Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkav View Post
Recently moved to Vero and when I explained to people where I lived they said "you live in South Vero Beach" so maybe thats what people mean. I live South of Oslo off of US1. Love it here.
They mean you live in a CDP not the CITY of Vero Beach (the county seat for Indian River County).

Vero Beach South, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The area is called Sebastian-Vero Beach MSA and the City of Vero beach is only a small part of the MSA.

Within the MSA are three cities and some CDPs, Unincorporated communities or "towns" that include Gifford, Vero Beach South, Oslo, West Vero Corridor, Florida Ridge, Orchid, Indian River Shores etc.

The three incorporated cities in the MSA are Fellsmere, Sebastian, and Vero Beach.

Your public services come from Indian River County, NOT "Vero Beach" meaning the City of Vero Beach. Which is a small area on the mainland and the barrier island.

Indian River County, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your MAIL may say Vero Beach, but it's not, really LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deana View Post
South Vero Beach is everything south of 8th st.
More like 12th, but not really even. Because parts extend up past 20th and the SOUTH boundary is more like 9th but parts stop at 4th. Where Florida Ridge starts. So it's not EVERYTHING south of 8th.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.6...hl=en&t=m&z=12

Old 07-06-2014, 09:34 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,049 times
What does "MSA" stand for ?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Metropolitan Stastical Area

Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Yeah, it's kinda like the federal and state government statistical groupings for census, funding etc and how each area in different states have defined boundaries.

Like my condo is actually Florida Ridge (not Vero Beach proper - but I'm in the Vero Beach Statistical Area).

Florida statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Statistical area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In MY opinion, this is the crux of a political problem because our representation is getting centralized to the dense populations of the "cities" instead of by COUNTY or other boundaries.

People in high density populations are getting weighted more than "suburban" or rural areas attracting more transient populations like renters who have different objectives. The CURRENT political movement is for US to SUBSIDIZE contiguous CITIES. WHAT???

If our state legislature were based on our COUNTIES with equal representation (like the federal congress is set up)....we'd have more equal say in what happens.

LIKE THE PROPOSED RAIL PROJECT!

Miami has about 13 Representatives and ALL OF INDIAN RIVER COUNTY HAS 1. !!!!!!

It would also facilitate and reward more property ownership, younger people being able to buy property which leads to a more stable community. Not the FAKE home ownership like before, but real property priced right instead of incentivizing just more high priced growth to get the IMPACT FEES for the government.

I'm a big fan of the Steve Meyer school of economics. Saturday mornings - I think he moved to 10 or 11 AM recently. 1490 AM WTTB Listen to The Steve Meyer Show on News Radio 1490 in Vero Beach, FL

Old 07-19-2014, 03:03 AM

20 posts, read 42,030 times
I've noticed a few differences...
1. My weather app on my smart phone tells me I'm in Vero Beach South when I'm in Citrus Springs, but just Vero Beach when I'm downtown.
2. If I call Vero Beach Police to report anything in the outer limits of Vero, I get referred to the Indian River County Sheriff.
3. Utility bills are significantly higher in Vero vs Vero South.
4. We are governed in VBS by Vero Beach.
5. My mailing address is Vero Beach, not Vero Beach South.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero Gal View Post
I've noticed a few differences...
1. My weather app on my smart phone tells me I'm in Vero Beach South when I'm in Citrus Springs, but just Vero Beach when I'm downtown.
2. If I call Vero Beach Police to report anything in the outer limits of Vero, I get referred to the Indian River County Sheriff.
3. Utility bills are significantly higher in Vero vs Vero South.
4. We are governed in VBS by Vero Beach.
5. My mailing address is Vero Beach, not Vero Beach South.

NO, if you were "governed" by City of Vero Beach, then your police dept would be City of Vero Beach.

But you are not; you're in the unincorporated/CDP either Vero Beach South or Oslo.

They are not going to send cops to an area where those taxpayers don't pay for the service. It's Indian River County Sherrifs that handle your area. Because you are governed by Indian River County not City of Vero Beach. City of Vero Beach does not care what you do unless you're in their city limits.

When you get your property tax bill it's going to be Indian River County not Vero Beach.

Here is the map of City of Vero Beach (and Vero Beach South)...; see how FAR you are outside of it?

You are on the BORDER of Vero Beach South and if your community falls inside these coordinates on this information (IF IT"S CURRENT), then it's your CDP. Or it may be Oslo, I dont' know.

You can see your subdivision is outside the red line of demarcation for Vero Beach South.

Vero Beach South, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vero Beach South, FL :: Boundary Map and Geodata for the CDP of Vero Beach South in Florida, U.S.A. :: MapTechnica

https://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Your community website has IN VERY BEACH on it but they're shady because it is NOT in Vero Beach.

It's in the Vero Beach - Sebastian Metropolitan Service Area (MSA) in Indian River County in which Vero Beach is the county seat.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 AM

66 posts, read 115,884 times
I'm sure it's part marketing by the builders. Most people have heard of Vero Beach for one reason or another, and it has a good reputation, so the builders will use Vero Beach as opposed to Gifford, Oslo, Florida Ridge, Winter Beach etc. Since that's the address for mail they can do it. Does it really matter to most people. I'm sure there are some people that live within the city limits that are quick to tell the rest that they don't "really" live in Vero Beach, people are funny like that.

We had a "reverse" issue when we built our house here in NY. The builder advertised it as the town that it is legally deeded to but the post office that serves the area is different so our postal address denotes the less desirable town even though our deed and school system is the more desirable resulting in the higher taxes. When there is a house in our neighborhood for sale some people won't look at it because of the mailing address regardless of the deed or school district.

So with all that being said, it there any area that I really shouldn't look in? I understand about the "pockets" here and there. I don't know if the realtor plans to steer me once I'm there or will just let me look at everything on my list. I think I have already made her head spin a bit with my zillion questions and my NY mentality of trying to have all the answers before I even get there, lol.

My list is quite long and I'm wondering how long it will take me to get a good look at Vero and Sebastian, is six days going to be enough to get a handle on it? I don't plan on buying anything "on the spot" and will probably come home and go over all my pictures and paperwork and come back for another look before actually buying. I would also like to be able to enjoy the beach and family too while I'm there but I guess looking for the right house/area comes first.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxermamaD View Post
I'm sure it's part marketing by the builders. Most people have heard of Vero Beach for one reason or another, and it has a good reputation, so the builders will use Vero Beach as opposed to Gifford, Oslo, Florida Ridge, Winter Beach etc. Since that's the address for mail they can do it. Does it really matter to most people. I'm sure there are some people that live within the city limits that are quick to tell the rest that they don't "really" live in Vero Beach, people are funny like that.

We had a "reverse" issue when we built our house here in NY. The builder advertised it as the town that it is legally deeded to but the post office that serves the area is different so our postal address denotes the less desirable town even though our deed and school system is the more desirable resulting in the higher taxes. When there is a house in our neighborhood for sale some people won't look at it because of the mailing address regardless of the deed or school district.

So with all that being said, it there any area that I really shouldn't look in? I understand about the "pockets" here and there. I don't know if the realtor plans to steer me once I'm there or will just let me look at everything on my list. I think I have already made her head spin a bit with my zillion questions and my NY mentality of trying to have all the answers before I even get there, lol.

My list is quite long and I'm wondering how long it will take me to get a good look at Vero and Sebastian, is six days going to be enough to get a handle on it? I don't plan on buying anything "on the spot" and will probably come home and go over all my pictures and paperwork and come back for another look before actually buying. I would also like to be able to enjoy the beach and family too while I'm there but I guess looking for the right house/area comes first.
Six days is plenty for Vero and Sebastian. You'll still have time for the beach and Family. Florida is a big state though. I think you may want to make several trips to different areas before you make a decision.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxermamaD View Post

Well someone asked so it was answered. Um, no, nobody who lives in Vero Beach is going to say they don't. Why would that be?

It makes a major difference with utilities and probably even homeowners. Makes a difference in business taxes because they are different. Makes a difference in your COMMUNITY because planning, development, land use, zoning, the public hearings, efforts to get new businesses starting or opening, and voting for changes and permits etc are not held by City of Vero Beach politicians for say, GIFFORD. or vice versa. But I realize that most of the citizens in the USA are completely uninvolved in their government.

And who your police dept is - don't keep calling Vero Beach Police when you should be calling Indian River County sherrifs. And it makes a BIG difference when you look at the CRIME RATE statistics like the sex offender numbers on this site that are being calculated wrong and make CVB look like sex offender central.

It also makes a difference when you are examining density.

Vero Beach proper and contiguous is getting more dense. In fact, I heard that the receipts are up 20% for summer stays in temporary residences. I see that to be very true being in my car all day. The traffic is UNBELIEVABLE compared to 2009. That's a good thing, not complaining. Thank God they are building a Mcdonalds and just build a new gas station mini mart in the Gifford/No Vero end at 45th and 53rd at Publix because being in my car all day long I need somewhere to run in, or get gas AND coffee etc. LOL. But that means the density is changing. Yet on Sunday mornings I can catch every single LIGHT on Indian River Blvd and there are no cars. It's annoying.

We used to have flashing yellow lights around the mall all summer here at night! LOL.

It also makes a difference when someone is looking for a home and sees GIFFORD and thinks it's going to be in a "bad area" but it's no different than other places in Vero Beach proper and often MUCH NICER ie Grand Harbor compared to other HOAs on the Intracoastal.

Also makes a difference to ME when people contact me for service and say they live in Vero Beach but it's actually Winter Beach and get mad when I say I can't go that far North LOL.

You will make your decision based on the VIBE you get here. There's a major difference between where I live - Florida Ridge below Oslo compared to North Vero area, say, Waterway Village or anywhere along 66th (which is being expanded) compared to Rt 1.

You'll either LIKE the rural feel of one over the density and convenience of shopping or you won't care and will have your OWN criteria.

Or you'll find a house you love but it's not where you love or vice versa.

This is why I ALWAYS say relocators should RENT for a year to get their bearings. Unless you know for SURE what you want.

And even THEN you may change your mind.

I rented a house behind the mall in Woodfield 55+ HOA. I was SHOCKED to find that the pool was filled with KIDS every day all the time. As it turns out the docs allow a very generous visiting children's policy.

I bought somewhere that we don't have THAT. Even though I rarely use the pool LOL.

Have fun househunting!!

I think it'll take you a few trips. Not just one six day trip unless you get very lucky. There's ALOT TO SEE and I'd suggest you methodically drive up and down all the grid to see it all.

There are homes in the HEART of Vero that you'd never expect even mini farms, farmettes etc and every time I see them I'm like...OMG that's so cute! LOL

I would say most of my relocators from up North end up in HOAs like Legend Lakes. That particular one has no pool or clubhouse, just enough of an HOA to keep the common areas nice. There are a TON of "newish" developments like that. It's close enough to basic shopping without being mobbed HOWEVER they just decided to WIDEN OSLO and build an I95 exit so everyone who is on or near Oslo is about to have a major life change.

Another reason why you need to take your time. Things change or are in the works. Another reason why CITY OF VERO BEACH is a pretty guaranteed deal since it's entirely built. The only thing that may change is they make it a better destination because there's not much going on in the city proper mainland side....for most out of state people's "opinon" of what they look for in a small city.

Of course the barrier island is another story entirely.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-21-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach