Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 9,496 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I am planning on moving to Port St. Lucie within the next 2 - 4 weeks. I am looking for a home school group for my 9th grader. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
I have a younger one just getting ready to start in a year. All of the groups we found here in PSL with an online presence have been dormant for 3+ years. There is a post on secular home school forums about someone looking into them back in 2011 IIRC and found that there were no activities going on with them. I doubt you'll have issues with portfolio review and/or assessments but active groups seem to be missing in this area. Especially secular based.

West Palm has a few active groups. If you're interested that would be a place to look. Google and Reddit can guide you as there are several. That is where we will look once the time is right.

I'm sure the larger Evangelical churches in the area have people doing home school. If that is your thing you might want to go and ask around. While we are people of faith we don't share the zeal and strictly literal interpretations you'll mostly find there. We prefer a more secular group that isn't primarily focused on including a religious slant in almost everything you do and teach.

If you find anything worthy, especially for a young girl please PM me.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:25 AM

62 posts, read 136,059 times
We are in Palm City and a neighbor homeschools with a few people from PSL. Let me ask her for you!

Old 08-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks Aridon. I'll let you know if I find anything. I found a small Mom group on Facebook, but haven't received any responses yet.

Thanks CarolinaHopefuls. My daughter barely passed Math, even with two different tutors for the entire year, so I want to try something a bit different. Her school doesn't challenge or motivate her. I also don't like the class size of 1 teacher to 25-30 kids.

I am also interested in small Christian schools. Any help there is also appreciated.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankins View Post
Thanks Aridon. I'll let you know if I find anything. I found a small Mom group on Facebook, but haven't received any responses yet.

Thanks CarolinaHopefuls. My daughter barely passed Math, even with two different tutors for the entire year, so I want to try something a bit different. Her school doesn't challenge or motivate her. I also don't like the class size of 1 teacher to 25-30 kids.

I am also interested in small Christian schools. Any help there is also appreciated.
Morningside Academy in PSL or First Baptist of Stuart has a school as wel

Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM

50 posts, read 54,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankins View Post
Greetings all,

I am planning on moving to Port St. Lucie within the next 2 - 4 weeks. I am looking for a home school group for my 9th grader. Any suggestions?
My son and daughter in law homeschool their children, they live in Fort Pierce and the oldest child just finished the 9th grade. They belong to various local groups, if you PM me I will give you my sons contact info

Old 08-01-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks newred5. We have researched Morningside Academy. I'll look into FBofS now.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Thanks rolsinski. I am not sure how to PM you. I "befriended" you and the system is waiting for you to accept. thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach