Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,720 times

Advertisements

I have noticed these small black bugs. They hang out by the pool area. And some get into the home. I have sprayed enough bug juice to kill a horse(sorry horse lovers~just a term) They have a crusty shell. They are not roach like. They do have a crusty shell when you crush them with your toe
Anyway, what are they Any ideas?? they are also in our bath tub area and the front door. Maybe they are enjoying the bug spray Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM

578 posts, read 1,776,286 times
Wait till you experience noseeems. These are small bugs you can't see that bite your legs. In some places they are called sand fleas. I am not sure what these bugs are, may be beatles of some kind but the best thing to do is call an exterminator and get your lawn sprayed. I got some season long spray at Homecheapo and spray once a month around my entire house in order to keep the bugs out.

After Hurricane Wilma down here in Miami we were infested for about 2 years with carpenter ants and these long bugs that looked like millipeads (or how ever you spell it) Finally the Carpenter ants died but recently the other bugs began showing up again.

Don't worry it's not you, everyone in Florida has bugs of some kind no matter how clean you try to be.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,145 times
I have a sign by our pool that says "Do not walk on the grass. Grass has been treated with chemicals that can harm humans". Works well with people but those bugs just can't seem to get the picture.

he he he

Old 06-24-2009, 02:50 PM

We had the noseeems in OH too. They are a bit annoying. The key to get rid of them, a bit of vinegar and some dish soap in a cup. They are attracted to the vinager and once the get into the mixture its bye~bye bug
These are not a beetle. I did go to Homecheapo and purchased some indoor-outdoor bug spray. Sprayed the whole house. Inside and out. I swear these bugs are having a keg party off this stuff Oh, well. We are clean freaks and its "bugging" us. Sorry for the pun!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorbust View Post
I have noticed these small black bugs. They hang out by the pool area. And some get into the home. I have sprayed enough bug juice to kill a horse(sorry horse lovers~just a term) They have a crusty shell. They are not roach like. They do have a crusty shell when you crush them with your toe
Anyway, what are they Any ideas?? they are also in our bath tub area and the front door. Maybe they are enjoying the bug spray Help
If it's some kind of beetle, it's probably harmless. I see small bugs like spiders & beetles all the time and just pick them up with a piece of paper or cardboard and put them outside, but I don't have an infestation (just see one at a time.) Do they crawl very slowly? Sometimes bugs are affected by the chemicals but crawl off to die.

Regarding the posts about fire ants, in 15 years of living in FL I never experienced the pain of a fire ant attack until last week. OMG! I was always able to see the sandy mounds where I lived before, but currently I'm staying in a development with manicured lawns, so I was clueless they hide in the grass. I know you're not supposed to lance the small pustules, but I just had to do it the next day or go mad. Then I poured hydrogen peroxide on the open sores. I'm much better now, but I'll never walk on the grass again, at least not when I'm wearing sandals.

I want to add that if you keep a couple of fans blowing around you, it might help to keep flying insects like mosquitoes and no see-ums away. All jokes aside, I love bananas, but I read that people who eat them get more mosquito bites. Also, they attack more if you are wearing dark colors. I thought these were myths, but they turned out to be true. Using fragrance-free lotions helps a little, but some people like yours truly were born to be mosquito magnets.

No matter how clean you are, you might turn on your kitchen light one evening and see 1,000 little sugar or grease ants on the counter. I found that Terro is the only bait that works. I once had them on my toothbrush!

Last edited by justNancy; 06-24-2009 at 04:35 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I have a sign by our pool that says "Do not walk on the grass. Grass has been treated with chemicals that can harm humans". Works well with people but those bugs just can't seem to get the picture.

he he he
I truly believe they've built up a tolerance to our pesticides. Bugs like cockroaches have been around since the beginning of time. However, the toxins in the treatments is one reason I had trouble treating fleas outside. I tried all of the natural remedies because I didn't want to poison the stray cats that hung around my home. There's also a chemical runoff after a heavy rainstorm that can pollute our water. However, there is only so much a person can tolerate and then it's time to get out the bombs and yell "I can't take it any more." Sometimes it's tough being a human! (but tougher being an animal in a world where humans rule)

Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Not sure what they are beside annoying. They do have wings. So I'm thinking some type of beetle. but they are so small. I sprayed once again. But it should be killing them off by now. Oh, well. I'll keep an eye out. I hate to have a professional come in. We really didn't want to start that. And they are expensive.
I looked up carpenter beetles. But they were more brown and round. These nasty things are not round. Ugh!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 PM

578 posts, read 1,776,286 times
The good thing is that most pest control places do not require contracts here. They are a dime a dozen and will spray anytime you call. In fact I am getting ready to find one for my lawn. I have these small spider looking bugs all in my lawn and suspect they are doing damage to the grass. In another post I mentioned some stuff called roach prufe. This works by the bugs eating it and when it gets moist it swells and pops them. They can't build up an immunity to it. I think it is mostly boric acid but it kills termites, ants and roaches.

As far as Mosquitos go they are attracted to light or white clothing so avoid those when you are out side. Also if you eat a lot of garlic they will leave you alone. So will everyone else including Vampires LOL.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Thank God I'm Italian and like garlic

Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep111 View Post
As far as Mosquitos go they are attracted to light or white clothing so avoid those when you are out side.
I know that fleas are very attracted to white clothing. However, you're much more likely to get a bite from a mosquito if you are wearing dark colors.

I know this because I was a mosquito in a past life.

Actually, we're both right. Wear light colors during the day and dark colors at night. (What do nudists do?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach