Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 AM

8 posts, read 6,357 times

Advertisements

This thread is more so for the folks in Port Saint Lucie

Good Morning,

My wife and I are looking to relocate from New Jersey. The main reason for wanting to relocate is for weather. Really can't take the Jersey winter's anymore. Port Saint Lucie is on our bucket list, as well as Charleston, SC. We are leaning towards Port Saint Lucie because of it's weather My main concern is,

1. How hot does it actually get in June/July/August? I love the heat but the wife not so much.

2. Port Saint Lucie is a pretty big place. How bad is the crime? and could you suggest areas to stay away from, and areas to focus in on

3. Would we be accepted coming from the North? Port Saint Lucie has the reputation of being Rednecks (NOT THAT WE HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST THAT), but would we be accepted? I can tell you we are two of the most down to earth people you will meet, just looking to making friends. I am a retired Police Officer. I am also a United Stated Veteran, and we both belong to the American Legion, and the Legion Riders. I also belong to the Knights of Columbus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance,

God Bless the United States of America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 01:54 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,769 times
Port St Lucie certianly isnt full of rednecks, some would disagree that's that for another day . Many many people here from NY and NJ and in fact most people I know are from elsewhere .I retired from the NYS Dept of Corrections myself and we reclocated here in 2011. Enjoy living here and feel very safe in all areas of PSL. I wouldnt say to "stay away " from any areas of PSL, drive around and you will notice few small areas where you may not chose to live certianly being a policeman. Want to be near the ocean , stay south east of US 1 ( older areas) Sandpiper area in PSL or North River Shores/Eagle March in Jensen beach don't care about the beach much them St Lucie West in the St Charles area would be my choice.
Heat well yeah it gets hot here , get out early or later in day , shade, pool or beach and your fine ...
And thank you for your service ! Come check us out , we would love to have you and your family !

Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
It's hot and more importantly humid. You deal. Anyone that tells you it doesn't suck probably keeps their air conditioner at 79 or 80 and goes to bed at 8pm. Our Summers can wear on you but it's still better than dealing with snow and ice. Regardless, they wear on you.

Crime is low in PSL, never felt unsafe here.

Yes snow birds and transplants are welcome. No question about it.

Not many rednecks at all in PSL. Haven't seen that even 15 years ago, never been something I've noticed. Loxahatche or out west in Okeechobee? Sure, but not PSL.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:30 PM

39 posts, read 63,678 times
I looked at the temperature on weather underground and it said the heat index was 123. Not sure if that was a typo, but it kinda feels like it.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times
No way, usually when we are 92 outside the index is 105. Today is 88 so probably closer to 100. Still hot but no way it's 120.

The crappy part is there is no relief. 11pm the feels like can still be 88 or 90 degrees and the humidity goes up as temp drops so it's even more soupy

Old 08-23-2017, 05:49 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,951 times
1. June, July, and August are pretty much the same temp every day. 90 is the high, 80 is the low. It is hot, but most of the time we have a decent breeze and it doesn't feel as bad as it should. It is very humid. Charleston is just as hot during the summers, but you will have cold winters. The downtown area in SC floods after every summer rain or high tide.

2. Crime is pretty nonexistent. Only major issues we have are petty theft and vehicle break ins. Charleston is much more violent.

3. I am a little bit offended that you have heard we are "rednecks". That is so untrue. I would say around half of our population probably came from the New England states. You will fit in quite well. You will NOT fit in well in Charleston. I can guarantee that.

Charleston and PSL are two totally different worlds. I would advise going for a week and visiting both locations before deciding one way or another.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 PM

217 posts, read 372,250 times
I've been here over 30 years. I always call summer May to September, with temps reaching their extremes in July and August. Then there's that wonderful early October morning you awaken and can feel that summer's done. Can your wife deal with that?

Old 08-24-2017, 04:46 AM

320 posts, read 393,427 times
If any place has rednecks it is for sure S or North Carolina.. You can't get much more redneck than those two states. There are no "rednecks" here.. its mostly white middle aged middle class people from up north..

I moved here about 4 years ago from up north near your location... It's paradise in comparison........ I live about 10 minutes from the bridge going over to Hutchinson Island........

If you live here and you can go to the island anytime you feel like it just minutes away. Fishing.. Boating...... wild Dolphins swimming around...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHG-gewWKIA

not to mention you can take day trips to the Bahamas from Port Everglades / FT Lauderdale which is only about an hour drive.. 3 hour ferry ride over to Grand Bahama. They leave at like 8am and come back 8pm.

Take a look at Stuart too.. its a few minutes below Port St Lucie and a nice smaller town.

Last edited by k00p; 08-24-2017 at 05:08 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 PM

226 posts, read 214,695 times
My parents moved to PSL from NY about 40 years ago. One by one my siblings started moving here. My husband and I moved here from GA 4 years ago. After living in the south for 25 years I can tell you that you will meet a lot more rednecks in NC and SC than you will here. I meet a lot of NY/NJ people here. check out Sandpiper in PSL. It is an older neighborhood with mostly middle-aged and older folks.
You mentioned that you are a vet. The VA hospital is about 50 minutes from here, but for "primary care" such as check-ups you just go to the satellite office in Stuart, about 20 minutes.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:20 AM

211 posts, read 708,856 times
Would love to hear everyone's definition of redneck, having lived just outside Charlotte for 10 years and PSL the last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach