Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 09:24 PM

153 posts, read 300,897 times

Advertisements

We've had two family vacations ruined by red tide in Siesta Key, so we quit going there. Most recently we've vacationed on the Alabama gulf coast. I love it there, but I need to schedule in May before prices go up. The water is too cold to swim in May at the Alabama beaches. So... I was considering Ft Pierce or Vero. I grew up vacationing in Cocoa Beach most summers, but I remember the water being clearer in Fort Pierce. I was searching for info on this area tonight, and my search results were filled with reports on the algae bloom last summer. Is this still a problem? On average how many months a year are the beaches fouled with algae in south Florida? In ALL the many vacations I spent over the years in the 70s and 80s in Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, and Ft Pierce, I can never recall an algae bloom. I'm scared to make a reservation anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 AM

320 posts, read 389,495 times
The beaches never have Algae.. The river had Algae... but not anymore..

I took a drive down to Hutchinson Island yesterday.. I live 10 minutes from the bridge in Port St Lucie from Jensen Beach causeway.. the water was so blue on the island I thought I was in the Bahamas.. I took some photos when I was there.... The first one is under the bridge at Jensen Beach causeway... the other two are on the island.. This is the south side of the island...

In May the water will be very warm.. its already not too cold now

Last edited by k00p; 03-03-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 03-04-2017, 11:45 AM

153 posts, read 300,897 times
Your pictures are beautiful! Wish I was there now! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:43 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,778,225 times
The only reason the St Lucie river had algae was because of excessive rains last winter. Our dry season was abnormally wet, which filled Lake Okeechobee with too much water. The Corp had to reduce the lake level- and our estuary is the dumping ground for that polluted water.

We have had very little rainfall this winter, and Lake O's levels are good. We should have no lake discharges this spring/summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach