Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:01 AM

228 posts, read 247,362 times

Advertisements

Looking through codes and have not found what I am searching for so Ill try here;

I want to purchase the lot next to my home if it becomes available for sale/the owner wants to sell after I contact them. The reason being is not only for the "buffer" but also for "toy parking/man cave"

Since the lot is next to and not behind my home, I know I will need to file to combine/cojoin the lots, but once that is done can I fence the entire new "side lot" or would I need to use the code and do the "set back" as if it was a stand alone lot with a house on it? Can I build/have built a largish detached garage/metal building? Basically I want the extra dirt for a place to store our RV and possibly a boat, but also to use as a shop and man cave and give us more room for garden/fruit trees, while I turn the current attached garage to a theatre/play room?

Financially I know I will never get the money back out of it that I am going to put into it, but I just want the extra room and I think just regular car ports in a row would be a little trashier looking than an enclosed structure.

The main concern really is the fence, if I can only fence the back half (roughly) of the property so the fence isnt against the road side, than it may not be worth it to even bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 11:11 AM

Think I might have found it, was hidden in the non residential fence section, The fence still has to be 25 feet from front property line, or equal to the dwelling which ever is greater. Would rather fence it all in, but I think I may be able to put the building closer to the front instead of rear giving me more room in the back for the yard stuff the wife wants. Now to find out if the owner wants to become a seller

Old 11-27-2015, 01:00 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
I'm imagining that you've considered the tax burden. A neighbor did what you're describing and his taxes very nearly doubled.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I'm imagining that you've considered the tax burden. A neighbor did what you're describing and his taxes very nearly doubled.
Yes I have, but taxes are a cursed blessing for me, I don't have to pay them but it is because I am 100% disabled vet.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:32 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
Good luck with your expansion plans. I also want to thank you for your service.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:51 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
Yes I have, but taxes are a cursed blessing for me, I don't have to pay them but it is because I am 100% disabled vet.
Good to go. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:58 AM

350 posts, read 416,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
Looking through codes and have not found what I am searching for so Ill try here;

I want to purchase the lot next to my home if it becomes available for sale/the owner wants to sell after I contact them. The reason being is not only for the "buffer" but also for "toy parking/man cave"

Since the lot is next to and not behind my home, I know I will need to file to combine/cojoin the lots, but once that is done can I fence the entire new "side lot" or would I need to use the code and do the "set back" as if it was a stand alone lot with a house on it? Can I build/have built a largish detached garage/metal building? Basically I want the extra dirt for a place to store our RV and possibly a boat, but also to use as a shop and man cave and give us more room for garden/fruit trees, while I turn the current attached garage to a theatre/play room?

Financially I know I will never get the money back out of it that I am going to put into it, but I just want the extra room and I think just regular car ports in a row would be a little trashier looking than an enclosed structure.

The main concern really is the fence, if I can only fence the back half (roughly) of the property so the fence isnt against the road side, than it may not be worth it to even bother.
I think that even if you don't combine the lots you can fence the whole thing in since you own both lots. We have three lots that are fenced in (before we purchased) and there wasn't an issue.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
I think that even if you don't combine the lots you can fence the whole thing in since you own both lots. We have three lots that are fenced in (before we purchased) and there wasn't an issue.
Yes I looked into that, but if I keep the lots separate than the second lot becomes taxable since it wouldn't be part of my "primary residence", I don't know how much it would be since it would not have water/sewer connections, but they might consider just being cleared and fenced in as being developed land. Lots of considerations. I really dislike the 25 foot setback for the fence as that makes 1/3rd of the lot unuseable for our desires. (i think it would be considered the same as a front yard, so no garden, no buildings etc. Maybe ornamental trees/native fruit trees but not completely up to speed yet.
Thank you for the insight though, might come out to be easier to pay the taxes on it and not cojoin dunno.

This is also all pending on if the current owner wants to sell, tax rolls have it under a trustee's name who has about 40+ lots and properties in their trust.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:03 AM

350 posts, read 416,101 times
You may have already seen this, but when I was first trying to find the information it was buried deep!

If you scroll down you will see that there are exceptions that might be helpful.

Good Luck!

§ 7.04.01. Requirements, Appendix 7.04.00. Area, Yard, Height, And Open Space Requirements, Chapter VII. Development Design And Improvement Standards, Land Development Code, St. Lucie County

Old 11-30-2015, 06:10 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
I've seen plenty of double lots completely fenced. Permit to fence of course.

The city should be able to tell you with out any problem.

Why not just go down there with the lot information and ask to find out the real answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
View detailed profiles of: