Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 11:26 AM

747 posts, read 1,011,794 times

Advertisements

For those in the know: about how far is it and what's the average amount of time (at, say, 20 knots) from Palm City's Bessie Creek/Hidden River area to the Port Saint Lucie inlet?

Thank you.

Last edited by SJNE17; 12-07-2015 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 03:59 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
It's called the St Lucie Inlet (no Port). You will have a delay at the Dixie Hwy/train bridge if you have anything bigger than a small center console so that might slow you down. Some of that distance you travel is no wake/slow wake areas also.

I'd be shocked if you could be in the ocean in less than 30 minutes from Bessey Creek area.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:11 PM

Thanks very much.

Wife and I are looking in the area and boating is a part of the lifestyle equation. I'm not worried about 30 min. to Atlantic, as depending on weather and water conditions I'd probably spent most of time around the St. Lucie River and up/down the intracoastal cruising & fishing.

Will be visiting this winter and look to rent a boat to explore the river and intracoastal. I'd appreciate any tips on the area. I presume from Sewall's Point up to Ft. Pierce inlet you can run wide open for the most part on intracoastal?

Old 12-07-2015, 05:38 PM

228 posts, read 247,236 times
IF you are familiar with the navigation markers here is a link to the web navionics app. may help you determine what areas are low/no wake etc.

Navionics Webapp

Old 12-07-2015, 06:00 PM

very cool app!

i'll tinker with this.

thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
IF you are familiar with the navigation markers here is a link to the web navionics app. may help you determine what areas are low/no wake etc.

Navionics Webapp

Old 12-07-2015, 06:37 PM

228 posts, read 247,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
very cool app!

i'll tinker with this.

thanks for the link.
Yup, keeps me busy for hours and I am still in Oklahoma for 10 more days

Old 12-07-2015, 07:01 PM

no kidding.

i looked up a couple of areas i'm sorta familiar with, and that gave me some reference as to how to interpret it.

am very much a novice when it comes to charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinsham30 View Post
Yup, keeps me busy for hours and I am still in Oklahoma for 10 more days

Old 12-10-2015, 08:38 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Thanks very much.

Wife and I are looking in the area and boating is a part of the lifestyle equation. I'm not worried about 30 min. to Atlantic, as depending on weather and water conditions I'd probably spent most of time around the St. Lucie River and up/down the intracoastal cruising & fishing.

Will be visiting this winter and look to rent a boat to explore the river and intracoastal. I'd appreciate any tips on the area. I presume from Sewall's Point up to Ft. Pierce inlet you can run wide open for the most part on intracoastal?
Keep the "all aboard Florida" issue in mind. They are looking to run extra trains on the east coast, this affects boaters in Stuart area because of the railroad bridge at Dixie Highway. It is a very low bridge and if the trains start service it will close the rail road bridge for 40 minutes every hour creating a huge bottleneck of boaters going east/west under the bridge. On a busy day you might have to endure a long wait to go back/forth.

Also with the wake zones, keep the manatees in mind. Winters = manatees in the area due to warmer water so some zones slow down in the winter months.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Duly noted. Thanks a bunch.

It's details like that that are very helpful.

It would, in a word, suck, to come down there & rent a boat for an afternoon, and end up waiting a combined 2 hours at a bridge (back & forth) to pass.

As for wake zones, I always follow the appropriate signage, that's never an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Keep the "all aboard Florida" issue in mind. They are looking to run extra trains on the east coast, this affects boaters in Stuart area because of the railroad bridge at Dixie Highway. It is a very low bridge and if the trains start service it will close the rail road bridge for 40 minutes every hour creating a huge bottleneck of boaters going east/west under the bridge. On a busy day you might have to endure a long wait to go back/forth.

Also with the wake zones, keep the manatees in mind. Winters = manatees in the area due to warmer water so some zones slow down in the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach