Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 05:44 AM

16 posts, read 28,785 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband talk about this all of the time. We moved here six years ago and honestly I wasn’t expecting it to be quite like this. Because of financial reasons we really can’t upgrade somewhere else at the moment but I’m curious to know what happened to this place?

To me it seems to have an ideal location, right between Miami and Orlando and not far at all from Palm Beach. Yet I don’t see businesses like Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s coming this way. It doesn’t have a nice mall or even an upgraded movie theater. There’s no bridge to Hutchinson island and our ocean front was never developed. There’s no lighting, sidewalks, landscaping or good roads. There’s nothing nice along the river either.

What happened? It has so much potential but nothing came of it. Is it the local government? And why did the area become blue collar? Nearby areas have a higher income level but this place dropped like a black hole. Anyone with some knowledge of its history will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,719 times
GinaP we moved here in 2011 as well and I see PSL for exactly what it is and appears to have been awhile. Its pretty much a bedroom community , might call it a blue collar town adjacent to Stuart and Jensen beach for access to water and beaches. PSL is lower costs to those adjacent towns as well and many choose to live her because of its affordability .Any "high end places " you would need to travel to high end priced towns . We live in the SE section of PSL quick to all stores and places in Jensen and Stuart ..Love this place and it fits our needs .

Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
This city is nothing like anything you've seen before because it is a rarity in the US. A business built this city. They were trying to make a retirement community as cheaply as possible. They didn't care about the water- it would be too expensive to build bridges out there. Lighting, landscaping, good roads cost money. It was always about cost. The city really grew in the 60's- and nobody walked anymore because you had automobiles.

The city has tried hard to make improvements to the quality of life here. It has fully replaced the sewer system, lights and sidewalks are being installed along major arterials throughout the city, and the theatres are renovating.

It will take time, and this city is just a baby compared to other towns.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:58 PM

This is so interesting! I didn’t know this. I just asked my husband and he did know it! It would have been nice if he would have told me before we moved here....lol

Old 02-02-2018, 03:52 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times
Everything you mentioned is obvious in a single visit. So your either bought sight unseen or didn't care enough about those items prior to your purchase to investigate.

PSL is a nice place to settle down. If your want whole foods and trader Joe's then head south an hour and spend the extra 150k.

Otherwise PSL is what it is and isn't a bad place.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:22 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Also, keep in mind that the 2008 economic crisis was a major setback in the growth curve. When I moved here (also in 2011---seems to have been a good year to move), the main thing that surprised me was the sheer amount of vacant real estate, residential as well as commercial. Entire shopping centers sat vacant, as well as innumerable housing developments which were in various states of construction when they were abandoned. PSL over-built in the mid-2000s, and suddenly there was no demand for all those buildings. Things improved, obviously, and some of those properties are now fulfilling their potential, but I hope people don't forget what happened and go on another building binge because I doubt PSL will ever become a metropolis. Towns/cities pop up organically, not "by design".

Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 AM

It definitely makes a lot more sense now as to why the city appears as it does. At least it’s not because they don’t care about it or plan to keep it this way.

And yes I bought semi site unseen as my husband was the one that found the place. I only visited once and my visit was to just view the house and the nearby commercial area. He loved the area and I trusted in that. I didn’t explore the place until the closing was done and I had already moved. I didn’t expect to have to drive constantly to other cities for everything. The car has become almost a second house expense.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,998,333 times
High end stores cater to high end clients......My buddy built his dream house in PSL, living with his mother in law for 3 years while saving to buy the lot. He hates it. His one liner about PSL: "it is for everyone that couldn't afford a house in dade, broward or palm beach county!"

He drives a company vehicle so commuting doesn't cost him anything but 10+ hours a week = over 500 hours a year.....it is starting to get to him.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
High end stores cater to high end clients......My buddy built his dream house in PSL, living with his mother in law for 3 years while saving to buy the lot. He hates it. His one liner about PSL: "it is for everyone that couldn't afford a house in dade, broward or palm beach county!"

He drives a company vehicle so commuting doesn't cost him anything but 10+ hours a week = over 500 hours a year.....it is starting to get to him.
If he lived here for 3 years, how did he not know before he built that he hated the area?
Did he build knowing this and think he would get used to the area?

After 3 years one should know whether or not an area will suit them. We rented for 4 years and then bought our lot and built our house. Online purchasing is a beautiful thing.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:24 PM

234 posts, read 387,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
His one liner about PSL: "it is for everyone that couldn't afford a house in dade, broward or palm beach county!"
In fairness most of the people in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties can barely afford to live in their own counties. These counties are becoming too overcrowded and expensive. As a current resident of Dade (Brickell) I think your buddy did the right thing moving to the Treasure Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach