U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 03:24 PM

10,599 posts, read 16,904,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00p View Post
Boca Raton is much nicer than vero beach...

and great for 55+ people...

It's a much wore affluent place as well with great shopping and great beaches... its also warmer in the winters.. and the water is nicer.. more blue and cleaner.. and much more tropical feel.

and very very low crime.
The fact you STILL think the water is significantly "more blue and cleaner" 100 miles away in Boca is sad.

why is the water bluer in the afternoon

The ocean is not blue it's clear. Water color.

As was posted before when you said that ^^: Red, orange and yellow (long wavelength light) are absorbed more strongly by water than is blue (short wavelength light). So when white light from the sun enters the ocean, it is mostly the blue that gets returned. Same reason the sky is blue. Also other factors like the depth.

And today, there's a 4 degree difference in the water temp. Vero/Boca 69/73. Same with the weather.

The Gulf Stream - Florida Current

How Can Bodies of Water Be Different Colors? | Mental Floss

Atlantic Ocean Vero Beach

https://www.google.com/search?q=vero...EIPDAC#imgrc=_

Atlantic Ocean Boca Raton

Color change

The City of Boca Raton has almost 100K people.

The City of Vero Beach has 15,000.

Why do you insist on pontificating about Vero Beach when you don't even live in this county, and the most you know about it is from one time you took a ride down Indian River Boulevard so you could trash talk the place?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-20-2018 at 03:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Yeah, Waterway Village meets all of your requirements. The North end up there is more rural and quiet, too if that vibe fits you. You will need to drive about 15-20 minutes to the mall for anything other than buying everyday stuff. But there are pharmacies, Publix, a strip mall, McD, Pizza etc...booze, a Hair Cuttery, a True Value, 2 vets, and the hospital area with medical and docs is at 38th. So is my dentist - the best! Ocean Oaks. And a bit of other random stuff.

Waterway is at 53rd. It's very close to the bridge to the barrier island. LIke 10 minutes.

But your initial sentence doesn't bode well. Saying all people do is complain in a 55+ is just not true. So maybe you're not cut out for the HOA life.

Also how nice could it have been if it's right at the interstate???

This happens all the time. People want to live there because they're the nicest, then have a bunch of reasons why they don't like them.

Also Grand Harbor, even though it's golf oriented, it's a beautiful community and the courses are part of the beauty. You don't have to buy into the golf.

https://realestatescorecard.com/site...?itok=OfAUD8I1

http://thefallsgrandharbor.com/image...?crc=393333619

It's got many many communities within the larger community of every type of housing from condo style on the marina to single family in only a cul-de-sac of a handful of homes.

https://activerain-store.s3.amazonaw...7849741881.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/steverennick.com/w...1/160408_2.jpg

http://www.grandharborverobeachprope...isting/1-1.jpg

Each subset has a pool of their own. My favorite model of home is in there - they call it a "Couryard Pool" or something. You have your own pool behind a wall with a screened in lanai and roof. They're attached singles, I think.

You could literally walk across the street to the shopping there as you could from Waterway but only if you were desperate up there LOL. Waterway, you'd really need a bike.

Their 55+, Grand Harbor has one section that is age restricted - Oak Harbor - and on premise they also have a very nice LF. So if say, you had some surgery you could contract with them for in home health or stay at the ALF until your rehab is finished. Oak Harbor has singles and condos.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/f3/cb/9e/f...ch-florida.jpg

https://ap.rdcpix.com/1682013976/f06...0_h770_q80.jpg

Also Woodfield is 55+ and meets your requirements plus it's right at the mall for all the shopping but when I rented there they had very lax bylaws allowing kids and it was over-run. Perhaps they've changed it.

You need to come here and visit each place - we have a ton. I also suggest you rent in one either short term seasonal or for a year to decide before making another wrong choice.

If you hit my user id and search my posts on this subforum I have a zillion posts on this subject.

It's prohibited to post RE listings here but here's basic photos of part of the GH marina section. They have all sizes of boats.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a7/2d/03/a...beach-club.jpg

https://gaytravel-destinations.s3.am...nner-large.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...16572794963712

I'd say if you can't make friends there, you can't make them anywhere especially since boaters are party people.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-20-2018 at 04:24 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciab10 View Post
Since this is a 2nd home.. we ruled out the northern third of the state from the start.. only considered East coast .. south of Melbourne.. and west coast south of Tampa.

Our budget for buying was 350-400K. We looked at condos on the water(smaller) and homes with HOA's.. Wanted landscaping not just for us.. but for our neighbors..

Naples is very nice.. we have been going there for many years.. our best friends have a 2nd home there.. but for what we wanted to spend.. you are so far away from everything... we could have gotten the exact same house for abt 150K more than we paid in Vero.. and it was 40 minutes from downtown! And Naples is really just too crowded in season..

I liked Venice .. very cute downtown.. but not a whole lot to do there.. We went up to Sarasota a lot! Liked that area.. but never found an area we loved.. We also looked in Ft. Myers and Cape Coral.. besides the proximity to the airport.. that area didn't do much for us.

The main reason we came to this side was close family in Indialantic. We looked there for 3-4 months.. A lot of small ocean front condos.. and existing homes that would have needed to be rehabbed..which was ok.. just never found the right one.. I liked the geographic area of Viera.. 40 minutes from MCO.. and all the florida attractions for visitors.. 15-20 min from the beach.. The newer areas we looked at were too young.. we didn't want over 55.. but we also didn't want a community of all young families. We liked the older Baytree Subdivision.. but never found the right house..

We just drove south on A1A one day and happened upon Vero.. had never even been here before! Looked at a few newer areas off of Indian River in 2015.. east of 1, but they were more than we wanted to spend.. Drove down again in 2016.. and found the Lakes.. Bought in oct 2016.. closed in April 2017.

For us.. this is a perfect location.. we are only 10 min from the beach and all there is do there... Have already been to Riverside Theatre.. and my husband takes the dog to their great dog park every day.. We are only 5-10 minutes to 60 and all the stores.. We are still just about 40 minutes from my family..

We usually drive down, because we have a dog that is too large to fly and we would never make him an emotional support dog.. lol.. but the downside to Vero is proximity to a major airport.. but I am sure that is why it is still a little quieter than towns! We are very happy with our decision!
That's funny you think 1.5 hours is a poor proximity to a major airport.

I lived in Philly and it was practically the same amount of time to the airport. You can be right on Long Island and stuck in traffic for longer than that to both airports. Same in Jersey. It takes an hour from DC to Dulles and it's only 30 miles! LOL

Where in the world does everyone in the US live closer than that to a major airport?

Of course you chose Waterway which is out in the boondocks so you have to drive maybe 15-20 minutes to even get on I-95 to start to an airport, so you can't include that in the airport commute, IMO.

OR you can use Melbourne or Vero Beach Municipal Airports depending where you're going.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-20-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 04:55 PM

21 posts, read 38,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I would love to consider a lifestyle like that myself in retirement. I do agree with you're assesment about looking at the southern most third of the state for snow birding. The places on my list to look would be;

West
-Sarasota
-Venice
-Punta Gorda
-Naples

East
-Vero
-Port ST Lucie
-Stuart
-Jupiter

It's just that it's a heck of a lot of money to spend for 3-4 months of warmth.
I know.. that was why we rented for 5 years prior to purchasing.. Didn't make sense until we could spend 5-6 months here.. This year we came down for 6 weeks in Oct/Nov.. then back north for the holidays.. then left day after Christmas.. We like to fly down for a week or so in the off season too... have a pool here.. not up north!

Your choices are good.. its all about budget.. and where you want to be!

Old 01-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's funny you think 1.5 hours is a poor proximity to a major airport.

I lived in Philly and it was practically the same amount of time to the airport. You can be right on Long Island and stuck in traffic for longer than that to both airports. Same in Jersey. It takes an hour from DC to Dulles and it's only 30 miles! LOL

Where in the world does everyone in the US live closer than that to a major airport?

Of course you chose Waterway which is out in the boondocks so you have to drive maybe 15-20 minutes to even get on I-95 to start to an airport, so you can't include that in the airport commute, IMO.

OR you can use Melbourne or Vero Beach Municipal Airports depending where you're going.
LOL! We have lived in Suburban Chicago our whole lives , actually now in the far out suburbs, and it still only takes us 45-50 minutes to either airport.. Yes..in rush hour.. or if there is an accident.. it can take a whole lot longer.. but normal time 45-50.

I really don't think Waterway is out in the boondocks! Yes we are 15 minutes to 95.. which is fine.. we didn't want to be close to 95.. We are less than 10 minutes from the beach, Theater and dog park.. 10 minutes to downtown and all those great restaurants.. and 5-10 minutes from 60 and all the stores..10 minutes to the mall and movies.. For us it is perfect..

If you are going to the east coast Melbourne or Vero might work.. but they don't have any direct flights to Chicago.. and its worth 90 minutes of driving not to layover@!

Old 01-20-2018, 05:33 PM

[quote=runswithscissors;50762916]Yeah, Waterway Village meets all of your requirements. The North end up there is more rural and quiet, too if that vibe fits you. You will need to drive about 15-20 minutes to the mall for anything other than buying everyday stuff.

I might drive a little faster than most.. but from our house we are only 4.1 miles to the target, pier one, bealls lowes, bed bath beyond.. just down 58th.. has never taken me 10 minutes.. usually 6-8 minutes.

Going to Home Depot, Home Goods, Walmart.. on the other side of 60 might take an extra minute or two..

The mall and theaters.. 10 minutes tops.. unless people are driving 20 miles an hour in a 45 mph zone! Which I know sometimes people do! lol

Old 01-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
LOL! We have lived in Suburban Chicago our whole lives , actually now in the far out suburbs, and it still only takes us 45-50 minutes to either airport.. Yes..in rush hour.. or if there is an accident.. it can take a whole lot longer.. but normal time 45-50.

I really don't think Waterway is out in the boondocks! Yes we are 15 minutes to 95.. which is fine.. we didn't want to be close to 95.. We are less than 10 minutes from the beach, Theater and dog park.. 10 minutes to downtown and all those great restaurants.. and 5-10 minutes from 60 and all the stores..10 minutes to the mall and movies.. For us it is perfect..

If you are going to the east coast Melbourne or Vero might work.. but they don't have any direct flights to Chicago.. and its worth 90 minutes of driving not to layover@!

[quote=marciab10;50763760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yeah, Waterway Village meets all of your requirements. The North end up there is more rural and quiet, too if that vibe fits you. You will need to drive about 15-20 minutes to the mall for anything other than buying everyday stuff.

I might drive a little faster than most.. but from our house we are only 4.1 miles to the target, pier one, bealls lowes, bed bath beyond.. just down 58th.. has never taken me 10 minutes.. usually 6-8 minutes.

Going to Home Depot, Home Goods, Walmart.. on the other side of 60 might take an extra minute or two..

The mall and theaters.. 10 minutes tops.. unless people are driving 20 miles an hour in a 45 mph zone! Which I know sometimes people do! lol
Seriously? You're going to nit pick me over a couple of minutes?

Oh Chicago. OK I get it. Those of us from urban dense MSAs like Chicago and Philly think our city and burbs are the center of the universe for our state. (we're not). Considering Illinois is 60,000 square miles. THAT'S what I was talking about when I said how the rest of the country lives.

And Vero Beach is not a suburb of West Palm Beach or Orlando.

Also funny I guess some people quote the OPTIMUM bare minimum amount of commuting time as if nobody ever needs to catch a flight in "rush hour" or when there's an accident but other people like me throw all that into the equation. Like my ORIGINAL comment "You can be" and "practically".

Anyway...

At this very moment, 8:41 PM on Saturday night, it's 13 minutes from your entrance (NOT YOUR HOME) via 43rd, 12 minutes via 66th, and 10 minutes via 58th to Home Depot. And if you're leaving the mall area between 2:30 and 4:00 going North, you'll hit back to back traffic on 58th of all the construction vehicles and workers which will add MORE time. And if you're leaving the mall on the NorthWest side at the Wells Fargo from ANY of the parking lot exits, you're going to have to go right and make a U-Turn into oncoming traffic to go North, so that's more time you're sitting.

NOT 6.

And at this very moment, it's 12 minutes from your gate to the beach, but of course there's no PARKING THERE on a Saturday night so you'll be driving around for another 10 minutes. And of course since that bridge turn is one of the most common accident locations, you may be sitting there another 30 minutes and miss your dinner reservation but that's fine. So it's more like 12.

NOT "less than 10". Especially when you hit the railroad tracks and a train is passing by which itself can take 10 minutes.

But thanks for educating me about the Vero Beach area and the traffic. I've only lived here 10 years spending all my time in the car all day long, with my eye on the clock working by appointment for my business....compared to your handful of weeks snowbirding here. Who knows. Maybe you're one of those people who always run "late" and the actual time doesn't matter to you. But it matters to me. So I allow for the reality of traffic. (cue the snowbirds saying "Oh you think traffic is bad here - you don't know what traffic is!".

BTW don't be surprised if you're speeding down one of these roads and tailgating me and you get a brake job. That's how we roll up in my Northern city. I've already been rear ended AT A FULL STOP twice in Florida and it's not going to happen again.

And I've seen two people die at intersections in the past one year....with morons running lights so I also SLOW DOWN when passing through those intersections and look for said morons who aren't stopping OR making turns before they are clear to do so. And one of the deaths was at the turn into my very own HOA on Route 1.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-20-2018 at 08:55 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 06:13 PM

sorry.. yes we are very new here.. didn't mean to nit pic or start any problems... just sharing our experience.

and I have never been a person that runs late... and I don't tailgate either...

Old 01-22-2018, 10:45 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,996,128 times
Quote:
sorry.. yes we are very new here.. didn't mean to nit pic or start any problems... just sharing our experience.

and I have never been a person that runs late... and I don't tailgate either...
Try not to take anything personal. We've had some people that are obnoxious trolls constantly putting down our area.

Nothing wrong with expressing your observations or experiences. It does help to inject any good ones toooooo!

We live about 45 minutes from West Palm Beach airport. The drive is not too bad. The best place we lived, as far as distance from an airport goes, is when we lived right in the heart of Philly. Society Hill to be exact. 15 minutes to the airport was a dream!

I would never fly out of Ft. Lauderdale again. What a mess down there. Orlando is not too bad but quite the drive.

I truly do love living here. It really suits me to a 'T'.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 4,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celerity52 View Post
No D R Horton homes.
I'd have to question your judgement, even your sobriety if you don't like D.R. Horton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach