Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,915 times

Advertisements

I may end up working in the St. Lucie Nuclear Plant. I am a young Asian adult who loves takeout and the city life. I hear Port St. Lucie is pretty lame from the threads in this forum. Any good driving distance cities I should look into? As in less than 1/2 hr drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 11:07 AM

361 posts, read 750,055 times
West Palm Beach

Old 12-17-2016, 04:17 PM

108 posts, read 181,597 times
Less than half hour? Good luck. Northern Palm Beach county is at least 45 minutes away....West Palm itself is probably another 15 minutes. Orlando is a couple of hours away, at least. Still, that's what I like about being here.... far enough from the big city BS but close enough that I can go visit.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinowl View Post
Less than half hour? Good luck. Northern Palm Beach county is at least 45 minutes away....West Palm itself is probably another 15 minutes. Orlando is a couple of hours away, at least. Still, that's what I like about being here.... far enough from the big city BS but close enough that I can go visit.
What about the surrounding cities? I need something where the restaurants don't close at 8PM.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:17 PM

236 posts, read 388,931 times
Wet Palm is less than an hour away, the Boca/Delray area is a little more than an hour away, Fort Lauderdale is about 1.5 hours away, and Miami is 2 hours away. Jupiter is about a half hour away and has a few popular bar and restaurants. All these places offer big city amenities and are within driving distance.

Stuart and Jensen are in the area and seem to be adding new bars and restaurants or expanding existing establishments. There was article in the local paper talking about increased development in downtown Stuart which may make for better nightlife in the future.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:51 PM

472 posts, read 668,897 times
Downtown West Palm Beach is only 30-40 minutes away and that's the nearest place you can call city. I like PSL area. I would like it better if there are mountains around.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:22 AM

62 posts, read 66,994 times
i consider big city and the people in it to be the lamest

Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
restaurants don't close at 8pm...most close at 10pm...depending on which ones you go to.

The power plant is off in the middle on nothing ON PURPOSE-- but that's your choice to work there. You will have to come in to the mainland of either Stuart, Jensen Beach, or Ft Pierce to find more restaurants than the ones that are on Hut Island.

If you love takeout I imagine there will be/ are lots of places if you just take the time to find them.

City life? what do you consider "city life"?

Old 12-18-2016, 12:30 PM

481 posts, read 760,166 times
Just depends on what you are looking for. I work for FPL as well but based out of the headquarters in Juno Beach. Port St. Lucie has alot to offer for a young adult. Just have to do some work to look out for things you are interested in. Just elaborate on what you are looking for and i can give recommendations. There are plenty of places that young professionals go for Happy Hours to network. Also a few sports leagues if you are interested in meeting other young adults.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:56 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
PSL doesn't really offer what one would consider "city life". There are a fairly poor selection of restaurants for a city our size that I'd consider good and you can classify 80% of them as Italian, American or Chinese. Most of them suck. The city is also not walk-able in any shape or form although this is true for most of S FL. You will be driving and it can take 45 minutes to go from the west side of the city (say SLW) to the reactor on the island. It can also take a good solid hour or more to get from the reactor to WPB (lets say 45th street, longer to Okeechobee). Gardens would be a 55 minutes or so. Traffic on the island increases substantially in season. Getting from there to Kanner or Indian take a good bit of time and patience.

Many of the communities are half empty for 9 months a year and there is a certain amount of transient feeling with the snow birds being here a fairly short amount of time. Not every community is like that. Torino will have more full time people living there while the gated communities will be more snow bird orientated. Regardless it can create some difficulty in making home feel like home if you do land in a heavy snow bird area. Cautiously look where you plant your root here.

PSL is a bedroom community with little city infrastructure. We are the land of strip malls, Walmart or it subsidiaries and there is very little in the way of centralized commercial and certainly very little culture worth exploring. We used to have 2 Golden Corals, now just one lol and there are some of the crappier chain restaurants here like Olive Garden, Chilis (or as I call it salt lick), TGI, Red lobster etc.

Most of the excitement and good places are south of us and for whatever reason we haven't seen much of that creep north. I'd love a good Indian, Cuban or hell even Spanish place to eat. We've tried most of PSL and it is very standard mediocre fair. Locals will tend to over rate places because that is all there is here but reality is most of the places here are pretty mediocre food wise.

Best in PSL or the area are probably:

Thirsty Turtle (sandwich / seafood)
Jensen Ale house or St Lucie Draft House (American / Fried food)
Slice of Heaven (Italian)
Hurricanes (wings)
Sky Dragon (Chinese)
Berry Fresh Cafe (Breakfast)

Ironically the city itself has seen a rather large influx of Caribbean and Latin folks yet many of the food option cater to generic taste buds with little taste for quality or even quantity.

Last edited by aridon; 12-18-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach