U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 09:04 AM

540 posts, read 446,825 times

Advertisements

When we go to the beach my wife like to hunt for seashells. We hit a few yesterday including Jetty Park, Middle Cove, Frederick Douglass and Jensen Beach without much luck. What beach and tide conditions would be optimal for finding larger shells?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:56 AM

4,491 posts, read 7,537,310 times
after a big storm

Hut Island should be a good area since its directly on the ocean. I honestly have never seen any big shells on the beaches here.

of course Sanibel is a mecca for hunting for shells.. been there.. have a shell and coral collection

Old 06-26-2017, 06:22 PM

3,718 posts, read 6,676,489 times
I have large baskets of larger shells that we have collected over the last 20 years-all from Brevard and Indian River County beaches. It has been harder to find them in recent years because of the beach refurbishment A good time to go out is after any Tropical Storms or Hurricanes even if they stay way out in the ocean. You will find more at high and low tide. If the reef is close to a beach where it shows at low tide it is usually not a good spot to et whole shells. The rocks break them up.

I do not harvest any from the water because they are probably still alive. Only pick up ones left on the beach. In the past we found large Florida Welks, Lace Murex, banded tulips, thick lipped drills, and Scotch bonnets. This year we have just gotten strawberry scallops, angel wings, turkey wings, and a few pen shells.
Fall should be a better time to find shells than J
June and July.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:01 PM

213 posts, read 641,704 times
The wildlife area at the top of Jupiter Island. Take bridge Rd all the way to the end and turn left. $5 to park. I've got a percent collection and also a nice sea bean collection.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:55 AM

540 posts, read 446,825 times
Thanks for the replies!

Old 06-27-2017, 02:24 PM

320 posts, read 281,089 times
I was just at Jetty Park this morning.. its a nice little spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Best beaches to find shells?-dd2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or