U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 05:21 PM

197 posts, read 563,448 times

Advertisements

Haven't been biking much lately with most of the trails flooded and realize most hiking spots are either flooded or still have hurricane damage. Just looking for some places to get a good long hike in either local or not so local. Have been to a few places nearby, Oxbow Eco center, Hawks Bluff trail, Paleo Hammock preserve. Even made a trip to Kisimmee Prarie Preserve state park which I really enjoyed.

Name your favorite places to get a good hike and see some nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,502,536 times
Have you checked out the Florida Trail Association? You don’t even have to join the organization; just go through Meetup.

Not sure which chapter you’d be in.

Every year the Loxahatchee chapter does day hikes from Hobe Soubd Beach to Lake Okeechobee. These are day hikes; each stretch is an 8-14 mile hike; just go home afterwards,you don’t have to camp. Just join in on whatever day you choose. It’s called the Ocean to Lake Hiking Trail. They’ll organize this in early spring next year.

The Loxahatchee Slough is really beautiful now that it’s wet.

Corbett is nice but it’s hunting season now; same with Dupuis. Also Jones Hungryland. Palm Beach county ERM Hungryland does not allow hunting so

Also google St Lucie County Natural Areas. There’s one off of 60 next to an orange grove that I hiked through once. Really liked it, saw all kinds of wildlife. I’d have to look at the site to see which one it is.

Floridahikes!is probably your best source.

If you’re up for a drive, Black Bear Wilderness Trail in Sanford is gorgeous.

Once a month FTA has a Sunday hike in Jonathan Dickinson in Jupiter. People come from up hour way to do that hike.

Riverbend Park in Jupiter is stunning and is also part of the OTLHT. You can hit there and hike to the north side of the. Cypress Creek Natural Area.

Halpatiokee, Apoxee in West Palm (and Hog Hammock etc on the north side of Grassywaters) are good as well.

I personally have the most luck in wildlife sightings at the places that are open for hunting now, so I wait for hunting season to be over.

There’s a place in Tequesta-I’ll post the name when I think of it. Sometimes I just find random places when driving around.

Dinner Island Ranch is good as well.

There’s also the annual hike around Lake O through the FTA.

Seminole State Forest and Wekiva Preserve are usually good for wildlife sightings. Of course there the ONF but it is hunting season.

The place in St Lucie cty I was thinking of us Pinelands off of 70, next to a cattle ranch and orange grove. Six miles of trails I think. I really enjoyed it. Lots of wildlife at the time Ibwas there.

Atlantic Ridge, Savannah’s Preserve.., Viera Wetlands, Hobe Sound NWR, the dune natural areas (Juno and Jupiter Ridge, but they’re short)

Black Bear Scenic Byway -Lake County- Sugarloaf Mt.

Seabranch Preserve State Park is near you and has some unique and endangered habitat. I believe the south end has a bike trail. I don’t think it would be flooded at all since it is on a dune/Scrub for the most part. It’s off Dixie in Stuart. There’s parking but I believe you can park at the VFW if need be. Again, Floridahikes! has this info. You might be in the Tropical Trekkers chapter, or maybe the next one north of that.

Hickory Hammock has some nice big oaks, as does Highlands Hammick.

I enjoy Trimble Park in Mt Dora/ Tangerine. Not a major hike but a very pretty place. Lake County has some great drives and hikes. Emeralda Marsh is great for birding, as is the Lake Apopka Area.

If you go on Meetup , you’ll find that the Central Florida/Highlanders chapter is particularly active with some fantastic hikes. Even if you choose not to go with them you’ll at least have the location info!

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 11-05-2017 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach