U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-15-2008, 01:14 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
339 posts, read 846,057 times
Pools are nice....but as a new parent I wouldn't want one for the worry of the little one once they get mobile. Like you said the truth is they don't usually get used much after the first year or so. Theres the up keep and you really can't use them all year unless you have a pool heater(winter) which is quite expensive to run. You could also wait until the kid/s are older and get one. Plus if Sebastian is the area you choose they have built a very nice community pool. (North County Pool).

I would also suggest living East of 95 myself...the further inland you go it gets hotter especially during the summer.

Yeah it would be hard to find 1/2 acre in the price range your in. You could probably find a Double lot fairly cheap and build or there alot of Double lot houses in Sebastian (Sebastian Highlands) and I'm sure there are some in Vero Beach as well but might pay alittle more there for the land and property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-15-2008, 07:28 AM

741 posts, read 987,599 times
Default Thanks Bunky

Yes safety of ones children is of utmost importance..
One second slip and a lil one can get in..
Community pool is fine and friendly
Cost is another issue.. but wayyyy second.
Constant electric bill from the filter and as you said,.,, the heater.
We had a heater but never ever used it... we had about 30,000 gallons and gee whiz would take hours and hours and hours,,,,
Hey if too cold... don't swim

OK.. I guess lean away from even 1/2 acre... but it also depends where we look. Sebastian sounds a bit too slow, retirement etc. from what we read here.
Vero Beach is an idea.
Concentrating more around Melbourne, Viera and maybe the barrier islands, Satellite etc. But stay off of the beach areas and cost is down as well as insurance etc.
But as you recommend and thanks... east of 95, not west

Thanks Bunky.

Cannot wait to get down there June/July to drive all around and check it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
Pools are nice....but as a new parent I wouldn't want one for the worry of the little one once they get mobile. Like you said the truth is they don't usually get used much after the first year or so. Theres the up keep and you really can't use them all year unless you have a pool heater(winter) which is quite expensive to run. You could also wait until the kid/s are older and get one. Plus if Sebastian is the area you choose they have built a very nice community pool. (North County Pool).

I would also suggest living East of 95 myself...the further inland you go it gets hotter especially during the summer.

Yeah it would be hard to find 1/2 acre in the price range your in. You could probably find a Double lot fairly cheap and build or there alot of Double lot houses in Sebastian (Sebastian Highlands) and I'm sure there are some in Vero Beach as well but might pay alittle more there for the land and property.

Unread 05-16-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,475 times
I'd suggest looking the the Lake Washington section of Melbourne. They do have homes within your price range for 4 bedrooms and an acre. The schools are good and while off the beaten path it isn't far from shopping. The beaches are a bit furter away but still not bad.

I think Vierra and Suntree are overrated. Beachside is great but the downside is insurance, having to find a place and pay for hotels off beachside in the case of a hurricane. It's also kind of scary not knowing if you'll have a house to come home to after a hurricane. It's still really a tough choice because over there because it's close to the beach, shopping, and REALLY great schools.

Go down, drive around, and I think it'll be pretty easy to see what's for you.

Unread 05-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Lauren for the time and feedback,,,

It is very much appreciated Thanks !

Yes having the beaches a bit further,,, is not a problem.
Some people talk like they are there each day and while some are,, most are not.. so a few minutes drive, bike ride away would be fine for us. Simply because of the hurricane, flood problems.. and much higher insurance.

East of 95 is fine,,, in some places maybe west of 95 might work to get more land.

I can understand Viera, Suntree being overrated... might be
I know in the Melbourne vicinity there are many places to look and will do in July,,, plus check out the heat and humidity in July,,,

Thanks Lauren !!

Keep 'em comin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren99 View Post
I'd suggest looking the the Lake Washington section of Melbourne. They do have homes within your price range for 4 bedrooms and an acre. The schools are good and while off the beaten path it isn't far from shopping. The beaches are a bit furter away but still not bad.

I think Vierra and Suntree are overrated. Beachside is great but the downside is insurance, having to find a place and pay for hotels off beachside in the case of a hurricane. It's also kind of scary not knowing if you'll have a house to come home to after a hurricane. It's still really a tough choice because over there because it's close to the beach, shopping, and REALLY great schools.

Go down, drive around, and I think it'll be pretty easy to see what's for you.

Unread 05-17-2008, 07:17 AM

700 posts, read 1,852,914 times
Viera is not overrated,but check it out for yourself and make up your own mind based on your needs and wants.

Unread 05-17-2008, 07:23 AM

700 posts, read 1,852,914 times
lauren99.....Is Lake Washington new or existing,older,outdated homes?

Unread 05-17-2008, 07:41 AM

2,591 posts, read 2,092,655 times
Here's the local area news... floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY | Brevard news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Brevard, FL

Unread 05-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Gotz ta check it out personally of course

100% yes.. I have to come down and check it all out.
Each and every town, city, nook and cranny.
We did it in Pinellas Cty back in Oct for 12 days and will do for Brevard and south of Brevard, Vero Beach as well.

Gotta be in it to win it...

The city-data posts are a great start and I deeply appreciate all the feedback and comments from you all,,, sincerely thank you and keep 'em comin' please

I am now as well... looking into St Augustine.
I di so before and steared away.. but now back to looking.
But 99.9% concentrating on Brevard

Unread 05-19-2008, 02:54 AM

11 posts, read 31,010 times
Have you thought about Ocala, Florida? We are centrally located and we are within
1 hour of nice beaches and Disney depending on where you live in Ocala. I have lived here for 35 years and we love it. The homes are priced very reasonable here especially
now, there are some great deals on homes. I am a Realtor and if you have any more questions feel free to contact me. We have lots of trees( not just palms) rolling hills and horse farms. Marion county is beautiful!

Unread 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
339 posts, read 846,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Anthony View Post
Have you thought about Ocala, Florida? We are centrally located and we are within
1 hour of nice beaches and Disney depending on where you live in Ocala. I have lived here for 35 years and we love it. The homes are priced very reasonable here especially
now, there are some great deals on homes. I am a Realtor and if you have any more questions feel free to contact me. We have lots of trees( not just palms) rolling hills and horse farms. Marion county is beautiful!

I think moving from New York City to Ocala (all though a pretty place, very rural) would be total Culture shock....my opinion.

Michael certainly with your profession and your wife's profession Melbourne would also be a great place to check out.....I would live there as well. I hope you do realize that almost every place that you are looking at is going to be alot slower than what you might be use to in New York. Which in my opinion is a good thing. At least I found it to be a good thing for me being from the Washington DC area and even its a little slower than New York for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach