U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 PM
 
358 posts, read 605,910 times
Reputation: 195

Advertisements

Just found out about this...if you live next to an unimproved property the owner of the unimproved property is required to maintain a 10' clearance of the brush/tree/debris.

Unimproved Real Property Nuisances (Vacant Lots)
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:42 PM
 
230 posts, read 300,812 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortStLucieWater View Post
Just found out about this...if you live next to an unimproved property the owner of the unimproved property is required to maintain a 10' clearance of the brush/tree/debris.

Unimproved Real Property Nuisances (Vacant Lots)
So, if naturally growing trees or shrubs grow up to the property line it is a nuisance, but only if the lot is undeveloped. That is flat out stupid. Trees and shrubs happen.

Of course, it's all to protect the children. There just remains the question of what kind of adults they will grow up to be if they are "protected" that way during their formative years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM
 
1,248 posts, read 1,472,648 times
Reputation: 648
The problem is that the pepper trees got out of hand. They grow tall then bend over the property line and will cover a portion of your property. I had this issue and was constantly going over with a saw to cut them back. Also several pine trees were growing close together and were in danger of snapping and falling onto my roof. At the end of the street one snapped and took out the power lines. If a neighbors tree falls on your house guess what? You have to pay not them. The law is to protect you. They could go overboard and enforce the "Native tree" rule and force owners of vacant lots to remove all of the pepper trees. Also many of these lots have become dumping grounds (which I don't understand because of the "titanic rule") but people put trash all over them. I had a neighbor down the street who used one as a junk yard. He had about 15 jetskis strewn about. Finally the owner of the property evicted him.

If I had my way property owners of vacant lots should have to keep them clear of out of control vegetation. I just wish they had this rule when I had property there.

Not sure where you read into it that it is to protect the children? The rule is to keep some order and not let things get out of hand. Like the rule where an owner of a vacant house has to mow the lawn. Is this rule to protect the children? No it is to protect the tax payers and maintain property values. Think about it for a while and get back to us.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 AM
 
3,592 posts, read 6,386,583 times
Reputation: 3177
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
The problem is that the pepper trees got out of hand. They grow tall then bend over the property line and will cover a portion of your property. I had this issue and was constantly going over with a saw to cut them back. Also several pine trees were growing close together and were in danger of snapping and falling onto my roof. At the end of the street one snapped and took out the power lines. If a neighbors tree falls on your house guess what? You have to pay not them. The law is to protect you. They could go overboard and enforce the "Native tree" rule and force owners of vacant lots to remove all of the pepper trees. Also many of these lots have become dumping grounds (which I don't understand because of the "titanic rule") but people put trash all over them. I had a neighbor down the street who used one as a junk yard. He had about 15 jetskis strewn about. Finally the owner of the property evicted him.

If I had my way property owners of vacant lots should have to keep them clear of out of control vegetation. I just wish they had this rule when I had property there.

Not sure where you read into it that it is to protect the children? The rule is to keep some order and not let things get out of hand. Like the rule where an owner of a vacant house has to mow the lawn. Is this rule to protect the children? No it is to protect the tax payers and maintain property values. Think about it for a while and get back to us.
Also Florida gets wild fires from lightning strikes etc. If the overgrown brush encroaches on your property it brings the fire right up to your house. Look at the 2008 fires in Palm Bay. Lots of overgrown vacant lots that the owners do not take care of. If you complain to city they will come out and cut back and charge the land owners. We haave taken the liberty to cut back 2 lots around us, but they grow back so fast. Husband not healthy enough to do it himself any longer so the land owner will be getting a bill from the city soon. One of our neighbors rented a backhoe and cleared the lot of everything next to his house, when the city would only do a strip around the empty lot. Earlier it had caught fire when someone pulled a pick up into an adjoining lot on the next street and they had damage to their fence and siding from the fire.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 01:09 PM
 
358 posts, read 605,910 times
Reputation: 195
Yeah, the pine trees growing too close to property line is my problem. Also the vines that start growing into my wooden fence and get stuck between the panels.

I wish I found out about this a few weeks ago as I just finished clearing a bit of my fence line by myself but wanted to put this out there to save anybody else trouble in the future.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 04:55 AM
 
230 posts, read 300,812 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Not sure where you read into it that it is to protect the children? The rule is to keep some order and not let things get out of hand. Like the rule where an owner of a vacant house has to mow the lawn. Is this rule to protect the children? No it is to protect the tax payers and maintain property values. Think about it for a while and get back to us.
The PSL web site linked by the OP clearly states that protecting the children is one of the reasons for the existence of the ordinance.

There is a big difference between trash and natural vegetation. If a lot is developed, the owner would not be required to remove trees on the properly line. Why should an undeveloped lot be any different? One of the joys of property ownership is trimming back trees that overhang your property, or not if you like the privacy, shade, or natural beauty they provide. The ordinance takes away that choice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 AM
 
358 posts, read 605,910 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
The PSL web site linked by the OP clearly states that protecting the children is one of the reasons for the existence of the ordinance.

There is a big difference between trash and natural vegetation. If a lot is developed, the owner would not be required to remove trees on the properly line. Why should an undeveloped lot be any different? One of the joys of property ownership is trimming back trees that overhang your property, or not if you like the privacy, shade, or natural beauty they provide. The ordinance takes away that choice.
I think you are missing an important part. A tree on a developed lot is not going to be rapidly reproducing like many of these invasive species on these undeveloped lots do.

Also, there is a difference in "trimming back trees that overhang your property" and dealing with hundreds of feet of vine that creep into your fence panels and then get larger and larger until they get stuck between the boards and are difficult to remove. That would not happen next to a developed lot and clearing it myself would constitute as trespassing and I was actually informed by the city that I could be sued.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 AM
 
230 posts, read 300,812 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortStLucieWater View Post
I think you are missing an important part. A tree on a developed lot is not going to be rapidly reproducing like many of these invasive species on these undeveloped lots do.
The ordinance does not differentiate between native and non-native vegetation. If it did, and didn't claim it was to "protect" the children, I might have a different opinion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 01:15 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 1,472,648 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
The ordinance does not differentiate between native and non-native vegetation. If it did, and didn't claim it was to "protect" the children, I might have a different opinion.

I just don't think you get the point. You are too hung up on the children part (what ever that has to do with anything)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Waverly Hall, GA
1,617 posts, read 2,197,343 times
Reputation: 633
Omd...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top