Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:10 PM
dik

4 posts, read 16,556 times

Advertisements

Also interested in moving to Vero Beach. To start over. From scratch. Will need a job and an easy to enter affordable place to live starting out. A little income but not enough to get by on the grid. I am single and a young older person, over sixty. But not looking too bad. I am looking for a quiet place, an unpretentious art/spiritual community, if there is such a thing, sense of spirit in all areas. Kind open minded people. The descriptions of nature, the water, the cultural, art, educational, particularly theatre interested me. I generally am comfortable with people who are still looking and exploring rather than those who are settled and happy. I don't like the word retired and since I haven't provided for a "comfortable" retirement, I guess I never will. "Upscale" scares me a little. For brevity I guess I'd say I am a writer. An artist at least in temperament. I have been living as a nomad for quite a few years, living cheap in Mexico, Central America, Europe, exploring, broken hearted, disillusioned, looking for a place to settle, recreate and restore my faith I guess. I am not political unless Noam Chomsky would run, then I'd want to be his ad agency, which is what I did most of my life. Well, this is an opener. Kinda wordy. Let's see if there is any response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 02:37 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dik View Post
Also interested in moving to Vero Beach. To start over. From scratch. Will need a job and an easy to enter affordable place to live starting out. A little income but not enough to get by on the grid. I am single and a young older person, over sixty. But not looking too bad. I am looking for a quiet place, an unpretentious art/spiritual community, if there is such a thing, sense of spirit in all areas. Kind open minded people. The descriptions of nature, the water, the cultural, art, educational, particularly theatre interested me. I generally am comfortable with people who are still looking and exploring rather than those who are settled and happy. I don't like the word retired and since I haven't provided for a "comfortable" retirement, I guess I never will. "Upscale" scares me a little. For brevity I guess I'd say I am a writer. An artist at least in temperament. I have been living as a nomad for quite a few years, living cheap in Mexico, Central America, Europe, exploring, broken hearted, disillusioned, looking for a place to settle, recreate and restore my faith I guess. I am not political unless Noam Chomsky would run, then I'd want to be his ad agency, which is what I did most of my life. Well, this is an opener. Kinda wordy. Let's see if there is any response.
What you're describing is Sebastian, just north of Vero Beach. I live in VB and though I like it here, it's a bit stuffed shirt. Sebastian has such a nice laid back atmosphere. BTW, your post sounds like a personals ad.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:05 PM
dik

Default Sebastian and "personals ad"

So, tell me more about Sebastian, please. And I guess it is a "personals ad" although I've never placed one, since I am looking for everything, community, job, friends, new life, but is the forum the wrong place for this kind of inquiry. It was my first post and not sure the protocol.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:44 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dik View Post
So, tell me more about Sebastian, please. And I guess it is a "personals ad" although I've never placed one, since I am looking for everything, community, job, friends, new life, but is the forum the wrong place for this kind of inquiry. It was my first post and not sure the protocol.
Sebastian has a big Kashi Ashram center with classes in yoga, and just about anything else, open to the public. It's where all the alternative health centers are. It's quite laid back. There is no actual wealthy section there yet on the other hand there are no rundown sections. It's where Arlo Guthrie lives part time. The restaurants are all very Jimmy Buffet style and the people there are just plain nice. It's equidistant from Melbourne or Vero Beach. From the way you describe yourself, I'd point you toward Sebastian. Go visit. I think you'll like it.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:12 PM

436 posts, read 681,398 times
isa & dik, verobeach may be right on target here. Although I'm out west now (not in Florida), I have a dear friend in Sebastian who has lived there many years who plays guitar and sings her songs, she is very spiritual, she is artistic. If Suzy (she lived in Coconut Grove many years ago near where one of her dear friends Ella (my girlfriend & eventual wife) and I also lived - sorry, I can't mention her last name on a message board) thinks that the town by the Indian River is a good place for her, it just might be ok for you too. So much has changed everywhere I've revisited in this country (I've traveled a lot in the past, but age is slowing me down now) & especially in Florida, and I suppose we who have grown older often see the changes more profoundly than the young because of our time perspective. Where there are friends is where there is life. Best wishes finding a place and friends that give you joy in living in the day to day. ps. I have found St. Augustine to be nice (one of the few places left in FL I would live), but a spiritual network up there? I don't know if it exists.

Last edited by brian_2; 03-25-2007 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
dik

Brian, I appreciate the understanding and encouraging response. Yes, like Isa, I want more information, and more on the "feeling" side I suppose while I struggle with the practical matters. I'll be driving in about fifteen hundred miles, probably camping along the way, and maybe even when I arrive, until, if it feels like the place, to look for an apartment or "guest house" or room, and begin looking for a job or offering my talents in some freelance arrangement, in order to pay for it, trusting in my good fortune, as they say. Playing my guitar and singing my songs. Maybe I'll meet your friend. Anyway, any ideas in general and of all sorts will be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:46 PM

449 posts, read 1,125,952 times
port st lucie lady-I have to agree with you on stuart/jensen/Palm city/port st.lucie suggestion. I love that whole area-especially jensen beach. Lived there for 26 yrs and left just 8mths ago and miss it terribly-hoping to figure out a way to go back.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:43 AM

44 posts, read 196,587 times
Love Sebastian Fl!!! Small Town And Seems To Be Filled With Lots Of Nice People And Its Not Far From Other Big Cities. I Did Love Vero Beach Too But Sebastian Is Just A Go With The Flow Type Of Town.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 PM
isa

13 posts, read 94,137 times
Default well

i visited sebastion and vero beach since the last time that i posted, i was there for 2 days, i know that isn't enough. sebastion was very nice, but no town , or downtown at all to speak of, its kind of odd in that way, but it is quite pretty , and laid back, the question here is where does one work?
i think vero has a bit more school oppurtunities for my child, and work too,
vero had a lot of lights tht i am not used to, and it only looks pretty to me on the beach side, although i didn't see much

Old 04-04-2007, 07:17 PM
dik

Isa I am so interested in hearing more information from you, more of your impressions. I am tentatively planning to drive to the Vero Beach and its a long drive for me. Can you give me some more information.
Thanks, Dik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach