Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 17,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ximenagomez View Post
Well... I'm planing to move over there... beautiful house at very good prices... I just never knew about the issues with the nuclear plants... btu it's somehtign that is going to make me think now... go on google and o your own research.... a lot of kids with brain cancer, women with breast cancer.... I don't know.... You may say it has nothign to do with the nuclear power plants.... but.... what If it does? is it worth it to take the risk? I'm supposse to sign my contrcat next week.. and move from Miami to Port S. Lucie... but I have fefinetely a lot of doubts now....
Did you move yet? I'd like to learn more about Hutchinson Island, and will be moving to St. Lucie/Fort P. area within 30 days. I really like the Island, but home prices don't seem all that reasonable for an old 3/2 fixer-upper... even with the market the way it is. We'll see, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:47 PM

132 posts, read 126,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Is it a wise idea to live so close to a nuclear power plant facility? Are the beaches safe to swim? FPL's reactors on Hutchinson Island are right on the beach.
================================================== =======

Well...Maybe it was more than 10 years ago, FPL was having some labor relations problems....

""SOMEONE"" put """" GLUE""" in all the safety switches....
That's right...glue......22 people were fired...outright...

>>>"""SLEEP WELL TONITE..knowing you life can come unglued!!!!! <<<<

p.s. And then every once in awhile, they would let out a plume of radioactive gas...
It was quite nice of them to tell you ""ONLY"" afterward, that the winds were in the other direction...

Jolly good blooks they were!!!

Last edited by Crazy G; 01-08-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: addendum

Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Great Britain relies HEAVILY on nuclear power.

Somehow, they seem to be just fine. It aint frickin Soviet era Chernobyl.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:45 PM

20 posts, read 88,055 times
No.. we got scared... The nuclear plant thing..... mmm.... no.. I didnt want to take the risk.... Prices may not be so good.. but compared with Miami... they are awesome.. I think.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximenagomez View Post
No.. we got scared... The nuclear plant thing..... mmm.... no.. I didnt want to take the risk.... Prices may not be so good.. but compared with Miami... they are awesome.. I think.
When I first moved to PSL in 1990 my aunt called to tell me there was a nuclear power plant within 10 miles of us and we needed to move immediately.
I told her if there was a major problem we would be the lucky ones. If you're within 50 miles of it you'll be fried and dead. She was 1500 miles away so she would suffer with warts and lesions and the same fate.
Let's get real people, we want our A/C and other electrical things.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 13,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
When I first moved to PSL in 1990 my aunt called to tell me there was a nuclear power plant within 10 miles of us and we needed to move immediately.
I told her if there was a major problem we would be the lucky ones. If you're within 50 miles of it you'll be fried and dead. She was 1500 miles away so she would suffer with warts and lesions and the same fate.
Let's get real people, we want our A/C and other electrical things.
Agreed, if you made a list of 1000 top risks in life, the nuke plant is far down it. It always amazes me in a country where real risks like heart disease, smoking, no exercise, and being overweight are rampant, people worry about one in a million things like a nuclear accident!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:58 PM

374 posts, read 1,628,879 times
I live around 10 miles from the Power plant and none of my family or pets glow in the dark yet... Like Nanwalt says "we want our A/C and other electrical things" The power plant helps keep our electric bills down. I guess we could have community Turbines. FPL Energy encounter was a very informative tour.(at the power plant) They showed all of the steps taken to protect the public and give us power. Knowledge is Power!!

Old 02-24-2008, 01:45 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBob View Post
Agreed, if you made a list of 1000 top risks in life, the nuke plant is far down it. It always amazes me in a country where real risks like heart disease, smoking, no exercise, and being overweight are rampant, people worry about one in a million things like a nuclear accident!
SO TRUE, We could be like the 85 yr. old that told his DR. he was going to start to live dangerously,,,,,EAT CHEESE AND DRIVE FAST!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 61,515 times
I worked at FPL St. Lucie in the land usage division. I can tell you that in my time there were no radiological incidents at the plant at all. Cancer-wise, I'm more concerned about the nuke bombs I lived on as a kid while residing on a AFB SAC base. Anyone new to the area, or concerned about nuke power, or just really interested in a cool educational experience for the kids, should head over to the power plant and check out the Energy Encounter.

And for everyone worried about Nuke power, you should all breathe a sigh of relief at the 4 410' generating windmills FPL is proposing to put on the beach. They shouldn't be too aesthetically intrusive...

Old 03-27-2008, 05:48 AM

6 posts, read 36,380 times
Exclamation I wouldn't swim in that water....

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Is it a wise idea to live so close to a nuclear power plant facility? Are the beaches safe to swim? FPL's reactors on Hutchinson Island are right on the beach.

I live in Port St. Lucie and I would not swim in the water.. There has been an increase in childhood cancers and Breast cancers and stomach, kidney, etc....
In St. Lucie County since the Nuclear Plant started in 79...They have found that the Nuclear Power Plant is a significant cause of their cancers.. The Nuclear Power Plant emits strontium 90 radiation out...It is a byproduct of nuclear fission--and it has to be released out---The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) States that strontium 90 radiation only comes from Nuclear Power Plants and causes soft tissue , bone, and leukemia cancers...
As a society we are very ignorant to what is really going on around us, otherwise how would any of us allow radiation to be emitted out of these Power Plants...95% of our toxic waste comes from Nuclear Power Plants and it takes supposedly 450 years for it to become safe--so where do you think they store this toxic waste?? They say its clean energy but its because you can't see , smell or feel radiation....

Albert Einstein 1947
Through the release of atomic energy
our generation has brought into the world
the most revolutionary force since the
Prehistoric discovery of fire. This basic power
of the universe Cannot be fitted into the outmoded concept
of narrow nationalism. For there is no secret and there is no defense,
there is no possibility of control except through the aroused understanding
and insistence of the peoples of the world...

WE scientists recognize our inescapable responsibility to
Carry to our fellow citizens an understanding of the simple facts
of atomic energy and its implications for society. In this lies our only security and our only hope...

We believe that an Informed citizenry will act for
Life and not Death!!

Yet Radiation is spewed from these Nuclear Power Plants..and causing
cancer....How does the NRC ( Nuclear Regulatory Commission) know what levels of strontium 90 are safe--I ask you--is any level of radiation safe--no I think not...how is it possible that they are allowed to do this ---because we allow it by being ignorant....No level of radiation is safe..
How many lives will it take for us to stand up and stop this atrocity from happening... I have been to too many children's funerals here in St.Lucie County.. It is devastating.. All of St. Lucie County is about 15 miles from the Plant...

The CDC ( Center for Disease Control) investigated here in 95-97.
They tested for something like 565-655 chemicals and found that the chemicals were not to blame.. BUT they never tested for Strontium 90
radiation, I ask you WHY?? Seems to me if there is a cancer cluster which there is and chemicals aren't to blame wouldn't you want to know what was to blame...Why not test for Strontium 90 as the culprit---because FPL is too big to go up against??? Or maybe they know that's the cause..
How many Children, Women---Human Beings have to lose there life for a profit!!!! Research this you will see that all of this is true--spread the word....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach