saw several alligators when we were at the Kennedy Space Center in 2002. They were walking around the marsh areas when we were on the bus tour. I've also seen them in the South Carolina low country. I just think it's different living there and having that be a reality not a novelty where you grab your camera for a souvenir photo! Makes me nervous

My husband is a Charlotte, NC native, and he was here during Hurricane Hugo, I think it was. The one in '92 or '93. They didn't have power for 2 weeks, had to wait 5 hours for a bag of ice from the National Guard, foraged for what food they could find... no one was prepared because they didn't expect it to even hit here. I don't want to be caught in a situation like that!

Old 02-12-2015, 07:53 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,725 times
Google how many storms in the past 100 years have struck the state of Florida then Google how many tornado's have struck Iowa. You will see it is far more likely that that will happen there. I think the last storm that hit here was 2008 and it was no where near as devastating as a tornado. California also has huge fire risks an monsoon floods at times. If you must avoid all the storms move to Jacksonville. They have never been hit by a hurricane. As for the gators and snakes they are more afraid of you than you are afraid of them.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:59 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,334 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much for responding and not thinking I'm too silly!

I know all too well about poisonous snakes. We have had a copperhead infestation the past two years. Our neighbor killed 6 within a minute. They were nesting near his driveway, same with us. We don't kill them though. They have *knock on wood* only stayed in that small area and haven't come into the backyard. Our dogs are indoor dogs and we are careful. I don't think it's worth the risk of having my husband whack at them wearing sneakers and using a short shovel. Our neighbor wore tall boots and used a long hoe, two things we don't have. We try to respect nature and leave them alone!

The stories about kids and adults being attacked by bull sharks in 3 feet of water near the shore are always scary. When we went to Cocoa Beach a few years ago, I wouldn't even let my husband go more than a few feet out. I was so nervous! I stayed on the sand. Then again, I had friends surf in Santa Cruz and in the colder Northern California water where there were seals and Great Whites (there to eat the seals!), and nothing ever happened to them. That's way too dangerous for me though!!

We saw several alligators when we were at the Kennedy Space Center in 2002. They were walking around the marsh areas when we were on the bus tour. I've also seen them in the South Carolina low country. I just think it's different living there and having that be a reality not a novelty where you grab your camera for a souvenir photo! Makes me nervous

My husband is a Charlotte, NC native, and he was here during Hurricane Hugo, I think it was. The one in '92 or '93. They didn't have power for 2 weeks, had to wait 5 hours for a bag of ice from the National Guard, foraged for what food they could find... no one was prepared because they didn't expect it to even hit here. I don't want to be caught in a situation like that!
I grew up in No. Cal. -- and I'm interested in sharks (no idea why) and everything I've read is that bull sharks are much scarier than great whites. Peter Benchley wrote a non-fiction book on the topic before he died and he was more nervous about bull sharks than great whites.

Hurricanes are nothing to be afraid of at all. You have tons and tons of notice. If you need to get out of it's path, you just pack up and drive out. Personally I'm more nervous about tornadoes. I was in a tiny one once and I couldn't believe it's power.

Re: alligators. Yes, this is pretty much the reason I won't move to FL. Freaks me out.

Good luck!

Alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach