Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:29 PM

5,416 posts, read 6,051,820 times

Advertisements

I apologize if my post was misconstrued. I was not comparing the Trreasure Coast to San Francisco in a 1:! kind of way. I was trying to put in just my viewpoint since the poster is in California (not sure where) and was concerned that she may feel out of place as a relative liberal. That was my only reason for bringing up SF. As I said in my post I think there is something here for everyone, myself included, but if having a very liberal atmosphere similar to Californi is a very important factor in where to live, then there may be areas that are more suitable.

Again I did try to diffuse the possibility that my post may be construed as being against the area. I apologize if I was unsuccessful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,846 times
Default Tradition and Port st. Lucie, fl

Kaylena,
I am responding to you about Traditions and Port st. Lucie, fl. I moved here from southern california 3 years ago sight unseen. My husband was originally from boynton beach and we had to leave the san diego area because the cost of living was getting to out of control.

I have a little insight for you on good old Port st. Lucie. After 3 years I am just getting used to the way of life here. It is a culture shock. Organic food is very expensive and very limited. Wages are so low you couldn't even afford them for instance a gallon of milk (organic) $5.99. Head of broccoli (organic) 3.99lb meat that is if you eat meat (organic) $6.99lb on a sale. Cereal (organic) 5.99 box. People here are not used to the organic way of life out here and the demand for it is not high. so prices are.

Religous yes everyone I meet belongs to some church. Holistic way of life is like voddoo here.

My one and only refuge is the smoothie place I frequent. Schools with the exception of the new one in tradition are horrific.

I am moving out to tradition, because it is the only place in port st. lucie that is family friendly. The gereatric population is over whelming. As far as hospitals stay away from St. Lucie medical center. It is alarming the lack of care they give. If I ever have a medical issue I would use Lawnwood or Martin Memorial North.

Sorry for such a dim out look. I just thought I should give a fellow Californian the real 411 on port st. lucie or what they call the pissel.Think twice I wish I did.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 43,190 times
Question Port St Lucie Sawgrass area

I am joining this forum to find out more about the PSL area that we are about to move to. We are from the Northern Virginia area. It's encouraging to see such a mix of folks from all over and from right here. This forum has given me a great insight to the area and some of the issues.

Anyway, we are all excited about this move - My husband's dream has been to live in a quiet affordable south-ish FL area, as close to the coast as possible but not so close that insurance and living expenses get out of line and PSL seems ideal.
We are buying into an HOA area but the price is right and seems great.
The catch is.. We found a big, huge water treatment plant right behind this Sawgrass community - right off PSL Blvd on Darwin.
That is a little scary - there are houses everywhere, very nice, higher income homes, so one would think that there must not be .. air quality issues.. but we go by our local treatment plant on our way to work and .. well.. I don't think it would be good to buy a home that close to a place that smells anything like the one in our area!
Does anyone know about this area? Can you assure me that it's not too bad? My husband is pretty concerned.
(We recently spent 2 weeks looking around that area and never had a clue.. which is encouraging!)

thanks ya'll

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,481 times
Conditions around water treatment plants are OK, near sewage treatment plants, not so good, verify which is which BEFORE making any kind of commttment.

Also, no mention if kids are involved, if so, head to Martin County or Vero Beach for any kind of rational (and well preforming) school system. St. Lucie County schools have been under-preforming for generations, and likely will take generations to fix. Additionally, Florida is rapidly de-funding education from pre-school to college (where enrollment to state colleges is being reduced by the Legslature, despite increased college age population.)

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,134,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay210 View Post
I am joining this forum to find out more about the PSL area that we are about to move to. We are from the Northern Virginia area. It's encouraging to see such a mix of folks from all over and from right here. This forum has given me a great insight to the area and some of the issues.

Anyway, we are all excited about this move - My husband's dream has been to live in a quiet affordable south-ish FL area, as close to the coast as possible but not so close that insurance and living expenses get out of line and PSL seems ideal.
We are buying into an HOA area but the price is right and seems great.
The catch is.. We found a big, huge water treatment plant right behind this Sawgrass community - right off PSL Blvd on Darwin.
That is a little scary - there are houses everywhere, very nice, higher income homes, so one would think that there must not be .. air quality issues.. but we go by our local treatment plant on our way to work and .. well.. I don't think it would be good to buy a home that close to a place that smells anything like the one in our area!
Does anyone know about this area? Can you assure me that it's not too bad? My husband is pretty concerned.
(We recently spent 2 weeks looking around that area and never had a clue.. which is encouraging!)

thanks ya'll

Can I ask WHY your post is in the TRADITION thread in the first place?

by the way.. we DO have a WATER tank here on site in Tradition - for sprinkling of the lawns and such. Just to make THAT clear.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 20,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I live in Martin County now and work in St. Lucie. I've lived a number of other places including San Francisco and Boston. I am pretty liberal, vegetarian, etc. and I feel very much in the minority here. Obviously there is a population of socially liberal people here but having lived in San Francisco there is simply no comparison. There aren't enough to really have many places that specially cater to social liberals. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of replies rain down on me, but again I'm not saying that a liberal subculture doesn't exist here it's just a heck of a lot smaller and harder to find than otehr places I have lived. There are a lot of restaurants, for example, that don't even have a vegetarian option on the menu. Tehre are a lot more chain stores here thasn other places I've lived. I'm not saying don't come; there's somethign here for everyone. But don't expect a thriving counterculture.
I found the insight really helpful as we have been considering relocating to the area. I was kind of shocked by some of the "local" responses......kind of put me off the community a little actually. Seemed a little narrow minded...what is the problem with not eating meat?? Half our family do and the other half don't.....I would love to live in a community that accommodated both! Schools are an important aspect...if the schools aren't great, we would think twice. Unless you have lived in different parts of the country - and I mean lived, you have no idea how big a culture shock it is and how "foreign" the East and West coast are to each other. I found the info really insightful because you don't always think about this side of things when you move.....and then you get there and you realize what a different world it is. I didn't read it at all as looking for San Fran in Tradition...I think perhaps some posters are a little sensitive!!!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:57 PM

33 posts, read 133,618 times
I'm joining this thread simply because Tradition has me totally intrigued. My husband and I are originally from MA, currently live in NC, but would someday like to settle in FL. My in-laws love FL and have lived in Key West, PSL and Jensen Beach. They moved to NC when we had our daughter. I think we'd all like to be closer to the ocean and live in an affordable community that has good schools and some diversity. Tradition seems like a really nice place and I'd like to learn more. My husband is the executive chef at a continuing care retirement facility. I'm guessing he can find work easily. I am a clinical research associate working for Duke so it may be a bit harder for me. Job security is very important so that is probably where I'll start with my research. Are there any CROs (clinical research organizations) in that area? Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1197 View Post
I'm joining this thread simply because Tradition has me totally intrigued. My husband and I are originally from MA, currently live in NC, but would someday like to settle in FL. My in-laws love FL and have lived in Key West, PSL and Jensen Beach. They moved to NC when we had our daughter. I think we'd all like to be closer to the ocean and live in an affordable community that has good schools and some diversity. Tradition seems like a really nice place and I'd like to learn more. My husband is the executive chef at a continuing care retirement facility. I'm guessing he can find work easily. I am a clinical research associate working for Duke so it may be a bit harder for me. Job security is very important so that is probably where I'll start with my research. Are there any CROs (clinical research organizations) in that area? Any information would be helpful. Thanks

You should fit right in AND there is a new facility called Abingdon that is in the finishing stages right here in Tradition that would be exactly what your husband is looking for! There is also work for you here as well. Torrey Pines is here on site and I understand Scripps is hiring right now as well. More facilities on the way.

Tradition: Your kind of town - Port St. Lucie, Florida (http://www.traditionfl.com/main.php?section=Builders&pageID=Abingdon - broken link)

I also moved from NC back to Florida in the late 70's...welcome Tarheel!!
Used to live in Winston-Salem where my Dad retired from the Navy.

I live in Tradition myself, have lived in Jensen and all the way from Boca north. If you have any questions at all I'll be glad to help you! You can message me directly if you'd like

Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 PM

578 posts, read 1,768,121 times
I saw something about a new retirement community in Tradition. Is this one that already exists or are they about to break ground on a new one? I can't remember the name but they were having some kind of meeting this week.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:06 AM

The new community just being finished up is called Abgindon. It's located past Town Park if you go straight back on Tradition Parkway.

A retirement community includes single family cottages, condominium-style villas, an elegant clubhouse and fine dining. A wealth of social activities are just part of the amenities.
• Gated community, staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week
• 24-hr. emergency call system
• Variety of care options: Independent Living, Enhanced Care, Assisted Living, and Alzheimer’s Care
• Housekeeping, lawn, interior and exterior maintenance, scheduled transportation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach