Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 09:16 AM

21 posts, read 27,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsterling View Post
Hi. I am a retired university librarian, and my wife is still working as a university teacher in China, and will retire in the summer of 2016. She is Chinese, a very sweet little lady and my treasure. Her english is improving, but there will always be gaps in her knowledge. I'm white. The stats I've seen online say there are very few Asians in Stuart and surrounding areas, she doesn't mind that at all, but I want to know if she will be welcomed there and not face any racism. Overt, at least. There's always jerks, that's to be expected. I'm more of a homebody than she is except for water activities, but she likes tennis, pool, ping-pong, hiking etc., and will eventually want to go out and do those things and other social activities even if I don't go with her. So since her happiness is a main concern of mine, I'd like any insights anyone may have on this. We're fairly well off and would be living in a middle class retiree-type home or 55+ community

We come from southern California , a multi culture area and we have never been around such different folk.
Having lived in Stuart I say that folk are not accustomed to multi cultured areas and behave in such a manner.

Because of this we have found that St Lucie West (PGA) is a much more multi culture friendly area. More diversity than Stuart/ Martin County.

Our home ( in PGA Verano) will be ready this week and are very excited about getting out of Martin County, life just got easier.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:22 AM

14 posts, read 27,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheCatRocks View Post
Hey - you asked the questions. I'm there all the time. I've been going to Stuart for 15 years now.

Do you honestly think you need to live in a place for 26 years to have an opinion?

Sorry...you're WRONG LILLYBEANS. Just let it go already. I won't waste any more time on this thread trying to teach the ignorant.
Only a pain if your out on the country part of Palm City. Because from anywhere around the river, its a five minute drive up High Meadows to i95 or there is a new bridge that also shoots you off Mapp to Kanner highway.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:09 PM

135 posts, read 206,647 times
Stuart is a great city. I purchased in Vero Beach and wish I had discovered Stuart before I did.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:04 PM

231 posts, read 382,975 times
What are the major differences between Jensen Beach and Stuart? Do they function as one larger community or are they very different places that appeal to completely different groups of people? For example, is one community geared more toward retires than the other.

Based on the time I spent in Jensen Beach it seemed like the retires are located more on Hutchinson Island and the mainland had more of a local vibe.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:44 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,137,077 times
If you consider that most of the buildings on Hutchison Island are condos.. yes... that would lead to more retired and part time people.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:49 AM

231 posts, read 382,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
If you consider that most of the buildings on Hutchison Island are condos.. yes... that would lead to more retired and part time people.
Based on the posts I've read in this forum it sound like Jensen/Stuart/St. Lucie region lacks a significant employment center which causes the region to be heavily tilted towards retires and part year residents. How true is this and are there certain neighborhoods and communities where retires and part year residents are less common.

I like downtown Stuart and downtown Jensen Beach is small but has potential. Do these towns attract a lot of locals or are they mainly retires and seasonal residents?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 AM

21 posts, read 27,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
What are the major differences between Jensen Beach and Stuart? Do they function as one larger community or are they very different places that appeal to completely different groups of people? For example, is one community geared more toward retires than the other.

Based on the time I spent in Jensen Beach it seemed like the retires are located more on Hutchinson Island and the mainland had more of a local vibe.

The biggest difference is Jensen Beach (downtown) is more for the "rowdy" "partiers" Stuart is more conservative uptight folks.
As far as the island goes, yes almost all retires and not so many f/t residence. Depends are what you are looking for. The island offers more social interaction with the seasonal folks then a bit quiet off season. In town you have a more daily life environment , i.e. families, working folks.
Jensen Beach out by the mall have most of what you need as far as shopping and eating.
The bridges can be a bit congested in JB / Stuart during season.
Stuart is very congested and difficult to get around, especially in season.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Manny, there are people with jobs here locally, and then there are people who work in West Palm Beach or even further south. They find that living here is less expensive and less stressful. The drive isn't bad and till you hit the WPB area then it changes significantly. For many, its worth it

Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,382 times
Default Stuart Is better

I'm in south Stuart and getting in I-95 is a snap. One huge advantage in Stuart is that our property taxes are not insane like in Jupiter and other places in Palm Beach county. Housing in Jupiter is for people with lots and lots of money. Our beaches are far nicer than Jupiter's as well. We even have free parking at the beach and plenty of it.
South Stuart has big water on three sides with limited points of entry and exit. The result is low crime rates as an escape after a crime is unlikely here. Usually if we have a bank heist it is some tourist who has no clue about the difficulties of escape in the area. We also have a rather large number of cops for the size of the population which I suspect is due to the large number of very wealthy people in the area. On Jupiter Island there are no dwellings under one million dollars including condos or apartments over a garage. Jupiter Island is part of Martin County. It is a very long island with one road and tons of police surveillance.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:49 AM

how does having the river result in a low crime rate? Everyone on the coast has either the river or the ocean......

There are only a few ways to get to I95 from US#- from Hobe Sound on Bridge Rd, from the north end of Stuart on Kanner Hwy, or going through Palm City.

Jupiter Island isn't really considered a part of Martin County even though it is....hence the name JUPITER Island, and doesn't really figure in to living in this area at all.

"Large number of wealthy people"..........do you live in Jupiter Island or in Stuart? Huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach