Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:24 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I have quite a few ideas on how to change the economy. But first I have to stop you there with the anti environment nonsense...

Clearly, you've never had to deal with ENCON or the EPA in upstate NY. If you did, you'd be praising the end of their over reach, and racketeering through fines. If they TRULY were pro environment, why aren't they building blimps with cats to clean the air, or testing and cleaning the water? All the billions they rake in, and don't have anything but hyperbole and Al Gore to show for it. Impressive. Taxing and fines doesn't clean it or address it. It's merely a slap on the wrist, that financially hurts companies. And when companies get hurt, its the little guys working, the pensioners, and investors who get hurt. Case in point GE with the polluting of the Hudson river...
With all that racketeering money, the EPA could have restored it, but bureaucrats need 60k-6 figure salaries to shove global warming campaigns down others throats, push prius sales, and demonize diesels as cancer on wheels... When the lithium ion batteries are far more dangerous for the environment... Especially when they fail. And when they fail, boy are they glorious! I'd rather bury an old big block in my back yard over a lithium ion or nickle cadmium battery any day of the week. Wait for landfills to get filled with those...

Me personally, I pay attention to details.
Florida is year round hot. No snow. Harleys are very popular down here. If I were running the state, I'd go and try to bring manufacturing to this state. Why? Year round sales. Haul raw material in via rail cars. Would easily cut their freight bill in half, in turn using less fuel and quite possibly 0 "freight/destination" charge passed onto the consumer. Win win.

Can't rely just on tourism, Tropicana, and Disney to support the local population. There is a TON of potential and untapped markets down here that nobody has figured out or looked into. Maybe they have and its been shut down by idiot town board members who think shilling for walmart, the oil industry, and chain stores is a good thing...

Everywhere you look. Construction of what? Ooo another Aldi, another pharmacy, an auto parts chain store, a gas station! Strip malls as far as the eye can see... If you're in construction good I guess... But you're saturating the market and wasting good space for brainless dead end low wage jobs. Congratulations you played yourselves.

Take it from someone who dealt with cityiots leaving the boroughs to migrate to upstate NY and buy out farms, sub divide and ruin the areas they touched.
If you think they're going to help the economy, you're wrong. Wait until they get in town boards. It will be them and their interests over the full time residents. Get used to customer service and asking if you want fries with that, or a to go box... And get used to seeing every inch of vacant property built on for their new half million dollar homes (which caused everyones taxes to go up) and hearing your neighbors fart since they built almost on top of you...

I can sympathize with the Florida born... Not cool seeing your areas ruined... Used to be nice to jump on a snowmobile and ride hours on end, until the cityiots who were up on weekends called the cops for making noise or riding on their property... Or close to it. Being in the woods sighting in a rifle and hunting. Dirt bikes. Quads. All of that came to a screeching hault to appease them. And what did and who did they benefit? Builders. And the money hungry assessors. Those who fed their families with white tails were reduced to only week days and sunday afternoons God forbid one of those cry baby wimps heard a gunshot... They created more problems for locals than anything. They were and are a cancer.

Trump was granted $ for military spending.
Why not build ships and subs for the navy? Hello the water is right over there...

Movie industry... Eh. Hasn't been a good movie out of hollywierd in a long time. Unless you want them to do what they only know how to do, which is remake films and ruin them like remake a modern rendition of Scarface...

Only industry I have seen, HVAC repair/maintenance which unless you're licensed and are an LLC doing it for yourself isn't a top dollar job.
Auto repair-hung up my wrenches months ago. No A/C in the shop, and no work unless it was warranty work. No state safety inspections. Y'all run vehicles until the wheels fall off. Literally. 95 is like a mobile junk yard... Either don't have money for repairs, or spend it on big wheels, and subwoofers. Brakes? Who needs brakes when they can hear my boom box from 3 blocks away and have time to move outta my way.
Front end falling out? No way... At least these twenny fos shine good.
Seriously there needs to be a mandatory driving school down here. I swear it's like western mass all the way to Boston down here... But with more accidents... Between lack of brakes, inoperable tail lights, lack of looking in blind spots, 10 mph under the speed limit in the fast lane, lack of using turn signals, and not going when the light turns green... And can someone explain how, in a state with no terrain, no snow, no banked corners y'all manage to put a car, not a Florida cracker lifted rig, but a CAR on it's side or on its roof?! How! It defies physics and logic...

Retail-needs snowbirds and northeast transplants. Jewelry stores, restaurants/bars, real estate, car sales, pawn shops, landscapers etc.
Change to some manufacturing and seek out skilled trades, thats where the money is. I'd be pulling Global Foundaries down here for computer chips, prosessors etc. They paid material handlers 22 per hour. Pipe fitters 30+. Engineers were 6 figures. Doesn't just have to be building and manufacturing cars/trucks/motorcycles...

If you rationalize and think driving to west palm is acceptable for work... You haven't lived until your 50k+ a year job was only minutes away... Alot of my friends want to leave NY. It sucks up there. But they would either have to change careers or get used to sub 20 an hour jobs... And 90 days of guaranteed employment... (have seen that first hand happen in the dealership I worked at, hire kids on for 90 days promise them a raise after day 90 then fire them 4pm day 90. Brother in law went job to job like that for 3 years down here like that. I figured he's just incompetent, but when you have a densely populated area, and you're paying Joe Schmo top dollar, you can replace him with 2 starving dweebs who will work for less after he's trained them to do the same task to the same quality as he did)

This state has colleges that produce engineers in all sorts of fields, and they all head north or out west for $ since they'd have to accept less down here or don't have available jobs here.

Want to make this area better? Start with that. I could turn the alphabet streets of fort pierce into a prosperous area. Revise the zoning board requiring there to be distance between houses, nothing wrong with having an acre or few. Put some good paying jobs in... Buy up the vacant houses on a whole block knock them down. Dedicate an area for low income housing, put a few high rises in place of entire blocks of slum housing, use the other blocks for manufacturing plants.

But yes, I can be happy when the snowbirds go back. Nothing like going out to dinner or grab drinks and dodge walkers, scooters, canes, and oxygen lines/tanks... Looking like the flood gates broke at the retirement home, stuck in an episode of the walking dead...
Just what we don't want or need in Florida. Ruin the environment and you have nothing. Making $$$$$$$$ money is not everything to everyone. "Lots of my friends want to leave New York" That says it right there to me. Why come down and ruin the environment here just like has been done in so many places in the North. Let us enjoy our beautiful nature that we have in this state. If you want all that you wrote about then perhaps you should not have moved to Florida. You just don't get the impotance of saving our environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 02:36 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,742,664 times
It is surprisingly common to see these sorts of posts on here, where someone has left a certain area 'X' for [reasons], only to move to another place "Y" and suggest 'improving' Y by doing to Y all the things that made X so intolerable. The phrase "That's not how we did it back in [X]" is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 AM

7 posts, read 5,996 times
Default Thats me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Happiness is a Yankee going home with a Canadian under each arm LOL.
Haha, As a Canadian snowbird, I can chuckle at your post (glad you put the LOL in there), seriously tho, I hope you're not one of those "angry" locals that I happen to meet, from time to time.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:39 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
Some of our friends are getting ready to go back north. The 24th of April seems to be the magic number.

I'm going to miss them.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:56 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
It is surprisingly common to see these sorts of posts on here, where someone has left a certain area 'X' for [reasons], only to move to another place "Y" and suggest 'improving' Y by doing to Y all the things that made X so intolerable. The phrase "That's not how we did it back in [X]" is like fingernails on a chalkboard.
It's way too common and defies logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach