Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 PM

265 posts, read 904,344 times

Advertisements

I was going to eidt my post, but just found out you can't do that on this board. So, I apologize for calling Mr. Coward a name.

However, inflated property taxes and too many building permits (encouraged and allowed by the County Manager and County Commission) helped to get St. Lucie County into this foreclosure situation. People were loosing thier homes to foreclosure over 2 years ago becuase they could not pay the EXHORBINANT property taxes - this is not a new problem. I simply feel that for a county employee in a high powered position to go on camera and speeak that way about the community was wrong in every way. And BTW - he's retired now. Thanks for nothin'

There, was that worded a bit nicer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,499 times
The City Manager makes good money and about 1 1/2 years ago his salary was almost doubled to $150,000 per year. He has a supportive person who also makes very good money. The entire department that have elected officials on the City Payroll also get paid good salaries.

The officials first need to be elected to that position and the citizens are in charge of election result.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
The City Manager makes good money and about 1 1/2 years ago his salary was almost doubled to $150,000 per year. He has a supportive person who also makes very good money. The entire department that have elected officials on the City Payroll also get paid good salaries.

The officials first need to be elected to that position and the citizens are in charge of election result.
At the county level, the county manager is an appointed position, not an elected one.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,245,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Um... you "spoke out" against Port St. Lucie two years ago because you thought it was boring and there weren't enough Hispanics for you.
And those are both valid complaints. Some people like a diverse population of people and other parts of the state are far more exciting. Port Saint Lucie is too laid back for some, and something like that would be fine if it was near a major city, which it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Keeping with your negative remarks will be fantastic if those naysayers, like yourself, just leave the area. Oh and when or if you do please don't forget there are many other towns in Florida that may bless you for your negativity but surely not PSL.

My family loves PSL and if people do not cherish this town then either go away or stop saying negative remarks about us... People argue and it becomes fun but not serious. We do love our town and we are trying...What about you? R U Sitting back and enjoying the fruits of those that try?
I don't need to leave the area as I'm not in the area. At least that's what my location right above my post claims. And what do you mean by "other towns that will bless me for my negativity"? You can enjoy Port Saint Lucie all you want, I never said you can't, but that doesn't mean you have to censor other's who expose its downfalls.

This site is a collection of other's opinions and I think that we should at least try to be respectful of others.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,748,386 times
We can discuss ideas, opinions, thoughts and facts.

We can NOT discuss the member who is expressing their ideas, opinions, thoughts or facts.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
And those are both valid complaints. Some people like a diverse population of people and other parts of the state are far more exciting. Port Saint Lucie is too laid back for some, and something like that would be fine if it was near a major city, which it isn't.
I won't argue with you over the "laid backness" because people don't move to the Treasure Coast for excitement. They move there to get away from the excitement.

BUT, with the Hispanic thing, I think you're still stretching. The number of Hispanics have risen as they fled South Florida, but the majority blend into the population and don't become a "visible" minority. No decrepit ghettos of Guatemalans, etc. The Jones' next to the Jimenezes, and you might not even know it. Many of them are South American, so someone you think looks like a Southern European might actually be from Argentina.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 AM

578 posts, read 1,775,808 times
For some reason the video does not load. I will try from home. You know we went to a yard sale last weekend (one that was illegal) and I asked the guy if he was afraid of getting caught and he said that he would have registered the yard sale but since he does not have a lease he can't prove residence at the house because he is living month to month. Now looking at this guy (not being judgemental well sort of) it was obvious to me that he could not afford to rent legitimately because he did not have a job (all but said so) What struck me was that I beleive the house he was living in was going into foreclosure and the owners were renting to who ever and pocketing the money. The guy must know he would be evicted anytime when the bank came for the house. That scares me when you think people going into foreclosure abandon their house and rent it for what ever until the bank takes it. It's a scam and it invites undeireables into the neighborhood. It could happen anywhere foreclosures are happening.

In fact in Miami there is a guy acting like a real estate agent taking homeless people around finding abandoned houses, breaking in and setting them up. The Police don't care because it is only a crime if it is reported. The banks don't care because someone is watching the property so they are not going to report it. The only draw back is no electricity or running water.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,194,261 times
I just got the video to load and what it says is basically the the video could be about any place in the United Sates. We are in trouble economically all over. Not just in PSL. Insert any other citys name in the video and it says the same thing.

We are all suffering ...all over.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
I just got the video to load and what it says is basically the the video could be about any place in the United Sates. We are in trouble economically all over. Not just in PSL. Insert any other citys name in the video and it says the same thing.

We are all suffering ...all over.
AMEN!!!! Clap, Clap, Clap.

The recession is NOT Port St. Lucie, nor is it a USA problem - it is INTERNATIONAL!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 AM

573 posts, read 2,441,857 times
what a ridiculous video...that could be anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach