Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 9,678 times

Advertisements

I just received an email stating that Red Tide has reached Indian River Shores, but when I look at the website, it's hard to determine how bad it is. We will be down next week and just want to be prepared if we need to stay off the water/beach.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 03:39 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwcoltsfan View Post
I just received an email stating that Red Tide has reached Indian River Shores, but when I look at the website, it's hard to determine how bad it is. We will be down next week and just want to be prepared if we need to stay off the water/beach.

Thanks!
Basically too early to tell. Reports are there has been some fish kill. It is soradic. Just beginning testing. Hopefully, it will be OK next week.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:31 PM

217 posts, read 371,752 times
Here's a link from today's local paper. You can check https://www.tcpalm.com as the days get closer to your departure.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...ty/1646153002/

Old 10-16-2018, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 9,678 times
Thanks for the info! I will keep checking as we get closer..

Old 10-21-2018, 01:23 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I was in Vero Beach yesterday, and Red Tide was so intense, we could hardly breath on the beach. WE got into a restaurant as fast as we could to stop the coughing.

ALL the beaches were closed, we drove past all of them.

Stay away from Vero Beach for now. Do not even try.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:26 PM

52 posts, read 61,814 times
Looks like I may cross Vero Beach of my retirement search. If this keeps up, the entire state of Florida may be off the list.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Vero Beach came in 3rd of our places to semi-retire to. Red Tide is highly unusual there and doesn't last long, so I wouldn't let that dissuade you.

We felt the 32963 (barrier island) residents were too old for us. 2 years ago, there was no grocery store on the island, and the closest grocery stores were not very close to the Northern part of the island we liked. The restaurants/bars close down pretty early there. My Dad said they are building a new mini Publix on the island now, so that problem will be solved.

We also didn't like the All Aboard Florida trains due to start ripping right through the center of town, impeding traffic flow and making noise. 32 trains a day will soon be rumbling through. That took the mainland area we liked off Indian River Blvd off the list because the trains are too close to the homes there.

They also had a huge electricty war going on where the Vero Beach City council was ripping off some 32963'ers big time on electricity bills. Now, I think Florida Power & Light bought out Vero Beach Electric so that problem may subside, but there are huge legal fees to be paid that we wanted no part of.

Red Tide wasnt even part of the picture back then. I didn't even know Vero could get it.

Our 2nd choice was Santa Rosa Beach in the Panhandle. We dodged a bullet (Hurricane Michael) with that decision.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:13 PM

52 posts, read 61,814 times
You make some good points. We had a condo in Vero on the barrier island for many years but just sold it as we are still too young to retire. We were visiting a couple times a year but not worth keeping. We have been visiting Vero every year since the early 1980's so we are somewhat familiar with the area. There has been a lot of change and new development that we are not aware of. We have never really looked for houses and have not seen all parts of Vero. We are searching now and plan on retiring within the next 4-5 years. Vero was high on our list more due to our familiarity with the area. It definitely seems that you can get more house for your money than a lot of other areas, especially further south. The search continues....

Old 11-04-2018, 05:21 AM

Any updates from Vero? Are the beaches open? Can you breathe normally? Dead fish? Any loss of Manatees, Dolphin, Turtles? Over here in Sarasota, the remnants of Wilma shifted the winds so after weeks of steady improvement, it took a turn for the worse over the past week. Nowhere near as bad as before, but its definitely a setback.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:50 AM

623 posts, read 965,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Any updates from Vero? Are the beaches open? Can you breathe normally? Dead fish? Any loss of Manatees, Dolphin, Turtles? Over here in Sarasota, the remnants of Wilma shifted the winds so after weeks of steady improvement, it took a turn for the worse over the past week. Nowhere near as bad as before, but its definitely a setback.
The beaches have been open since 10/31 lots of dead fish but that's all I've heard. Low crime too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach