Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 01:32 PM

481 posts, read 759,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sam's Club, the membership warehouse owned by retail giant Walmart, is shutting down or converting 63 stores, a Walmart official confirmed Thursday.

Of those locations, about 50 will be going out of business for good. Roughly 10 of those locations are closing their doors as soon as Thursday, while the remainder will be shuttered over the next three to four weeks, the Walmart official said.

Additionally, about 10 to 12 Sam's Club stores are slated to be closed temporarily as the retailer converts them to regional distributional centers to help ramp up its ability to fulfill online purchases. While those stores will reopen in a new role, workers previously employed at those locations are not necessarily guaranteed a role in the new positions

The company would not immediately say the specific locations that will be affected by the closures, or the number of employees that would be impacted. But at the three Indiana locations, 419 employees will be affected according to state filings. And in his note, Furner confirmed that the first of the stores to transition into a distribution center will be in Memphis.

Furner said that the company would try "to place as many associates as possible in new roles at nearby locations.''

The closures came the same day that Walmart said it would lift the hourly minimum wage in the U.S. to $11 and giving out bonuses of up to $1,000.
Sam's Club is closing and converting dozens of locations,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
I'm pretty sure we have nothing to worry about here in the land of Port St Walmart.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:59 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,725 times
My guess is between the super stores and grocery stores the model is not needed anymore.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:13 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
I would prefer Sams stay open since we don't have a Costco. Im not a Walmart grocery shopper and some things I prefer to buy the "large economy size" ...because it does cost less.

Thinking that if they are going to convert to distribution centers, they are ramping up for a fight against Amazon?

Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Some of you might be old enough to remember ordering out of a catalog. In fact the Amazon model has been around for well over 100 years except now they have the internet. Places like Sams and Costco are great but I wonder if they can hang on long enough for Amazon to go belly up.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM

623 posts, read 965,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Some of you might be old enough to remember ordering out of a catalog. In fact the Amazon model has been around for well over 100 years except now they have the internet. Places like Sams and Costco are great but I wonder if they can hang on long enough for Amazon to go belly up.
I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon

Old 01-22-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon
That's what they said about Worldcom and Enron among other giants. Already competition for Amazon is heating up. At some point people will be fed up with ordering on line and will begin to go back to stores. In fact in some places it's already happening. With Amazon wanting to intrude in all aspects of your life there will be a line.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:16 AM

30 posts, read 48,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
That's what they said about Worldcom and Enron among other giants. Already competition for Amazon is heating up. At some point people will be fed up with ordering on line and will begin to go back to stores. In fact in some places it's already happening. With Amazon wanting to intrude in all aspects of your life there will be a line.
YA RIGHT
Amazon.com, Inc., doing business as Amazon, is an American electronic commerce and cloud computing company based in Seattle, Washington that was founded by Jeff Bezos on July 5, 1994. Wikipedia

Customer service: 1 (888) 280-4331

Stock price: AMZN (NASDAQ) $1,315.39 +20.81 (+1.61%)
Jan 22, 12:14 PM EST - Disclaimer

Headquarters: Seattle, WA

Founder: Jeff Bezos

Founded: July 5, 1994, Seattle, WA

Subsidiaries: Audible Inc., Whole Foods Market, Zappos, MORE

Did you know: Amazon is the world's largest internet company by revenue. wikipedia.org

Old 01-23-2018, 01:01 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Sorry homie, I don't think you're right on that. People LOVE ordering online. Amazon has the market knocked. They are Walmart without having to mingle with the Walmart shoppers. We all dread going to that store because of 2 things- the other shoppers, and the ridiculous lines. It is so easy and convenient to shop at home and avoid both of those irritations.

Amazon continues to be innovative as well. They are finding new ways to get those orders to you as quickly as possible. I don't see them slowing down at all for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach