Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 PM

17 posts, read 47,751 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if there are any area's around that are horse friendly? I heard that Jupiter is? Also interested in if there are good riding trails in that area. Looking to relocate with my horse. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,333,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palgal View Post
Can anyone tell me if there are any area's around that are horse friendly? I heard that Jupiter is? Also interested in if there are good riding trails in that area. Looking to relocate with my horse. Thanks
Western Fort Pierce most likely has some areas. As will White City. I know one of the developments near Southern Oaks Middle School in PSL (might actually be called Southern Oaks) has stables.....

Also, there is actually a development in Northern PSL off of Midway Road called "Pony Pines" or something similar, where lots of the residents have acreage and horses.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,832,145 times
And up here in Vero Beach west there are tons of horse people. north of the mall on 66th. BUT I don't think there are any trails and such right here...but dont go by me, I never checked Just saw MANY properties with people, farms and horses ...I do see them riding along the back roads (our roads are not all paved but it doesnt look like any fun lol.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,012,718 times
Martin County is quite horsey as well.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 AM

14,652 posts, read 9,642,968 times
Look in Palm City Farms... which is in Martin County.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:54 AM

51 posts, read 129,480 times
Ocala....horse capitol of the world.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM

265 posts, read 902,091 times
Horse People!!!! Now we are talking my language!!!!

All of the Treasure Coast is horse freindly!!!! We are within one hour of many many great riding spots! And the horse boarding oppurtunities are endless and fit any and all budgets.

If you want to ride - just PM me! I am always looking for new trail buddies!

I "horse camped" this weekend at Dupuis in Indiantown - a wonderful equestrian area. The place was packed, the South Florida Trail Riders had an event there this weekend. They are a wonder, fun, friendly group of people that trail ride and camp all over the state!

If you want specific horse info, just ask!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Horse People!!!! Now we are talking my language!!!!

All of the Treasure Coast is horse freindly!!!! We are within one hour of many many great riding spots! And the horse boarding oppurtunities are endless and fit any and all budgets.

If you want to ride - just PM me! I am always looking for new trail buddies!

I "horse camped" this weekend at Dupuis in Indiantown - a wonderful equestrian area. The place was packed, the South Florida Trail Riders had an event there this weekend. They are a wonder, fun, friendly group of people that trail ride and camp all over the state!

If you want specific horse info, just ask!
I can't wait to go out there it seems really unique. Curious, does the horse act wierd sleeping in a strange place? Do they stay in the trailer or outside? Or do they have stables for them at the campgrounds? Or do they just get used to it after awhile.

I'd think they'd be nervous feeling like prey out there. (I don't know too much about horses lol).

Old 04-27-2009, 07:56 PM

265 posts, read 902,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I can't wait to go out there it seems really unique. Curious, does the horse act wierd sleeping in a strange place? Do they stay in the trailer or outside? Or do they have stables for them at the campgrounds? Or do they just get used to it after awhile.

I'd think they'd be nervous feeling like prey out there. (I don't know too much about horses lol).
At Dupuis in Indiantown - the horses have it best! There are 3 barns and about 12 to 15 paddocks (i never counted) but the stalls and paddocks are first come, first serve. So for a weekend during prime riding weather, you need to get there early on Friday to snag your stall and paddock. This past weekend, I got stalls for my group, but was not early enough to grab a paddock So our horses stayed stalled while not being ridden. That was OK for my companions, but my horse is used to being free most of the time, so by Sunday, he was TOTALLY OVER the stall.

So to answer your question; horse camping is something you have to acclimate your horse too. We have many other places close to the Treasure Coast that offer barn space, but no paddocks, and paddocks but no barns. Those that have no paddocks, generally allow portable, battery operated, electric "pens" to be put up.

The most popular equestrian camping sights, close to the Treasure Coast:
Dupuis - Indiantown
Hickory Hammock - In between Okeechobee and Lorida on Hwy 98
Kissimmee Prairie - East of Lorida, North of Okeechobee (don't know the Hwy #)
Highlands Hammock - Sebring

We have many other State and local county parks for day riding only, no camping.

Sorry. Get me going on horses and trail riding and I don't shut up

Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post

so by Sunday, he was TOTALLY OVER the stall.

Sorry. Get me going on horses and trail riding and I don't shut up
LOL, thanks for the info. I'm sure it'll help other people alot, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach