U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 PM

106 posts, read 359,792 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple in our thirties with a son who is one. We have our house on the market keeping fingers crossed it sells we are definetly moving somewhere.

If have posted alot of times on this site about where we would "fit in". Here are the places we have considered...Miami, Cali, Colorado, Atlanta, Carolina's and maybe a few others places.

The main concerns for us are the schools, cost of living, quality of life and religion. We are not ultra religious but we are Jewish and this is a concern for us. We like Biking, Beaches, Boating, Fishing, and just hanging out with good friends which we are hoping to make.

We live in Sarasota near the beach right now and are hoping to make a move to a similar place, just not here. Is Vero beach full of retiree's too? Are the schools good? Is there anything to do? Are there other young families?

HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,421,487 times
Boca Raton is sounds like it would be a good fit for you! Or even its slightly better priced neighbor, Delray Beach!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 AM

106 posts, read 359,792 times
Lived in Boca for 5 years~ too pretentious

Do you know anything about Vero?

Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 AM

609 posts, read 2,663,549 times
Vero beach is known to be older and old money wasp. There is really no industry there except service so the other half of the social/economic spectrum is low income families. It is beautiful there as Palm Beach used to be but there is not much to do unless you like to fish.
Lisalisa is right about Boca everyone is trying to out-impress everyone else. That's an expensive game. There are a lot of Jewish families in Boca so the tolerance issue doesn't come into play.
Southend West palm is nice. They have all kinds of folks, it's quiet and it's close to everything. The cops watch the area closely because most of the city leaders live in that area.

Last edited by dennis s; 04-03-2007 at 08:13 AM..

Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 AM
isa

13 posts, read 58,722 times
Default about vero

i went to check it out and spoke to the rabbi, things are starting to grow there, and there are lots of activities with the synagog, i was thinking also about stuart, boca too is too pretencious for me

Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 AM

13,327 posts, read 30,288,691 times
Is Vero as far north as you want to go? We are getting serious about the Amelia Island/Jax area.
Are you still considering Colorado? Denver has a vibrant Jewish community--but no beach.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 AM
isa

13 posts, read 58,722 times
Default vero/amelia island

funny i am trying to make up my mind about that now, i stayed in amelia island for 4 months, no synagog, you must go to jax for everything, including a synagog, 1 hour
but it is lovely, work is hard to find, i am trying to deal with all these dilemnas right now

Old 04-03-2007, 09:05 AM

2,764 posts, read 2,719,315 times
[quote=dennyboy;529759]Vero beach is known to be older and old money wasp. QUOTE]

The reference above pertains to the moneyed residents who live on the island. I live in Vero Beach proper and we have very good schools and in my gated community I'd say half of the residents have young children and the other half are older. It's safe and convenient. We have our own Indian River Mall and an outlet mall here in Vero. There are no jobs however. My working neighbors are either doctors and lawyers who work in town or they're in sales and they work from home and are on the road. As far as being Jewish goes, I have no idea what religion my neighbors are, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the way it should be. People are people... religion is like sex. Whatever you're doing, just keep quiet about it.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:24 AM

609 posts, read 2,663,549 times
[quote=verobeach;530056]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyboy View Post
Vero beach is known to be older and old money wasp. QUOTE]

The reference above pertains to the moneyed residents who live on the island. I live in Vero Beach proper and we have very good schools and in my gated community I'd say half of the residents have young children and the other half are older. It's safe and convenient. We have our own Indian River Mall and an outlet mall here in Vero. There are no jobs however. My working neighbors are either doctors and lawyers who work in town or they're in sales and they work from home and are on the road. As far as being Jewish goes, I have no idea what religion my neighbors are, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the way it should be. People are people... religion is like sex. Whatever you're doing, just keep quiet about it.
It's very important to note my syntax. I wrote Vero is "known" to be older and old money.
Also note that your friends all have money. I E "gated community"

I word things on this forum very carefully because there is always someone looking to be offended.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 AM

2,764 posts, read 2,719,315 times
[quote=dennyboy;530585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post

It's very important to note my syntax. I wrote Vero is "known" to be older and old money.
Also note that your friends all have money. I E "gated community"

I word things on this forum very carefully because there is always someone looking to be offended.

Explain please what 'money' is. What makes you think that because it is a gated community, the residents have money. 'Money' is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach