Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 04:46 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,268 times

Advertisements

We have found our spot.

A bit of background (don't worry if it is too long and you don't read it. I like typing, so there )

My husband and I are a second marriage couple. We are perfect for each other, actually don't tell him this, he is the more perfect one We've never owned a house together but have owned houses with our first spouses. We rented since we didn't know where we wanted to settle.

We moved to Florida (YAY!!) to watch over his elderly (such a misnomer since she gets around like a 74 year old instead of the 84 that she is) very independent mother. That was three years ago that we moved here. We are finally ready to get our first house! We've picked out the lot and Holiday Builders has a house that we feel fits our needs. You kind of know the house is right when you can picture your belongings in it and where everything 'fits'. Plus at bit extra space.

So now it is all about waiting till they buy the lot, finalize the upgrades, look at the pool and the price the pool company will charge, down payment, paperwork, loan etc... So much still left to do before it even gets to the building stage. We are excited and are looking forward to finally having our house that we can do what we want with it.

We chose an area without an HOA. Personal preference is that we don't really want to deal with an association. We did physically go and look at the lots that the builder owns but they didn't quite fit us. Our Real Estate agent gave us a list of properties that were for sale and one hit pretty much all the right buttons. She had found houses for us to look at that checked most of our requests, but there was always something (or three) that wasn't working for us.

She was the one that brought up building a house. I am so glad that she did. Obviously she was paying attention to what our comments were on the different places that we checked out and came to the conclusion that we were candidates for new construction. Which pretty much nailed it. We actually wanted to go that route but thought we should at least check out what was currently available.

Since we know this will be our last place, we are being a bit picky about everything. So yeah, we have been driving around a lot and have gotten to know a little bit about the different areas around Tradition and Port St. Lucie.

So, just thought I would say "Hi"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 05:06 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,741 times
Welcome

St Lucie isn't a bad place to plant your root. You can always find things about anyplace that need work or aren't perfect but this area isn't half bad at all.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:42 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,151 times
Congrats! We looked at Holiday and were originally going to go with them. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing updates on the build process. Be patient- it's gonna take some time!

Old 05-01-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Welcome

St Lucie isn't a bad place to plant your root. You can always find things about anyplace that need work or aren't perfect but this area isn't half bad at all.
Being an Army Brat, we did a lot of moving around. I tend to take areas as they are. There are good and bad about most all areas. You live with and enjoy the good and avoid the bad

It is strange thinking about actually planting roots LOL. I've been a bit of a gypsy my whole life. I am ready to finally settle. I love Florida. From the humidity and the heat and everything in between. I am just thrilled I won't be frozen.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
Congrats! We looked at Holiday and were originally going to go with them. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing updates on the build process. Be patient- it's gonna take some time!
We know it will be a while. We are hoping to be in by Christmas but I am not going to count on it. I figure after the new year. The whole process is exciting. I've never gone through it, hubby has once. All this is new for me so I am googling everything

At least with all the places we've lived in, I know what I don't like and what I do. We have chosen the Rainier K model with a couple of the options.

Did you end up building? If so, who did you go with?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
That's fantastic you were able to find a standalone lot you liked and a builder to build on it. You don't see much of that up here in Vero Beach. So congrats.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's fantastic you were able to find a standalone lot you liked and a builder to build on it. You don't see much of that up here in Vero Beach. So congrats.
Thank you

Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Being an Army Brat, we did a lot of moving around. I tend to take areas as they are. There are good and bad about most all areas. You live with and enjoy the good and avoid the bad

It is strange thinking about actually planting roots LOL. I've been a bit of a gypsy my whole life. I am ready to finally settle. I love Florida. From the humidity and the heat and everything in between. I am just thrilled I won't be frozen.
We did the gypsy thing for a while traveling FT in a MH. There are a lot of interesting places to visit. Key word, visit. When it comes to actually wanting to live the list goes down quite rapidly. Although in the end, home is simply where you make it. I think a lot of people get caught up in negatives or dwell on things to the point that it enrages them to move or act. Much of that is internal unhappiness as you can live anywhere. Life is your family and your family is where home is.

Anyway, PSL is a nice little place. Maybe not so little anymore, but it is a nice place. Just outside the Palm Beach county garbage but close enough to still enjoy from time to time. Just above Martin which can be nice or Hokey as you know what. Just below Fort Pierce and far enough away that the garbage there doesn't seep over.

Jupiter is nice, but very expensive for what it is. Any further north and it's snooze city with Vero being the only stand out and Sebastian north being so quite there isn't anything except old folks.

Biggest downside here is the schools but that is a product of them trying to have a bunch of C+ schools than A and F schools. Fortunately Florida is an easy state to home school in. We've had some swing and misses on developments. There is debt to be paid but overall we aren't in bad shape here.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
We did the gypsy thing for a while traveling FT in a MH. There are a lot of interesting places to visit. Key word, visit. When it comes to actually wanting to live the list goes down quite rapidly. Although in the end, home is simply where you make it. I think a lot of people get caught up in negatives or dwell on things to the point that it enrages them to move or act. Much of that is internal unhappiness as you can live anywhere. Life is your family and your family is where home is.

Anyway, PSL is a nice little place. Maybe not so little anymore, but it is a nice place. Just outside the Palm Beach county garbage but close enough to still enjoy from time to time. Just above Martin which can be nice or Hokey as you know what. Just below Fort Pierce and far enough away that the garbage there doesn't seep over.

Jupiter is nice, but very expensive for what it is. Any further north and it's snooze city with Vero being the only stand out and Sebastian north being so quite there isn't anything except old folks.

Biggest downside here is the schools but that is a product of them trying to have a bunch of C+ schools than A and F schools. Fortunately Florida is an easy state to home school in. We've had some swing and misses on developments. There is debt to be paid but overall we aren't in bad shape here.
We don't have to worry about schools. All our kids are grown and spread all over the country. Mine are in Michigan. His are in Oregon and Virginia. We have 6 (!) grandkids ranging from 17 years to 10 months. They are all in Michigan so we take some for a couple of weeks each summer. This year is a bit different since the oldest two are teens, we are doing something with them just before Christmas. The middle two are about the same age as each other so we are going to do Disney then our house this summer. 4 days at Disney and then a week with us.

The two youngest are not yet ready for me to kidnap yet LOL.

Schools are not a consideration so I don't even have to worry about what school system is best.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:24 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We know it will be a while. We are hoping to be in by Christmas but I am not going to count on it. I figure after the new year. The whole process is exciting. I've never gone through it, hubby has once. All this is new for me so I am googling everything

At least with all the places we've lived in, I know what I don't like and what I do. We have chosen the Rainier K model with a couple of the options.

Did you end up building? If so, who did you go with?
Yes, we are building with Maronda. We chose the Sienna model. We are hoping to be in at Christmas as well! I really hope to be- I'd be tickled if we could get Homestead exemption in before the New Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach