Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 9,210 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Congrats on your new baby. This is an extremely long thread but very helpful I think. Being born and raised in Prospect/Crown Heights Brooklyn, I have to say there's no place like home... at least I have not found it yet.

Still looking myself. I am renting because the market skyrocketted when I got here. Now homes are much more reasonable. I live in St. Pete (pinellas county) and it is very conveinent for the most part. Kinda situated like brooklyn in relation to Manhattan and Queens. Salaries are significantly lower. I was a LPN when I left NYC and now with my RN and 4 raises my salary is equivalent to what it was in 2002 in NY.

My next stop maybe or may not be PSL. On the great schools website Melboure has a HS that is in the top ten of FL which says alot because most HS don't rank very high on the state web site so searching is important. In almost every area I visited had an "A" rated elementary school and the foundation is one of the most important.

Bally's is currently 20 miles from where I am now. There aren't any vegetable stands or fresh fish markets that compare to china town or say Flatbush you have to ask there is alot of driving..short distances even because of the heat.

Florida is very different and takes some getting used to. I don't think I want to move back but lately I've been thinking miami just because there is more access.

Schools are different here can't tell if it's the time difference from when I went to school or just the thinking but children need alot of help at home. There is a lot of home schooling here in FL. I don't think it matters where more of the what you put into your childs education time and patience that will make the difference.

This is just my opinion.

But the fact remains FL an NY are two very different places. How about a travel assignment?

Good Luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:32 AM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwick release View Post
As a pharmacist you should easily be able to afford beachside in Melbourne Beach/Indian Harbour Beach/Satellite Beach. Stole a city school ranking off of another post (see below) and Brevard county has 6 of the top 20 cities as far as schools go. I would go with Indian Harbour beach since your kids would get Ocean Breeze elementary (#2 in the state) and then they would go to Satellite Beach high school (#9 high school in the state). We have been here 2 months now and love it.

schooldigger

Thanks for posting School Digger link. I like it!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:00 AM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
Hi F-15, Florida Sandy, Aliza and Florida or Bust,,,,

Thank You to ALL of You.

Birth of a Baby is nothin' less than a Miracle.. well the Miracle of Life as it is said.

Lil Rubin was born 7 lbs 15 oz and 20.5" and is 3 weeks old tomorrow.

I look at him still with utter amazement (this is our 1st child and named after my Father)

We consider ourselves so so soooo very lucky...

Mom and Baby are well...

Delivery was easy,,, Mom pushed for 1/2 hr and out he came... whew.. a load off our minds as thoughts race through your head about actual delivery.

He sleeps and eats and only cries when hungry and breast feed totally.

I diaper him and burp him as Mom is done feeding and gets some rest.
But starting this week.. I have to get workin' on finishing the rest of the 5-10% still do do here... kitchen, bathrooms etc.

Back searching the postings for Treasure Coast and hope to plan a trip there myself,, a fact finding trip. Will set up job interviews as well... (I am a pharmacist) and drive all around looking at downtowns, residentials, beach sides, shopping, real estate brokers etc.

I cannot wait !!

Thanks again everyone for your congrats and well wishes.

Michael

Congratulations on your new born!

One question; Shouldn't you get the job first then look for a house/neighborhood?

Old 12-06-2008, 07:29 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,632 times
Hi Everyone,

Been out of the loop for a bit, sorry.

Lil Rubin is 7 weeks old.. and have been busy busy busy...
Still renovating the house and also taking care of him as my wife can get some rest.

And a new development... South Carolina.

My wife is skiddish of the hurricaines and flooding.. but would go along with FLA as I wanted to move there for the last 20 years... but had to stay here to look after the Folks

But South Carolina,, specifically Charleston popped into our heads... and I am deeply researching that city.data now.

In answer to 2goldens, I have checked out the job market first and there is employment so I can concentrate on neighbrhoods etc... but thanks for mentioning.. cause hey ya never know.. I might have skipped that part

Anyway back to South Carolina....

Honestly I feel FLA has a lot of towns... Melbourne, Vero, Sebastian, PSL, Stuart etc that I was interested in... but it seems no state pride....
Meaning as in S.C and Charleston.. it seems more state pride and feeling. I dunno, that is just how it comes across what I ead.

Plus the advantage of a city,, a downtown (Charleston) means a bunch.

Yes the winters are milder... aw schucks.... I wanted to wear shorts and t-shirts all year long (truth).

Hey quick comment,,,, up here in Brooklyn (NYC) today is Dec 6th and it is now SNOWING !!!
Pretty early.. but still have time to dig out the snow shovel... hey I do not mind.. it is the only exercise I get winter time,, other than changing diapers

Anyway... Charleston popped up and has my attention...
Looking into it more and more and trying to figure out a drive down there to 'feel' it and investigate it.. as we did Pinellas Cty.
But this trip will be just lil ol me,,,, wife and baby will do a following family trip as he gets a few months older when the pediatrician says it is ok for him to travel.

Anyway,,, as I said.. hey ya never know...

Might wind up in FLA..

I do like the homes better in FLA.. though my wife loves the architecture in Charleston.

So we are keeping our options open,,, still for like Melbourne, Vero, Sebastian and point south... and Charleston.

We shall see

Michael

Old 12-08-2008, 06:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Quote:

Honestly I feel FLA has a lot of towns... Melbourne, Vero, Sebastian, PSL, Stuart etc that I was interested in... but it seems no state pride....
Meaning as in S.C and Charleston.. it seems more state pride and feeling. I dunno, that is just how it comes across what I ead.
There's plenty of state pride here in Florida but not on this board!! I often wonder who the people are who post to this board and why they're so angry and ready to trash their state. I felt this same thing back in 2004 when I was researching Vero Beach from the D.C. area.

I agree with you that being near a big city is a large draw but one thing that turned me off about South Carolina is that you will always be a northerner, an outsider there. Florida is a melting pot and you will fit right in. We made several trips to Charleston, a beautiful city btw, but found enough 'Yankee Go Home' type souvenirs and sentiment that we got turned off by the 'southern charm'. Florida is for all people. The Carolinas are for southerners.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:40 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
There's plenty of state pride here in Florida but not on this board!! I often wonder who the people are who post to this board and why they're so angry and ready to trash their state. I felt this same thing back in 2004 when I was researching Vero Beach from the D.C. area.

I agree with you that being near a big city is a large draw but one thing that turned me off about South Carolina is that you will always be a northerner, an outsider there. Florida is a melting pot and you will fit right in. We made several trips to Charleston, a beautiful city btw, but found enough 'Yankee Go Home' type souvenirs and sentiment that we got turned off by the 'southern charm'. Florida is for all people. The Carolinas are for southerners.

We are wanting to move to Florida once we sale our home here in Delaware Ohio. Not sure on the area either. We really like Brevard and IRC. What made you move to Vero, if I may ask? Its one of the areas on our minds.
We to thought of the Carolina's. It just didn't feel like home. We even looked into Valdosta GA. Now thats southern

Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Default HiYa

*** you are right about that VB...
on this board.. there is so much trashing to FL and trashing the towns as well.. it does turn me off.. it really seems like there is no unity, state pride to FLA, well on this board

I agree with you that being near a big city is a large draw but one thing that turned me off about South Carolina is that you will always be a northerner, an outsider there. Florida is a melting pot and you will fit right in. We made several trips to Charleston, a beautiful city btw, but found enough 'Yankee Go Home' type souvenirs and sentiment that we got
turned off by the 'southern charm'. Florida is for all people. The Carolinas are for southerners.[/quote]

*** on this point VB.... Charleston and SC are being occupied more and more by 'Yankess'... it is a common place to live next to people from NJ, NY, OH, PA etc.
Not what I was looking for....
I have been all over the South.. actually been to 44 of the 50 states... or as Obama says.. 57 states
And people were warm and friendly.
And that 'Yankee Go Home' souvenirs.. are probably all bought up by 'Northerns' who just moved down there yesterday

I have seen this, when I moved to NJ. People would point their finger at you,,,, saying you came from NY... you New Yorker etc etc.
Turned out they moved to NJ a week before you did

Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Default Valdosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
We are wanting to move to Florida once we sale our home here in Delaware Ohio. Not sure on the area either. We really like Brevard and IRC. What made you move to Vero, if I may ask? Its one of the areas on our minds.
We to thought of the Carolina's. It just didn't feel like home. We even looked into Valdosta GA. Now thats southern

speaking of Valdosta... a friend of mine works in Valdosta but lives in FL...
hey I used to live in NJ and work in NYC.. happens all over the place

Old 12-10-2008, 08:14 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times
Quote:
speaking of Valdosta... a friend of mine works in Valdosta but lives in FL...
hey I used to live in NJ and work in NYC.. happens all over the place

The town we looked at was about 20 minutes from Valdosta. Still in GA. But so far away from the main town. Couldn't even find a grocery store.
It was a housing development that went bankrupt about a year ago. Sold all the land by auction. It was a nice area, but so far away from the main town. Once you left the development, it was a bit rundown.

My theory, if I work in FL I want to live there too. One of these days I also have noticed a bunch of people "trashing" their state and town.
I can honestly say, we love Delaware Ohio. Its just time for a move. A warmer move

good luck with your move. let us know what are you decide on.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 AM

I also have noticed a bunch of people "trashing" their state and town.
I can honestly say, we love Delaware Ohio. Its just time for a move. A warmer move

good luck with your move. let us know what are you decide on.

[/quote]

*** Hey I love Brooklyn.
I was born and brought up there... proud of it and Brooklyn will always be a part of me...
But as you said.... 'just time for a move'

Want warmer weather... less hectic... cleaner...
NYC ain't got nuttin' on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach