Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times

Advertisements

A happy medium may be to add impact glass in some places and shutters in others. Really the odds of needing shutters here is very low. If you live in your house for 20 years you may only close the shutters 2 or 3 times and need them may be only once. I know it is insurance and you have to have them but try and be realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 AM

5 posts, read 6,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
I don't think Colonial shutters would do for a hurricane. They seem more decorative than anything else. Probably why you don't see them.
Used to be very popular. We had family that used them during andrew in Miami and they held strong. Theirs were a 3 piece, the 2 shutters folded in and a 3rd slid across the center instead of just a 2 piece (maybe it was the width of the window). I see a couple of private companies here offer them here just not much other info. I'll keep digging! Of course would still need another 'system' for any sliding doors for insurance.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:37 AM

5 posts, read 6,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Actually they do meet the code and they are in Florida.......just do a google search for Colonial hurricane shutters and they come up. Expensive though, but am thinking we might look into them. Had planned on adding shutters to change up the look of our house. Might as well make them useful ones.
That was my thought...house needs shutters, might as well!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:27 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzyq121 View Post
That was my thought...house needs shutters, might as well!
It would be nice if there was a cross between practical and pleasing to the eye. I rate shutters along with bars on the windows. If I never lived here and saw either I would be very concerned. Invent shutters that don't look ugly and you become an instant billionaire. LOL

Old 06-01-2016, 08:53 PM

623 posts, read 965,996 times
Impact windows will help sell the house on a resale

Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Impact windows will help sell the house on a resale
Impact windows are incredibly expensive and you aren't likely to get even close to what you put into them on resale. As for it helping to sell the house on resale, so would not installing them and dropping the price by the same amount or installing some clear accordions etc.

Either way, you aren't going to recoup those massive costs for impact glass in the home price and there are better uses for the money unless you just want to **** it away on glass and hope it never gets hit / cracks because it is just as expensive to replace them. Something people generally don't think about.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 AM

623 posts, read 965,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Impact windows are incredibly expensive and you aren't likely to get even close to what you put into them on resale. As for it helping to sell the house on resale, so would not installing them and dropping the price by the same amount or installing some clear accordions etc.

Either way, you aren't going to recoup those massive costs for impact glass in the home price and there are better uses for the money unless you just want to **** it away on glass and hope it never gets hit / cracks because it is just as expensive to replace them. Something people generally don't think about.
The price on impact glass has come way down also if your remodeling or doing new construction its a no brainier

Old 06-02-2016, 02:53 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
It would be nice if there was a cross between practical and pleasing to the eye. I rate shutters along with bars on the windows. If I never lived here and saw either I would be very concerned. Invent shutters that don't look ugly and you become an instant billionaire. LOL
I don't understand what's so ugly about them. I work in people's houses every day with them retracted and you barely notice them.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:05 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post

I disagree. MANY HOAs in Indian River County are using impact resistant windows now. In the $200K and up range that I'm familiar with.

And after Hurricane Jeanne, some very affordable condos under $75K currently in FL did replacement with impact windows and it's a factor in why I'm considering moving there right now.

Frequently Asked Questions about Impact Windows | Astor Impact Windows and Doors

Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 PM

44 posts, read 60,088 times
Thank you guys for all the information, I've been looking and comparing what about the hurricane screens? Seems to be maybe a new idea they don't change the look of your home and can withstand high winds and things flying at them. These are not your regular screens from Home Depot p, they are hurricane screens... And one have them? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach