Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:34 AM

115 posts, read 204,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattybee View Post
The only control for these toads is what a homeowner might want to do. Last summer I went on a rampage and collected a total of 15, put them in plastic bags and then into the freezer. It is said it's not an unpleasant death, then I read the opposite. I just didn't have it in me this year to repeat my previous efforts, realizing my paltry contribution to the toads' elimination was no more than a drop in the environmental bucket. My dog is small and old and more inclined to run away from something that big rather than investigate it.

They hang by my front door in the evenings when the outside light is on—I assume they get a meal from the bugs it attracts, but I'm more concerned with my own security, so the light stays on.
they just fall asleep when it gets too cold.. at least reptiles do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:31 AM

71 posts, read 176,366 times
Local lore has it they can spit through a screen and poison your dogs, I don't know whether it is true but don't easily dismiss advice from the elder folk.
What I do know is if they eat from your pets outdoor bowl (and they will) they can leave enough poison behind to sicken or kill a dog!
Neighbor lost one that way.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:37 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Leaving food outside in a bowl is great if you want to feed the local wildlife. Not sure why anyone would want to leave food out in a bowl in a hot/humid climate with a plethora of scavenging wild animals. Much less the frogs.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:11 AM

115 posts, read 204,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINITRUCK83 View Post
What I do know is if they eat from your pets outdoor bowl (and they will) they can leave enough poison behind to sicken or kill a dog!
toads don't eat dog food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach