U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2008, 07:48 PM

38 posts, read 65,040 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously thinking about moving to Florida. I am black and he is white. We are looking to move our family to a city where we will not experience much racism if not any at all. We are looking to live somewhere safe. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 AM

14,937 posts, read 6,989,934 times
Hello,

I would suggest that you read the thread history rather than all the members repeat themselves.

I wish you luck in your move.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 PM

I looked at other post and maybe I missed what I am looking for. I am looking to live somewhere like I live now. Where people of different races socialize....outside of work. I do not want to live where one race lives on one side of town etc. I love to be among different races. That is what I am looking for when I move to Florida.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 PM

11 posts, read 17,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonee273 View Post
I looked at other post and maybe I missed what I am looking for. I am looking to live somewhere like I live now. Where people of different races socialize....outside of work. I do not want to live where one race lives on one side of town etc. I love to be among different races. That is what I am looking for when I move to Florida.

Don't ya love when people are so helpful. Anyways, I live in Vero Beach and I believe you would find what you want here. I'm white & I my second set of parents (aka neighbors across the street,lol) are a mixed couple, the wife is white & the husband is black. I think mixed couples are more common now a days. Shouldn't find any issues in Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, Sebastian, or Port St Lucie, which are neighboring cities. Hope that helps.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 PM

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate your time. I was beginning to think Florida wasn't the best place for me and my family. Heck I couldn't even get a reply that was helpful until I got yours. Thanks again.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 AM

79 posts, read 196,289 times
I moved here back in August.. I am white and my fiance is Ecuadorian.. I live in Palm City, which I love! Palm City, Stuart area is nice.. Are you looking to buy a house or rent an apartment?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:05 PM

First of all I would like to thank you for your reply. We are looking to rent first. In these cities that you speak of, does one race live on one side of town and the other race on another? Or does everyone live together? Do kids of different races play together (black, white, latino)? I have been on cruises and left from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. I didn't think South Florida had so much racism as I have found out from reading the forums. I just don't want to move down there and regret it. I worry most about my kids.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:39 PM

1,194 posts, read 2,473,729 times
The first thing I noticed in St Lucie is that all the children regardless of color are seen playing with each other Either fishing, boating, or just paling around...I find it to be a great place to live and reitre....Housing, however, is on the downturn as in most US cities.

We bought our home 3 years ago for $350,000 and now it is worth around $275,000. I think you will find the housing market good for buyers but not for sellers...Not alot to do here either but the County does provide a good forum for kids..The County does promote kids who are friendly, God fearing, kind and considerate...As far as the Police are concerned we have if not the most observant force anywhere ...Crime is low but still it will be everywhere..We use to Live in the Philly area and it seems we are on vacation from crime in St Lucie......

Renting is OK but we prefer our own home from the start so we looked into several citieis including Atlanta, Phoenix, Ft Lauderdale (we had a home there), Palm City and the west coast of Florida....We love St Lucie...

Last edited by Synergy1; 12-19-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: change wording to proper English

Old 12-22-2008, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonee273 View Post
My husband and I are seriously thinking about moving to Florida. I am black and he is white. We are looking to move our family to a city where we will not experience much racism if not any at all. We are looking to live somewhere safe. Any suggestions?

Have any sisters?

I live in St. lucie county and have only dated black women since '94. Not sure why that worked out that way. But that's how I like it. 10 years ago it was worse than now. There is as much racisim among black people (here) towards interracial relationships as there is among whites. Where do you live now? Maybe when I'm up north I can hang there.

I see a lot of interracial relationships in Pa when I'm up there. But I've not had any luck making it work long term. To me, on the whole, people are friendlier here. But YMMV.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweatherfriend View Post
Have any sisters?

I live in St. lucie county and have only dated black women since '94. Not sure why that worked out that way. But that's how I like it. 10 years ago it was worse than now. There is as much racisim among black people (here) towards interracial relationships as there is among whites. Where do you live now? Maybe when I'm up north I can hang there.

I see a lot of interracial relationships in Pa when I'm up there. But I've not had any luck making it work long term. To me, on the whole, people are friendlier here. But YMMV.

I'm in Chicago. Well, the suburbs. There are plenty of interracial relationships where I am at.

My hubby and I are going to take the time to visit different areas the next time we are in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach