Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:02 AM

13 posts, read 41,476 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me with information on how i need to keep my home in SLW secure when i am not there. We just purchased a home in slw and will not be living there full time for about 2 years. We probably will be down every 2-3 months for weekends and vacations. How often do i need someone to check on the home? Any recommendations? Do I leave the fridge on or off? What about the a/c? Any guidance from those of you who have been there and done that would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM

578 posts, read 1,776,508 times
Interestingly enough I just put a security camera that I bought off the shelf in my house to keep an eye on things while I am gone. The only draw back is that you have to install DSL which is about $40 per month. In my case since I am there a bit more than you and need internet it is a better option than my $60 connection on my phone.

There must be services around that are bonded that will go by and check on your place. I have a neighbor just keep an eye on things from the outside (didn't give a key) and I gave them my number if they see anything.

What you should do is turn off the water to the house and power to the Hot Water heater. Make sure you keep your AC on set to no higher than around 82 because of Mold issues. Get a timer for lights to go on at night. The more you have the better. Have one hooked up to a radio for noise if you want to. Unplug everything you can especially this time of year with storms.

The best defense is having a neighbor that would be willing to call you if they see something out of the norm. If you have a friend in the area have them check in once in a while and be sure to buy them dinner or get them something for their efforts.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM

13 posts, read 41,476 times
thanks - exactly the kind of info i was looking for - also if you aren't there what do you do about hurricane warnings and putting up your shutters etc. ??

Old 05-27-2009, 05:31 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Great post Steve! Very informative.

Hire a lawn service to maintain the grass and bill you back home.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
We head North around the first of May after a six month stay at our condo
in Sebastian. We shut the power off to the fridge, micro wave, hot water tank,
dish washer and the stove, then change the batteries to the smoke detectors and the thermostat,set the thermostat at 80, then pour 1/2 cup bleach into the toilet bowls, and cover the bowl using a good sized plastic bag from Wal Mart to resist evaporation, pour a few capfulls of vinegar into the toilet tanks, sink and shower drains; the bleach and vinegar will resist the formation of mold. Shut the main water valve off but don't drain the pipes, close shutters, locker 'er up and hit the road. These close up directions were in the local paper. This was our first year following them, so come this Fall I'll let you know how it worked out. All the best!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 AM

Oh covering the toilets and sinks are a great idea. Believe it or not the big Roaches that live in the pipes can actually swim the elbow and come into your house through the sinks and toilets. I can't tell you how many times we have come back from being gone a week and found them on the kitchen floor dead. I asked the exterminator and he told me this is most likely where they are coming from.

The problem with shutters is hard. Unless you hire a service to check on your house you might be out of luck. I do know that in Florida you can have your shutters up during the entire season. It may not look great but if you want to protect your home I would do it. Accordian shutters are the best, cost more but are well worth it.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 AM

384 posts, read 990,112 times
In my parents community they actually had a snake come up through the pipes!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 PM

265 posts, read 904,672 times
Years ago I had a small business where I provided the service you need. Florida humidity is really rough on an empty home. You need someone to come in weekly and flush all the toilets, turn on all the faucets, open all the cabinets and check for moisture around all of the windows. They also need to monitor the sprinkler system, communicate with the lawn maintenance company and the POA of the neighborhood. And if you have a pool, add that in. Most SLW neighborhoods have very strict rules - if the exterior of your home and the landscaping fail you will get fined - crappy and snotty, but a fact of life in SLW. You really need to hire a company or make friends with a neighbor with time on their hands.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 PM

92 posts, read 356,585 times
I've gotta ask, JR,...what's SLW?

Old 06-04-2009, 05:58 AM

Is the area your talking about in St. Lucie West a hoa? The County says your gras can get up to 12" high before you get fined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach