Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 PM

176 posts, read 510,417 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your imput everyone its apprecited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Both of my former neighbors work at Piper Aircraft one is the HR Manager, tonight I met someone who is an editor for publishing. They are looking for 8 engineers at Piper with experience. As we say, you need skills that MATCH a place. But you know, that engineering riff raff just transient ignorant nobodies ...gee maybe it's all OLD PEOPLE working for piper....God only knows there's nothing but old farts here. I was in 4 stores tonight and ONLY saw families, 30 something couples and teenagers. African Americans, Hispanics, A Caribbean guy with his Caucasian wife/gf (mixed couples are not unusual here) and some other Caucasians. OH and yesterday at Michaels I saw a couple guys, a gay couple around 45 buying scrapbooking stuff. We also have plenty of guy couples usually around 45-60 around as well, frequently on the beach and in town. You know those gays, they LOVE boring, ugly, hick towns with no movies, theaters or restaurants.

I made an appointment today with a new dentist for a cleaning. There were so many specializing in cosmetic dentistry/implants/perio I had trouble chosing. This particular office has 5 hygenists. A couple months ago I went to a different guy who owns a 50000 sq foot office building with his practice in it. He is also the sponsor/director/founder of the THEATER we have here. You know, the kind WITH LIVE PEOPLE NOT A BIG SCREEN with Whitney Houston on it. His office stays busy. All that poor riff raff in Vero seem to spend alot of money on teeth. Does welfare and unemployment pay for implants, caps and veneers?

Piper's website begins:

"Vero Beach is a gentle, sophisticated and unpretentious town which, since 1948, has been the smallest city in the nation to have its own professional baseball team – the Dodgers. In recent years, this area has become home to America’s cultural and corporate leaders.

It’s a place where high level business deals are made on a handshake during a round of golf… new friends are easily met at the many and diverse area activities… and spirits are renewed through abundant recreational opportunities available in this lovely tropical climate."

Last edited by runswithscissors; 05-11-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
In answer to the original posters question, if I could live anywhere on the TC, it would be Jupiter. It's close to W. Palm Beach with good shopping and good eats and close to the airport.
Yes take a good hard look at Jupiter and Stuart. They have much more to offer young people. Everything is within grasp. If you could get another job in either of these areas it would definitely be worth looking into.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Yes take a good hard look at Jupiter and Stuart. They have much more to offer young people. Everything is within grasp. If you could get another job in either of these areas it would definitely be worth looking into.
I don't need a job. We're early-retired. We love Vero Beach for it's quietness but sometimes all that 'quiet' can rattle one's nerves so we head south toward W. Palm. I think Jupiter would be ideal because it's close enough to the action without being caught up in the fray.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 AM

176 posts, read 510,417 times
I leave in July theres no way I can just get another job ecspecially paying what this job pays the only reason I got this one was because they have a sister company in Orlando that I interviewed for but decided not to take it because Orlando isnt for me its a nice place but its just not what I want. I got into this company because I have worked as a independent contractor for a few of there associates. So its one of those I knew someone who knew someone situations I got lucky in other words. Its not that easy to live half way across the country and find a job anywhere trust me my husbands been looking but everyone wants a local. Theres no way around it I have to stay at least close to Vero Beach. We've been researching this move for months now and spoke to many people in the area and my only issue is that my husband wont like it but as long as hes within driveing distance to at least a small city I think he will be fine. We both make friends very easily and we are very active so I dont think we'll have a problem. I'll be there next month to scope out the area if anyone knows any neighborhoods I should check out in the Vero Beach area let me know.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 AM

Mindy, we get our city fix by going to West Palm Beach once a month. It's about 90 miles away. Orlando is a tad closer. I understand where your husband is coming from. The biggest drawback to Vero is that it is it's own entity. On the other hand, you don't get the crowds and traffic that big cities attract so it's a nice trade off.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I don't need a job. We're early-retired. We love Vero Beach for it's quietness but sometimes all that 'quiet' can rattle one's nerves so we head south toward W. Palm. I think Jupiter would be ideal because it's close enough to the action without being caught up in the fray.
I was referring to the OP since these area have much more to offer and more suitable for young people. Vero Beach is too isolated and quiet. I would be bored out of my mind living there.

There was a segment on the local news last night that showed a $40 million oceanfront mansion for sale in Vero Beach. It belongs to the Wackenhut Security Co. family. The reason why they are selling is because they moved to Jupiter Island already where the homes are much more expensive and there are more people around and activities, etc. Many people move to Vero because it's cheaper. It seems nice and quiet and all but you get what you pay for. I would rather pay more and be in the thick of things or closer to them. Besides if you ever lost a job in Vero Beach you would be in big trouble unless you want to be a store cashier.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:45 AM

To the OP: Be very careful. An employer in Florida would seldom look to fill a position out of state unless it is some unbelievably specialized job that no one is trained to do like rocket scientist or something like that. There are people from all walks of life in Florida and from all educational levels who can do any job right up to executive level. Many of the available jobs in the area that can't be filled are problematic, employers with bad reputations, employers who treat people very badly hence no one will work for them, high turnover, too much stress for the money, etc. The locals know of these employers and the problems and no one will work for them. Unfortunately out of staters have no idea. So I would recommend having a good backup plan.

As for Vero I agree with your husband. You could not pay me enough to live there since I am young and like to do things or just know that I can. Boredom and depression are not good for a marriage. The warm weather will only take you so far. After that it is real life once again.

I know the other poster cut me down because she does that to every one (not verobeach) and everything else but I am giving it to you straight. We have seen far too many dreamers come to Florida only to be disappointed and worse off. Read other posts on here and you will see. This could be a great place if you move to the right area and have a great job otherwise it is a living hell.

Look into Jupiter, Stuart, and Northern Palm Beach County instead or stay put until you actually find a job in one of these areas. If this post isn't giving it to you straight then I don't know what is. No bias and no bull here. Not trying to burst your bubble either. By the way, do not listen to the other poster (no, not verobeach). She is much older retirement age and posts on every city in Florida like an expert. Has nothing better to do than banter and give bad advice.

You moving to Vero Beach would be like me moving to some small town in Maine just for a job and the weather. Even though I like snow and cold weather....no thanks.

Just my advice from one young person to another.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
There was a segment on the local news last night that showed a $40 million oceanfront mansion for sale in Vero Beach. It belongs to the Wackenhut Security Co. family. The reason why they are selling is because they moved to Jupiter Island already where the homes are much more expensive and there are more people around and activities, etc.
Different strokes for different folks. Vero isn't boring. It just doesn't have big city amenities. Many wealthy people come here to hide. It's been called the Hamptons of Florida for this reason. Glorida Estefan has a hideaway here as to many famous or quietly rich people. When we arrived in Vero, we rented from a wealthy Orlando couple who had a Vero Beach hideaway.

The question was if you could live anywhere on the Treasure Coast where would you live. I love Vero Beach, I love the peacefulness of it, I love the beaches, I love that there's never traffic here. If I could start anew, I think I'd look in Jupiter but I hear the people down there are very unfriendly and I got this from a couple who moved from Jupiter to Vero Beach.

Soooo... different strokes. It's a juggling act. What's important to you??

Old 05-12-2009, 01:43 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I don't consider Jupiter part of the Treasure Coast, technically, though it does have a more "laid back" feel reminiscent of the other Treasure Coast cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_(Florida)

Treasure Coast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach